Air Santo Domingo

EddieW

Apr 15, 2002
I spoke to Air Santo Domingo today and they said after March 15th they don't know what domestic flights they will still be flying. Are there other airlines, charter or otherwise, that fly domestically within the Dominican Republic? Specifically, I want to fly from Santo Domingo to Punta Cana.

Also, I read on DR1 info that the government was expanding highways that would make driving times quicker. Has the construction been completed for driving from Santo Domingo to Punta Cana? If so, what is the driving time now? It was 3 1/2 hours before construction - hence the reason I would rather fly.

Thanks for any info on this matter.

earosemena

Aug 18, 2002
I've been driving from Santo Domingo to Punta Cana every 5 to 8 wks for the past year. From Boca Chica to San Pedro de Macoris it's pretty much an "autopista", a wide-open road. There is a deviation in San Pedro, but the traffic is not overwhelming and the road after that is pretty decent to La Romana. The road remains good to Higuey, where you have to go through the city to turn into the road to Punta Cana. I found a gravel-paved road right after El Chevere that saves about 1/2 hour and circumvents Higuey. If you take that road you'd probably have to ask for directions. Right b4 it turns into the winding last leg leading to Punta Cana the road looks like it ends. After you get back to the main road is another 1/2 hour. Total about three hours. Hope this helps.:eek:

Last edited:

EddieW

Apr 15, 2002
Thanks for the driving info. But I've basically decided that I'm not driving. I may take a bus - but definitely not driving. I checked Caribe Tours schedule, and they don't list Punta Cana as a destination. I found another link on BocaChica.net's site that has two non-stop buses to Bavaro everyday. I'd still rather fly, but does anyone have any specific info on buses from Santo Domingo to Punta Cana?

aviastar

Bronze
Jan 12, 2003
www.www.www
It is easy to get to Bavaro by buses from S Domingo.

You should take a direct "Bavaro Express", it departs from Parque Enriquillo, Duarte Street. Now they run 2 times a day, at 7 AM and at 4 PM, schedules maybe changed lately. Anyway you can take an express to HIGUEY and then it will take you right to the bus station where you can take another bus Higuey-Bavaro.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
the anouncement was in todays (Wednesday's) papers

The are shutting down domestic operations since taxes and fuel have go up so much a flight to Bavaro will now cost 1100 pesos

HB