Entering the D.R.

Daffy

Mar 7, 2003
My husband and I would like to apply for legal residency in the D.R.
I am a US citizen, however my husband is not. His recent INS case in the US has been declined, and he will be taking voluntary departure from the US soon. Can he apply from the US for residency? If not, given his current situation can he be granted a visa to apply from there for residency?
We just want permanent residency in a Country that accepts us both. Please help. Thanks.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
More Details?

Of what country is he a citizen? Can he be admitted to the DR at all? (Does he need a visa, e.g.)?

If he doesn't need a visa to enter the DR at least you can arrive as visitors (not terribly difficult) and then apply from inside the country - there are many threads on this subject (e.g. search on this subject in the forums) and applying from outside the DR seems to be uncommon and more challenging.

It sounds like he is not eligible to enter the DR either by the way you are wording this.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
The Dominican Republic requires letters saying that he isn't a bad person from his previous countries Police. If he has a record I don't think the DR is going to take him unless he is a Dominican by birth along with that you need health tests and economic guarrantees.

My guess is that you are going to have at least one problem with acceptance.

Escott

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The subject of residency has been discussed many times on this board. In response to one question, Fabio Guzman, the lawyer who answers questions to this section, recommended waiting to apply for residency when you get to the Dominican Republic because of the chances of being ripped off if you start the process at a Dominican consulate. You will find this in http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20830&highlight=residency

What you should do is contact an attorney in the DR and get advice/assistance from him. To get anything from generalizations in response to your post, you would have to divulge a lot more personal information than I would think you would want to share with the public.

I would recommend that you contact Fabio Guzman, he is both honest, very competent and immigration is one of the areas his firm specializes in. You can reach him through his web site, www.drlawyer.com or by email to info@drlawyer.com

PS: Here is a link to info on obtaining residency that is posted on his website http://www.drlawyer.com/txt/articlesimm.html

Last edited:

Daffy

Mar 7, 2003
Thank you for the advice. We will seek the advice of an attorney within the D.R. as advised.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Daffy, that is the best thing to do. If you decide not to contact Fabio Guzman, make sure you get one who is both honest and competent. Someone others can recommend. Do not just pick a name out of the phone book. There are a great many attornies in the DR, but to avoid playing russian roulette, be sure to use one that someone you trust recommends. Good luck.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Daffy sounds about right to me..

Daffy, where is you husband from? If he is Chinese, Russian, Cuban, from former Yugoslavia or many other places, he needs a visa to even enter the country, and these are not that easy to come by.

A rather nasty question: Why on earth, if the US won't grant him residence, would the DR want to do so? I mean, the US has the most legalistic system with lots of protection for applicants- a guy I knew went there illegally, got married and is now a legal resident- so why would they refuse his case...?

Something strange here?

HB

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Re: Daffy sounds about right to me..

Hillbilly said:
Daffy, where is you husband from? If he is Chinese, Russian, Cuban, from former Yugoslavia or many other places, he needs a visa to even enter the country, and these are not that easy to come by.

Something strange here?

HB

She is being pretty coy about this guys background and I think some people will be surprised (as North Americans or Europeans) to find out that not everyone in the world can enter the DR on a tourist card.

If he doesn't need a visa then as part of getting the heave-ho from the USA then I suppose the DR is a refuge, but I suspect he is not admissable in the DR either. If they won't give him a tourist visa he won't likely be very appealing as an immigrant processed from within the USA .

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Give her a break. She plans to get an attorney to assist her, and that is the best thing she can do. She chooses not to reveal a lot of personal information on this board, and we certainly can't fault her for that. To leap to the conclusion that they are leaving the US because they are, for example, on the FBI's Most Wanted list is an injustice.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Why?

Just try to imagine what this guy has done to be denied residence status in the US, yet he is married to a US citizen?

Something smells and it ain't the cheese.....

HB

Daffy

Mar 7, 2003
Thank you Ken. Your posting is correct. I was seeking legal advice, not comments
from people without facts. I see I was also correct in being as vague as possible
in this forum. As for the other comments posted: Neither my husband nor I have
ever done anything even remotely illegal so please hold your judgements
(or find something better to do).
I am seeking the advice of an attorney since this is obviously not a professional
avenue for help.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Daffy said:
I see I was also correct in being as vague as possible
in this forum.

In a sensitive matter, someone seeking legal assistance relative to the DR is better off contacting Fabio Guzman or some other attorney directly rather than making their personal affairs public on this (or any) message board.

Good luck, Daffy. I hope it works out the way you want.