living and working in DR and being with a dominican guy!!!

cosmicjo

Feb 28, 2003
Many of you have probably read some of my replies to some of the threads on this message board

I have been going to the dominican republic for the last four years and try to go three of more times a year

however, I am now seriously thinking of moving out there but wanted to know about job prospects, places to live etc etc

i know many dominican people in the dr, mainly peurto plata but wanted to know whether there were many English\European or American\Canadians living there

Okay okay I am with a dominican and have been for the past three years but wanted to go over and see for myself what it is like to live and actually how he will be when I am around non-stop

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You are going to get slammed so I'll be first

1) You are English, know no Spanish and have been shagging a guy from the activities team at the all-inclusive where you have stayed on your vacations. More or less.
2) You probably make decent money in England but as we all know the climate sucks when compared to this place and so you want to come here.
3) You think this guy you've been "with" is yours..

4) Wake up lady and smell the stink.
a> He isn't just yours but whoever there is between your visits.
b> He has no money and no schooling, and certainly no visa to visit any country in the world besides Cura?ao and St. Martins
c> You, on the other hand, have nothing to offer the job market here. You don't speak the language, and you most certainly don't know the culture.

Sorry to be so forthright, perhaps a bit crude, but if you look up other "Love related"stories in the Archives, you will see that the responses are universally negative...

HB

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Do your homework.

There are so many resources and posts on the topic of moving here that I advise doing the legwork yourself.

The heart's investment in this matter is what caused HB to be straightforward with you. There may be a good return on that but don't let it be the reason for moving. When you want to know how a guy feels about having you around all the time, a good way to find out is with a ring on your finger.

If you truly want a change of pace, broader horizons, and a fresh start in the DR then do what it will take: a substantial investment of your time and resources. If you want to gamble that type of work on a potential mate's interest, be prepared!!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Tranquillo carina!!!

First.....HB is NOT a bully (we leave that to AZB,Golo,Jazzcom and CrissCCCCC).

Second HB is the SAGE of DR1. He's lived on the island full time, married a Dominican Lady (note I said LADY not puta!) who met his Three Golden Rules and then some! He's raised his children and schooled them here. He's now helping raise his grandchildren.
So don't get your fair feather ruffled so easily.

Third, while we all recognize that there are successful relationships and marriages between foreigners and Dominicans, we all also know they are few and far between. For evey successful story there are a thousand "conned", heartbroken and "cleaned out" people out there who thought they knew what they were doing!!

Fourth you say you've been "with" this man for three years. In that time period how much time have you actually spent on the island "WITH" him?? Three weeks? Six weeks? Three months? Six months??
In other words do you REALLY know what Dominican men are like (this one in particular) or are you basing your assumptions on long distance phone calls and letters??

Fifth - are you fluent in Spanish?? Have you spent enough time outside the resorts to be able to "live" on your own comfortably.

Six - How much has this relationship already cost you?? Are you willing to "Lose" your entire life savings by making the move to the DR?

So read ALL the threads that have been mentioned recently.

Now PM Helen, Trina, Meredith and Jane J. to hear their "success" stories.........you;ll see what I mean.

As for finding work in the DR there have been many thread recently and in the past year of so regarding same. So read the ones that are recent and then do a search of the archives for those others.

Pay attention also to the many mentions of ex-pats who were living and working on the island (some for almost 30 yrs!) who have recently packed it in and gone home to their "native" countries.

Now is NOT the time to be considering making a living in the DR!!

Last edited:

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
1st warning!

To Everybody
If this becomes a P*ssing match or a Slamming contest, I will lock the Thread, or Move it.

To Cosmicjo
Right now you have 10 post's

DR1 has---
Members: 3,211, Threads: 20,809, Posts: 119,761

Do your homework (Search, Search, and Search again!)
Ask your questions.
And Good Luck!

By the way---
Welcome to DR1!!! :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Thanks
Tim H.

Help, and be Helped.
Thats why were here!!!
added
(Now you have 9!)

Last edited:

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I won't comment on your relationship. You already know the general opinion here. But on the job issue I have to say FORGET IT! The job market couldn't be more depressed than it is now. You are not fluent in Spanish. Fluent Spanish is sine qua non to get a job. Second I don't know what your profession is but I kinda doubt that there are that many professionals that are needed here now. And third... well, third chill out or else you won't survive two seconds in the Dominican Rep.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Research

You may also want to do some reading/research on cost of living in the DR.

The electricity rates - and future of those rates - is inexplicable.

Food is very expensive.

Entertainment (adult: dining, drinking, entertainment) is expensive.

A car is expensive to buy, maintain and feed.

Also look for information on how much money you should bring with you to live for 3 or 4 months to get your feet on the ground.

It's not an easy place to live right now, nevermind start from scratch. You might be better served as a tourist for the time being. I don't KNOW, but just my opinion.

Lastly, don't mention your DR "boyfriend" when asking questions. That's your business, and by doing some casual reading on these message boards it will give you:

1 - a hint at what the responses are going to be like
2 - some clarity on the long term viability of it continuing as it did via long distance.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Stay on the Topic!!!!!!!

I have left enough of the comments, TO PREVENT THIS THREAD FROM GOING SOUTH!!!!

If I deleted your post,Go kiss the Blarney Stone!!!!! ;)

Thanks
Tim H.

Melissa

Apr 10, 2002
Sorry to but I feel as though I need to add to the replies. I have just returned from a short lived life in Puerto Plata. I decided to move down there for a year as my friends and colleagues suggested why not try a new thing in life and see what it would be like to live down in a counrty that I love. Well, I got a job at a private school and loved the children I worked with. The pay was not great for the standards that we are used to. The promises of the school were not kept and the cost of living is very high.
As I was supposed to be there for a bout a year I ended my experience 4 monthes early as life got a little crazy. The cost was one, getting mugged during the day was 2 and probably like you the guy I was with for over a year was not what I had hoped for ina a relationship. The only thing I can suggest is take time off of work and live there for amonth or so and see if that is what you really want. I don't regret going actually I regret coming home but unfortunately couldn't afford the lifestyle and the heart ache any more. I miss the country, my kids and my good friends but life must go on and I will definitly be back for vacation as it is my home away from home.
Good luck.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Interesting post Melissa: Where were you when you got mugged?
Please let us know about which school was not living up to promises made or suggested. As you well know we have a lot of inquiries and we need to be up to speed on these things.

The heart will heal, and the experience will live on forever...nobody can take that..

HB

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
www.professionalsintouch.com
Melissa,

Sorry to hear your experience didn't turn out like you had hoped. It sounds like this was a hard life lesson, but we seem to come away from them with more positives than we initially realized.

I, too, moved far away from home once and was not fully prepared for what lay ahead. It took time, but I now know I learned a tremendous amount from that journey and have used those lessons time and time again later in my life. You, too, will be able to gain strength from the experience and may one day return to the DR as a more savvy person, one who has a better understanding of herself and what she can expect.

It takes guts and humility to be able to admit it was not the right time yet. You may have no idea right now how much value this trip has for you and your future. But the sense I gather from your description, I lay odds you are going to grow tremendously and strengthen your foundation. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to hear that you will return to the DR and will have a more positively, fulfilling experience.

You go girl!

Tondra

trishdeyar

Oct 16, 2002
www.hiddenhilltop.com
Interesting trhead

Hi everyone,

REally interesting reading Melissa - I do hope all turns out good for you and I do believe as others have said that you will grow tremendously from this experience. This is an interesting thread, though it seems there are some posts that have been deleted what I've read it really interesting. I love to hear stories from those of you who did make the move (Timex, Mainers, Melissa) and whether it was a successful venture or not.

I've no desire to relocate permanently - it's a beautiful country but I'm the type of person that likes to use it as a wonderful treat to myself. I love coming home and reliving the relaxation and warmth of my trip. Jim & I actually did talk about what it would be like to live in DR - and personally, I think it would be just like here (only warmer) - eventually it wouldn't be a treat, it would just be like here - I work work work to get away for a few weeks each year!

But I still love to read all your stories - in fact, wouldn't that make a great thread? Introduce yourself, tell your story and why you post here!

Have a great day eveyone!
Trish

cosmicjo

Feb 28, 2003
well happy now ..

well you will all be pleased to hear doesn't look like I be coming back to the DR and shagging my so called boyfriend (in the words of Hillbilly who posted a reply to that effect)

I wish everyone luck who have found happiness in the DR

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Hola cosmicjo.

cosmicjo
Well Happy Now...

I hope you didn't end your relationship based, on other peoples opinions?

If so, I am not happy! :confused:

And it would be an indication that you were not ready to commit too, a real honest relationship.

There are decisions in life, that only we can make for ourselves, and no-one else. Matters of the Heart, are the most difficult.
Emotions & Logic just never mix well, it's one or the other.

I also disagree with some of wide spread OPIONIONS being offered as of late, when people ask about moving here.
Most of the responses, not all, go along the lines of....

Now is a not a good time to move here, because of *, *, *,....

I totally disagree!

When is it a good time to do something like this??? :confused: :confused: :confused:
This is not the Stock Market were playing with.!!!!!
If you have the URGE, INCLINATION, OPPERTUNITY, MOTIVE, or whatever.

Don't sit on the FENCE, watching life go by!!!

Do your homework.
Have a Game-Plan, and a back-up plan, just in case.
AND DO IT!!!

Check out these by..
JanH
http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21735

Or

mainer
http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21395

No Fence sitting there!

How about Hillbilly
Came here 40 years ago, from the U.S.
There was a Dictator in power.
There was NO INTERNET.
No FED-EX, ATM's, MONEY GRAMS.
I can only imagine what telephone, electricity, were like then.
Roads, Infrastructure.
Was it a GOOD TIME, for him to come here then!!!!!

Should Have, Would Have, Could Have!!!!
Nothing Ventured = Nothing Gained.
Etc, Etc, Etc........

I'm sorry, I went so far off topic, on you.
But I hope some of what I said gets through.

Thanks
Tim & Mechi H.

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Thanks Timex, for saying this. I'm kinda tired of the "Now is not a good Time". Now is never a Good Time to do anything - yet, we have to continue living and continue doing!

Now is Not a Good Time to get a job anywhere if you don't speak the language and have no skills. This is kinda a no-brainer. Yet, I don't think things are so bad in the DR that serious enquiries should be automatically blown off in the DR1 community. If folks are serious, they'll do their homework anyway.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Tim, you know, you are probably right..

I think our-and I am using that word generously-worries about these star-struck young women are founded on experience after experience.
Now, if the lady wants to do a JAN and haul a$$ and set up shop on her own, with no strings attached to some AI Activities guy, all well and good. We'll be happy to help out. Remember the girl that got the job as an Administrative Assistant at a major US firm's DR office? Remember the math teacher that wanted to re locate? Remember, remember?
What just pushes our (again collectively used) button is the rosy eyed, "shagged to death", Brit, Canadian, or Gringa that is throwing everything at home away to come to the sun and sex of the DR for a guy that forgot her name when she got on the plane all sweaty from the last minute "goodbye", and that will play her for every penny, farthing, pound and ha'pence to be found in her purse.

Relocation? Heck yes, but with just you, your talents and your drive to succeed, that is enough to start with. Just don't tack on that sanki chopo....

HB

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
I agree with you HB, 100%

Definitely, Jan is a example of can do!!!!!!!:ninja:
Go get em JAN!!!!!!!!

And I agree with everything that?s posted about caution.
I DO NOT DISAGREE WITH ANY OF IT.
And I do realize how many times we have had the same scenes played over and over.

I just felt that the posting of late, was more towards the discouraging side. It's nothing personal towards anybody or anyone. It was just a feeling I personally had.

Same as when you've been driving waaaay to many hours, alone on some unlit highway, at 3am, and your getting hypnotized by the markings passing under the car.

And you realize you have to take a break, roll down the window, pull into a all-night diner for a cup of java.

And that?s why I, leaned the way I did in my post.

I just Thank God, I don't have to baby-sit Anna's Forum.:cross-eye
I hope she wins the lottery for what she?s put up with!!;)

Everybody is right in their opinions, but too much foreboding can tilt the scale?s.
This Web-site, can be the Greatest single TOOL, for anybody thinking about doing ANYTHING, in the Dominican Republic. But it is only as good as the person using it.
When I see a New Member post in the Living Forum, I usually tell them.

DR1 has---
Members: 3,268, Threads: 20,969, Posts: 121,360

Do your homework (Search, Search, and Search again!)
Ask your questions.
And Good Luck!

By the way---
Welcome to DR1!!! :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Thanks
Tim H.

Help, and be Helped.
That?s why were here!!!

Chris

I don't think things are so bad in the DR that serious enquiries should be automatically blown off in the DR1 community. If folks are serious, they'll do their homework anyway.

You know, I think its just a physiological thing.
Every time I log on to the news back in the U.S..
The top headlines are about what the U.S. is doing now with regards to Iraq. It creeps into almost every phone call, I make back home.

If I could have 1 wish, it would be that GB & SH would have to duke it out in the ring, 10 rounds, watching 2 leaders beating each others brains out, and when it was finished, it would be all over.

Yeah I already know what allot of you think about my opinion, please save me the flaming, I already know the inevitable.

Well enough of my rambling BS, it 11am, I'm going to go get cleaned up, eat lunch, and get my wife's ass over too the Parquesito, for a afternoon of Presidente and Bachata!!!!:cool: :cool: :cool:

Thanks
Tim H.

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
If I could have 1 wish, it would be that GB & SH would have to duke it out in the ring, 10 rounds, watching 2 leaders beating each others brains out, and when it was finished, it would be all over.

heheh! this would be great! I have a really offensive gif of these two leaders doing the dirty - with a caption of Make Love not War! Guess who is on top!

Truly, I'm also quite tired of the "met a wonderful DR guy/women", ... these folks deserve to have their eyes opened for them. I'm just thinking, there may be a more positive way of doing this - (and I don't even hang around on Anna's forum too much)

cosmicjo

Feb 28, 2003
well ........

i would just like to put the record straight that it had nothing to do with what I read on this thread about going to the DR, it was circumstances in England that prevailed me from going back to the DR

I totally disagree with the last comment that us girls need our eyes opening, i am sure some people do but if people go in with their eyes open in the first place, they shouldn't get hurt, being with a bloke anywhere in the world is a struggle let alone when they are million miles away

i resent the posting that HB put about me shagging an anamacion guy, so what if I was, but would like to put the record straight that I did not go over that just for that and I am sure many other girls just don't go over there for that and do go over cos they love the country, culture and people

i wish I could go back as I will miss going back every few months, obviously miss the guy I was with, and also the people who have become my friends in the last three and a bit years

anyway I wish everyone luck who decides to move to the DR and for all those girls out there dont let your heart rule your head and if you go in with your eyes open then you'll be fine, only you can tell if it is right and don't let the bullies on this board grind you down!!

Dec 9, 2002
i wish I could go back as I will miss going back every few months, obviously miss the guy I was with, and also the people who have become my friends in the last three and a bit years
Jo, why are you not going to go back? I know the story about your man, but hey, what about your other friends over there? You don't have to stop going just because of Camilo, if you do stop going won't it look like you were going just to shag an animacion guy????

Take care
P xx