• Thread starter TiberiusMineola
  • Start date

Need Dentist? Consumer Tip.

T

TiberiusMineola

For those of us Gringos living on the North Coast, a real dental find: Dr. Rafael Santos, Imbert - 581 2287. Very competent, reasonable prices; he does dental implants; his son who practices with him part time is an oral surgeon; his daughter in law is an MD. English? good to very good. More? He returns phone calls! He makes & keeps appointments!! On time!! The afternoon is better. More? He uses a lab in Santiago with 2 day service. Yes, . . 2 day service. He has a caring MD-patient attitude toward foreigners I've seen little of in the DR, after 6 years. This is a gem. Imbert? A little inconvenient; 20" from POP. Well wroth it. Bookmark this one; in all modesty, a real find. A POP Dominican lady found him for me. Worth a try? Yes!!!

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
Good info TM

Anyone have opinions/recommendations for Lasix procedures in the Capital? Thinking of spending the summer there and maybe having the procedure done. What a great place to recover......... :cool:

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
braces?

I just started ortho. I truly look like an 8th grader now. Anyway, what is the scoop on braces. I am having surgery in the next year on my mouth, after that I suspect it's all "normal". If we plan a move in the next year or two (possibility, I am working on Mr. DeafHottie on that issue) will I find service. Imbert is no inconvenience for me as I suspect I would be somplace between Luperon and POP.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Lots of excellent DDSs....

I do not know this one in Imbert...

Let me know when you get here.

HB

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Jessica

Impacted #3 in the office lingo :)

My dr. is named Dr. Strange. He looks very normal though.

Basically opening a spot in the gum to place a bracket and then pull, pull, pull.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
My Dentist

... in the states was named Dr. Fantasia.

I think I'd take a stage name if I was a dentist too.

I found a really nice one in Santo Domingo if anyone needs one. Speaks Spanish, French and American.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
TiberiusMineola said:
He has a caring MD-patient attitude toward foreigners I've seen little of in the DR, after 6 years.

Really surprised me to read this. My wife and I have been living in the country for 17 years and have always found our doctors and dentists to be very caring. And I am not just talking about one location. We have had very good experience with health professionals in Samana, Sosua, Cabarete, Puerto Plata, San Franciso de Macoris, and Santo Domingo.

jessica__78

Apr 3, 2002
thats pretty cool maine girl, make sure you get enough of the good stuff, so you can be in la la land, believe me i work in oral aurgeries and i see that happen alot!!!!!

AlfromTexas

Apr 13, 2004
Hillbilly said:
I do not know this one in Imbert...

Let me know when you get here.

HB

Can you recommend a dentist in Sosua. I need cleaning,
a filling, and possible a crown.

..............After reading further, it seems the answer is probably Wendy Juma.

Al

Last edited:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
TiberiusMineola said:
For those of us Gringos living on the North Coast, a real dental find: Dr. Rafael Santos, Imbert - 581 2287. Very competent, reasonable prices; he does dental implants; his son who practices with him part time is an oral surgeon; his daughter in law is an MD. English? good to very good. More? He returns phone calls! He makes & keeps appointments!! On time!! The afternoon is better. More? He uses a lab in Santiago with 2 day service. Yes, . . 2 day service. He has a caring MD-patient attitude toward foreigners I've seen little of in the DR, after 6 years. This is a gem. Imbert? A little inconvenient; 20" from POP. Well wroth it. Bookmark this one; in all modesty, a real find. A POP Dominican lady found him for me. Worth a try? Yes!!!
I am going to call him for an appointment. Thanks,
Scott

jonfromva

Jan 28, 2003
Dentist

AlfromTexas I sent you a pm.1 year later still very happy with the work Wendy did for me.Good luck Jon

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I also recommend Wendy Juma in Sosua. Her office is on the second floor, over the post office, of the building in the small plaza almost opposite Productos Sosua. Tel 571-2767

Jon, good to see you are still posting on the board. Hope all going well for you.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Ken said:
I also recommend Wendy Juma in Sosua. Her office is on the second floor, over the post office, of the building in the small plaza almost opposite Productos Sosua. Tel 571-2767

Jon, good to see you are still posting on the board. Hope all going well for you.
I have been told that she doesn't even have an xray. I made a appointment with her for a friend who made his decision based on your recommendation and wasn't thrilled with the fact that he wasn't sure if her exam was precise.

I don't see how they can tell you when a cavity starts without an xray.

Scott

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Escott said:
I have been told that she doesn't even have an xray. I made a appointment with her for a friend who made his decision based on your recommendation and wasn't thrilled with the fact that he wasn't sure if her exam was precise.

I don't see how they can tell you when a cavity starts without an xray.

Scott

The person Scott is referring to is me. It wasn't on Ken's advice that I went to Wendy because I didn't even know Ken went to her but regardless, I went to her. Anyway, first of all, she speaks little English. Secondly, as Scott stated, there was NO X-Ray machine. She gave me what appeared to be a thorough cleaning and an oral exam after which I was told that I had no cavaties. I was unsure becaue I was having some discomfort in one tooth and was surprised that she had "missed" what I had suspected was an obvious cavity. Anyway, that was a couple of months ago and the discomfort I was having in the tooth has disappeared completely so I assume she was correct and it was just some sensitivity that I was having. Anyway, aside from the absence of an X-Ray machine ( which I really would have liked), she appeared to have all of the necessary equipment, she was professional and she did not hurt me :). She is the only denist I have been to in the DR so I cannot compare her to any others but I personally will go back to her. The price of the cleaning and check-up was 800 pesos.
Larry

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Both my wife and I have being going to Wendy and she x-rays our teeth. Barbara was there last about 2 months ago and had x-rays. It could be that she had a problem with her machine at some time, but she does have an x-ray machine.

Her equipment certainly isn't the latest; she has hopes of replacing it. But she is very personable, very capable, very thorough, and gentle. Like Larry, I appreciate a dentist who doesn't hurt me. I first learned about her through a recommendation from Hillbilly who knows her from the dental school in Santiago.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Ken said:
It could be that she had a problem with her machine at some time, but she does have an x-ray machine.

OK. I guess this was the case when I had my appointment as there was no X-Ray machine.

Larry

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
There is a German Dentist named Christian working at the Servi-Med in Cabarate. He has a new offfice with similar euipment that you will find in the U.S. I have used him many times. He is excellent. This is Dr. Plaut's building in the middle of town.