About Soy...

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Think about it: Its protein is complete, like the best animal sources -- but
it has almost no saturated fat. Soybeans have numerous minerals, including
iron and, if the processing method is right, calcium.

Soy foods are also rich in isoflavones - unique plant compounds that fit
particular human hormone receptors like keys in a lock, and may open the
door to special health benefits. The combination of soy protein and
isoflavones reliably lowers high blood cholesterol. Isoflavones also improve
overall cardiovascular health, provide some protection against cancers of
the prostate and uterus, help build bone and may ease menopausal hot
flashes.

A fine bean, to be sure. But it's no panacea - no one food is. What really
improves health is a balanced dietary pattern that relies mostly on whole
foods, including fruits, vegetables and grains. Enjoy a tempeh burger
instead of a beef patty, and you double your benefit - first by eating soy,
and second by taking some red meat off your plate. Soy foods have amazing
culinary versatility: From faux fajitas to authentic Asian feasts, they cook
up as a tasty alternative to red meat.

Protecting Your Heart

The FDA has approved this health claim for soy on food packaging: "25 grams
of soy protein a day, as part of a diet low in saturated fat and
cholesterol, may reduce the risk of heart disease." Left unsaid is research
that's shown the combination of soy protein and isoflavones to be more
effective at lowering blood cholesterol than soy protein alone. Isoflavones
have other cardiovascular benefits: They act as antioxidants, inhibit blood
clotting and improve the elasticity of blood vessels, which benefits blood
flow and lowers blood pressure.

A Weapon Against Cancer

Soy's isoflavones are believed to play a role in inhibiting cancer. In the
lab, isoflavones introduced to a cell culture medium where tumor cells were
attempting to grow have blocked the cancer cells' progress. If a tiny tumor
does form, one isoflavone in particular - genistein - helps prevent it from
developing a blood supply and subsequently getting bigger.

The most direct cancer protection you receive from soy foods, however,
relates to the way isoflavones interfere with hormone-related cancers,
particularly of the prostate and uterus. For example, isoflavones inhibit
testosterone from turning into a form that promotes prostate cell growth,
and thus, cancer.

The breast cancer story is more complex. Although there's some evidence that
soy foods rich in isoflavones may help protect against endometrial, breast
and other hormone-related cancers, there is conflicting data. While many
experts believe that soy foods are health-protective for all women, several
raise concerns about isoflavone supplements.

A Special Benefit During Menopause

By fitting into estrogen receptors, soy's isoflavones may play a special
role in helping women undergoing menopause do so comfortably and
healthfully. Some, but not all, studies find that eating soy may reduce hot
flashes. Soy foods rich in isoflavones also help prevent the bone loss that
often accelerates after menopause, which can progress to osteoporosis. Like
estrogen itself, soy builds bone. By lowering cholesterol and protecting the
heart, soy foods help reduce the risk of heart disease, which can become
greater as natural heart-protective estrogen levels fall.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
jazzcom

I wish your post was more DR, related, but for the moment I will leave it.

Can you explain your reason behind the post?

Thanks
Tim H.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
We buy soy milk powder and soy cheese in the supermarket in Sosua. Undoubtedly it is available elsewhere in the country, too.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Right!

As I was recovering from my Homer Simpson, moment "Duh".
Thanks for SOYING me the error of my ways!!

Tim H.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Re: jazzcom

Timex said:
I wish your post was more DR, related, but for the moment I will leave it.

Can you explain your reason behind the post?

Thanks
Tim H.

Thought it may help some of those living there. Just educational and thought I would pass it on.

Problem with general info that may be of importance to someone?

It may not be particularly related to the DR but certainly not related to anywhere else.

Regards,
Escott

(edited to add)
Don't own futures and don't take supplements myself. Just found this interesting to share. Thanks for your support Cleef!

Soy in the DR

There is land that certainly could be used for the growing of soyabeans in the DR climate is favorable, I really have wondered why no one takes advantage of this. Many acres are grown here in Canada but Brazil is now the world leader in Soya production. The largest user is Japan with millions and millions of identity preserve beans shipped to the orient.<br> I agree tofu tastes like yuk.

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
Actually I know of many farmres that have contemplated planting soy, but I believe their is no market for it at the momemt. Plus I am not sure if there are any refineries for producing soy products. And the people probably would need a few cooking lessons in actually usuing the bean itself for consumption.

I do however remember that after Hurrican Georges the aid that was flown into the country by the U.S. and other nations amoungst it was soybean oil. People love to cook with it! It was the best oil around that it began being sold because it was in such high demand. Of course it was suppose to be free.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I drink soy milk and have it on cereal. They say that milk and milk products cause more pain if you have arthritis. I say the cold causes me pain but I drink the soy and it's not that bad tasting.

Soy products

You do not need to process the soya bean, the majority of the world market is shipped as a bean to the users. They are the ones who do the processing, there are a couple of bean crushers here in Canada that extract the oil and use the residue soy meal for chickens,pig and cattle feed. Soya bean oil and canola oil are two of the best cooking oils available.<br>
And yess jazzcom soy sauce is made from soya beans. Another thing the soya oil is being used for is breast implants, thought you like to hear that Jazzcom.
Soy oil filled implants, also known as Trilucent breast implants, were conceived of by Dr. Leroy Young, and others at Washington University in St. Louis in the early 1990's. These doctors wanted to give women another choice in breast implants, one that would allow for a clear mammogram reading. Like natural breast tissue, the filler, soy oil, is radiolucent, while saline and silicone gel are not. If soybean implants accidentally rupture, the soybean oil was thought to be absorbed by the body, and have no toxic actions.

Soya oil is also being used to produce High Cetane Diesel Fuel for trucks and tractors and they have found that the nitrous oxide emissions are significantly lower.

All this stuff from a simple little hard tan coloured bean.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I understand soya takes on the flavor of what it is cooked in.
I once had a several course meal - all different varieties of soya - it was delicious.
I love it!
They say the Japanese have the longest life expectancy - businessmen smoke and drink a lot! My guess is the veggies, soya, green tea, small portions, and very little meat, dairy and sugar have contributed.
Soya is grown in Wisconsin.
Maybe somebody knows how to get distribution channels going. Growing it in the DR would do wonders for the economy especially if it got exported to Asia. The other cool thing is the Japanese are always looking for great places to vacation....
Thanks for a great topic, Jazz.
mk

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
mkohn said:
I understand soya takes on the flavor of what it is cooked in.
mk

Well, I actually have had it. Made in a Wok with other vegatables and fish. I remember it was not tasteful. Well its been a long time.

Wud, I take my breasts au natural. Never got into hard knockers.

On that note I never met a breast that I didn't like. Soy or otherwise:)

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
jazzcom said:
Hey Tony,

Do you think that there is Soy in Soy Sauce? That is the only time I have injested it if there is. The stuff you eat with Sushi. You like Sushi, right?

Sushi=Bait

Don't really care for Soy Sauce either

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Sashimi is raw fish.
Sushi has many varieties including avocado, cucumber, cooked egg and raw fish etc.
Nigiri-zushi has the fish ingredient on top of a mound of sushi rice with a dab of wasabe in between. There is one with sweet shrimp. It's always pink=cooked.
My favorite is nori maki which is the kind rolled in a thin sheet of seaweed. Kappa-maki contains cucumbers. Teka-maki contains tuna. They are very popular in California. Dipped in soya sauce mixed with wasabe and pickled ginger, mmmm!
There are many favorite Japanese foods which I don't find appealing. Like eel, and cod roe for example. There is much to enjoy.
Any good Japanese restaurants in the DR?

:ninja: :lick: :lick:

mk

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
mkohn said:
Sashimi is raw fish.
Sushi has many varieties including avocado, cucumber, cooked egg and raw fish etc.
Nigiri-zushi has the fish ingredient on top of a mound of sushi rice with a dab of wasabe in between. There is one with sweet shrimp. It's always pink=cooked.
My favorite is nori maki which is the kind rolled in a thin sheet of seaweed. Kappa-maki contains cucumbers. Teka-maki contains tuna. They are very popular in California. Dipped in soya sauce mixed with wasabe and pickled ginger, mmmm!
There are many favorite Japanese foods which I don't find appealing. Like eel, and cod roe for example. There is much to enjoy.
Any good Japanese restaurants in the DR?

:ninja: :lick: :lick:

mk

No matter how you lice it it is still a waste of good bait!

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
Re: Soy products

Hlywud said:
You do not need to process the soya bean, the majority of the world market is shipped as a bean to the users. They are the ones who do the processing, there are a couple of bean crushers here in Canada that extract the oil and use the residue soy meal for chickens,pig and cattle feed. Soya bean oil and canola oil are two of the best cooking oils available

I live right smack dab in the middle of soybean producing country. My home state of Illinois produces more soybeans than any nation in the world except for Brazil.

Soybeans are processed because each of its components are valuable. The oil would be pressed out even if there were no market for the meal and vice versa. Soybean meal contains 40 to 50% protein and is the single most widely used protein supplement in the world.

Raw soybeans are toxic to pigs and certain other animals due to adverse enzyme interference. Cooking or chemical treatment resolves that problem.

Interestingly, even though Brazil is the world leader in soybean production, they have built processing facilities here in the States. One of them, Incobrasa , is only 20 miles from our farm.

Why don't they grow beans in the DR? Who knows - maybe the same reason they can't grow good corn in the DR - not enough sunlight!

Swede