Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Laser eye surgery

Originally posted looking for opinions and recomendations on laser eye surgery under TM's dentist thread. Thought would be better to start a new thread.

Anyone have experiences or stories regarding laser eye surgery in the capital? I'll be in SD for the summer and thought it would be a good time to have it done and give the eyeballs a chance to rest (I can hear the jokes about the "luz" going out in the middle of the procedure).

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Dont know anything about it but am looking into it myself.

Scott

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Eye surgery......

SC, my mother had her surgery performed about 2 years ago by a doctor, can't recall his name. Their clinic is located on Independencia Avenue. They are very good, the entire family is in the business and they all have their degrees from Harvard in ophtalmology and whatever else they specialize in. I have the name on the tip of my tongue , I don't know if you've been to the Multicentros (any one of them) but they're the ones that let you get your eyes checked right there and also purchase your glasses right on the spot. Man if I can remember I would tell you but my mind is on work at the moment.....find out thru the other people on this board that live in Santo Domingo. Hope I could be of help, if any...

Jon
    (hoping to get outta the office and get a Presidente one of these days)

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

My wife's opthamologist has talked with her about the possibility of doing some laser surgery. His name is Dr. Carlino Gonzalez, he is in Unidad Oftalomologica on Av. Bolivar in Santo Domingo. Tel 687-5857, Fax 687-5936.

Post Thanks / Like

Dr. Jose Asilis at the Clinica Bonilla does lasar surgery. He is one of the best. You might want to check with him to set up an appointment. I know he operates every week in Santo Domingo.

And if you have any missionary friends, you can get it done nearly for free. They have these guys that come down and do this surgery several times a year. Just ask around at the local Baptist churches....

HB

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default thank you all

for taking the time to respond with your suggestions. Looking forward to dumping the glasses!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I have worn specs since I was 5 years old. I have tried contacts but they don't give me such clear vision as specs do. I would love to be able to ditch my glasses but I would never go for laser surgery. There's been lots of bad press over here in England recently, suggesting that it hasn't been around for long enough to determine the true long term effects. From what I understand about it there is no guarantee that it will improve your sight anyway. Also, I don't know what it costs in DR, but here in UK I have seen prices ranging from 350 to 900 for one eye! How in the hell can prices vary so much? I have also seen two for one offers!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Good point, Dominican Babe. We spent about a year in Venezuela, late 1999-early 2000. Many, many people were going there at the time for laser eye surgery, some of whom we met. Before the surgery was performed, the people were tested to determine whether there was a good chance the surgery would benefit them. Not everyone was considered a good candidate. Of those who had the surgery, not all were glad they had. One friend, for example, got rid of one vision problem through the surgery but ended up with another. In other cases, the results did not measure up to expectations. And in other cases, we have since learned, the success first experienced did not prove to be permanent.

If I were considering it, I would want to do a very thorough study of the pluses and minuses before making a decision.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I would want a cast iron guarantee that my sight would improve permanently before I let anyone start burning bits of eyes out. I've read some real horror stories about people whose sight was worse after the operation than before, and once it's done, there's no turning back is there? I think it's a really dangerous operation which shouldn't be considered if it's just because you're too vain for glasses. In any case, specs are trendy these days, they can be a fashion accessory, I know of people who wear them with plain lenses just because they look good.

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely Dominican Babe. I would take any surgery very seriously. My case study, a very beautiful lady with two of the mos beautiful blues eyes I have ever seen, was blind as a bat. She had the surgery done in Santo Domingo by these missionary doctors, via her church. Her husband was a pastor here. She was thrilled to get rid of the coke-bottle glasses she had to wear. I have not hear from her or Scott in a while so I just cannot talk about any long term effects.

Please be wise, consult, consult and consult. Use WebMD as a data base. They have an absolutely astounding amount of information about anything medical.

HB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast