Cheaper way needed-fedex wants $595. USPS wants $80. to ship

Debra

Nov 23, 2002
Thanks for your help.

We want to send clothes shoes, house hold and school supplies to Cabarete Families we met and the cost of getting it their is outragous. $595 for 150 lbs FedEx and the US post office wants $80. for 44 lbs max.

We are not rich, we just thought we could help.

Is there anyway we can get this stuff to them cheaper. I can't seem to justify the cost. It seems it would be better to bring it ourselves next year, but them the kids and school will have to wait.

Please, someone help.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
A friend of mine is president of a foundation that raises money in Canada and uses it to buy toys. They have been spending a good chunk of this money to ship the toys bought there. For the coming Christmas, they are planning to buy the toys here to save the shipping cost. If you have someone in Cabarete who is sympathetic to what you are trying to do, you would be better off sending them the money and letting them buy and distribute the purchases.

abe

Jan 2, 2002
established charitable group to work through

Go to www.sunsetresorts.com and find your way to the link to their Dominican School project. For several years this company, the owner/operator of The Windsurf Resort in Cabarete, has facilitated precisely the kind of charitable work you are doing. They have gently strong-armed Canadian airlines into donating delivery of items to be distributed to kids.

A business giving back to the community is a good business to support. They can help you. Good luck.

bobnoxious

*** Sin Bin ***
Jan 2, 2002
I've done this before...

US Mail is going to be your cheapest route (unless you can get someone else to ship it with a larger load). But it will take about 2-3 months (pehaps, or maybe I had a bad experience). Fedex is way outta line. UPS will do it for in less than 10 days, but it will be about 3X what the mail will charge. Best of luck and god bless you for your effort and sacrifice.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There are ways

One way is to use a missionary group out of Sarasota FL. AGAPE is their name. I think, Just think, I can find a contact number, maybe.

they ship stuff here for their missionaries at about a dollar a pound. Of course Customs is a whole different ball of wax...

I like Ken's idea of doing it local, but that requires a bit of control so that any money involved is well and properly spent.

You could also find someone coming with little baggage and ask them to bring it...Dominicans do that all the time, as we well know.!!!!!!

Good luck with your good thoughts and deeds.

HB

Debra

Nov 23, 2002
You have all been so kind.

Thank you all so much for your responses.

It is unfortunate for the Dominican people, that it is so hard for outsiders to help. I am hoping that this will change someday.

Carmine and I are going to visit Cabarete sooner than we had planned so we may deliver the supplies ourselves.