Bugs & Water Questions!

SummerSun

Mar 10, 2003
HELP!!!! Can anyone tell me what the insect situation is in March? I'm going to Punta Cana in 2 weeks and I'd like to know if bugs (namely mosquitoes and "no-see-ums" are a problem.
Also, is the DR like Mexico where you have to be very careful with the water......wipe off cans, brush teeth w/bottled water, no ice in drinks, etc? Please write me at Gymcat69@hotmail.com - don't want to miss any replies! Thank you, in advance, for your help! :cool:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Drink bottled water. Also use it for teeth. Ice served in hotel dining room and bar, as well as that used in most restaurants and bars is made from purified water. Such ice is widely available.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
The bugs really are not a problem, the resorts keep the creatures under control. But, that does not dismiss you from taking reasonable precautions. Bring some insect repellant and at night or if you travel to the campo wear long pants and long sleeve shirts/blouses and everything will be fine. Enjoy your visit. Regards, PJT

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Both answers receive

HB Stamp of Approval. Short and to the point.

Sun screen, some Off and enjoy.

Might bring a little Pepto fro overeating problerms

HB

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
mosquitos

DR has worst mosquitos I have ever encountered.BRING OFF WITH YOU.Dont decide to buy it when you get there because between the airport and your hotel they will have already made your first day miserable.Just use plenty of OFF and you will be fine.
Larry

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
SummerSun said:
...if bugs (namely mosquitoes and "no-see-ums" are a problem.

Also, is the DR like Mexico where you have to be very careful with the water......wipe off cans, brush teeth w/bottled water, no ice in drinks, etc?

As to bugs they tend to fly at ground level a lot so if you are outside at night at least do the repellent on your legs as you may not see them flying around unless you look down and they do bite a lot.

Use Muskol or other high DEET product - a lot of OFF formulations are really wanting in the DEET content and no great deal on price.

Ice in drinks is almost always bought from a purifier as it is cheaper than the AC to make it I think. I use bottled water - one in the fridge for drinking and a warm one in the bano for the teeth etc. But I have never worried about ice.

If you see mosquitoes drinking the water they are especially tough customers, beware.

CMS

Jan 28, 2003
bugs

The mosquitos in the DR are mild to those blood thirsty bastards you encounter in the North Eastern United states in the summer.
Remember, dengue carrying mosquitos bite in the early morning hours so be careful at all times.