Sosua Bay Hotel Trip Report

JudyM

Jan 31, 2003
We just returned from a 1-week stay at the Sosua Bay Hotel. We had a wonderful time and would highly recommend this resort.

We arrived at 1:00 p.m. and knew, well in advance, that check-in was at 3:00 p.m. so there was no problem for us. We were given our rope bracelets and were free to use all facilities at the resort. The front desk reception personnel were great. I paid for a Gardenview and requested an Oceanview ? and we got it. Just about everyone at the resort speaks English. I only wish I could speak Spanish!!

The food was amazing. We ate at the buffet, El Patio and Sabatini's. Sabatini's was a bit too formal for us, so we ate there only once. Only a few items had a surcharge of $15, but there was such a variety on the menu to choose from, there was no need to pay for anything else. I mean, if you can have a filet mignon in your all-inclusive ? what's there to complain about!!!

The waiters and maids were all so friendly and very grateful for the gifts we brought as well as the money we tipped them. They do all work so very hard and are very appreciative. We actually had maids come back to our room when they knew we were in them to say Gracias!

Also, next door they were preparing the room for new guests and they were actually wiping out the drawers in the dresser and had the dresser pulled away from the wall and were cleaning back there! If I did that once a year at home I would be happy! We were very impressed.

Yes, there are lots of stairs and I am not in that great of shape! But I looked at it as my form of exercise while I was eating and drinking to my heart's content. It became easier and easier as each day went by. No big deal!!!

The entertainment isn't the greatest, but these people put their hearts and souls into their performance and they always received a huge round of applause at the end of each performance. If you want to see some great shows ? go to Toronto or New York City!!!!

The rooms with 2 double beds are a tight squeeze ? especially between the air conditioning unit and the bed. There is a high wooden bed frame surrounding the beds and we stubbed our feet more than once. It was nice having the fully stocked refrigerator in our room and for the amount of time we spent in the room, it was just fine. Any time we did spend in the room was spent on the balcony, looking out over the ocean.

Travelers beware ? people who were boarding our plane to return (Zoom Airlines) were being turned back if they were attempting to carry on the 151 proof rum. Apparently this is such a high alcohol content that it could be used to cause an explosion on the plane. The people had to run back to the Duty Free shop and exchange the rum for a lower alcohol content. We were never told about this by anyone.

For bargaining, we were told to offer ? of the asking price ? we usually got it for that! I got ripped off at the beach for cigars. They were in an enclosed wooden box, with all the Government of Cuba seals ? but when I got home and opened it up, they were Dominican. Oh well, I should have known better. For what I paid, it wasn't a big deal. But definitely go to a cigar store if you really want the Cuba Cohibes.

That's about it. I would highly recommend this resort to my family and friends ? bearing in mind that it is waterfront with the beach right next to it. Maybe not quite as convenient as having it right in front of you.

If you have any specific questions, email me at: jamurray49@hotmail.com

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
Sosua Bay

Very nice report! Two weeks ago we were riding around Sosua and Cabarate. We stopped at the Sosua Bay Hotel to check out the view of the beach and bay area, beautiful! I did notice all the stairs, not for me with my arthritic knees. Glad you had such a good trip! SUCKS, comming back home to this COLD weather!!
John

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Good report. I had the opportunity to enjoy the evening buffet a couple of weeks ago and was very, very impressed with the quantity and quality available. For non-guests, the charge is RD400/person.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Glad to hear you had a good time

Sosua needs lots more folks like you!1.

RE: Cigars...There are no good cigars in Sosua, except at Eddy's Sports Bar and the Liquor/Tobacco Store on the corner up from Eddy's...WORD. Don't ever even look for Cubans, there are none...

HB

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I stayed at the Sosua Bay for 2 nights a few weeks back. I have never stayed at an All Inclusive in the DR before, well except the crappy one in San Pedro;-)

It was actually pretty cool. I like the fact that if you want you can just relax at the resort all day. However if you are a bit more adventurous, you could walk to some cool little local hangouts.

There was a street party one night we were there, and I was glad to see people from the resort venturing out and rubbing elbows with the locals!

The food was pretty darn good, the staff was friendly, and the hotel nice.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Judy M

I got ripped off at the beach for cigars. They were in an enclosed wooden box, with all the Government of Cuba seals ? but when I got home and opened it up, they were Dominican.--JudyM

I am ashamed to admit that I fell for the same scam my first time in Sosua.I thought they might be fakes but I haggled the guy down to 10 or 15 dollars for the box so I figured what the hell.We live and learn.I am happy you enjoyed your trip.That was a nice report.

Larry