dollars or pesos

willem

Mar 3, 2003
hi, we're coming over to DR from europe
what's best at this time, to come with dollars or with DR pesos?
If we come with dollars, can we pay everywhere, even in smalltown places? Thx, Willem

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you mean by coming with pesos, let us know what exchange rate you can get where you live for dollars or euros so we will be able to determine whether it is better for you to buy them there or here. Also let us know where you will be vacationing. The exchange rate varies depending on location. For example, the rate I get in Sosua is not quite as good as I would get if exchanging money in Santo Domingo.

If you come with either dollars or euros, you will have no trouble exchanging them here. I would recommend that when you explore the country you do so with pesos in your pocket, having gotten the best rate available in the area you are using as your main base.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
willem said:
hi, we're coming over to DR from europe
what's best at this time, to come with dollars or with DR pesos?
If we come with dollars, can we pay everywhere, even in smalltown places? Thx, Willem

1. Unless you can buy pesos at a rate = to about 22 pesos per US$ (you do the math wehre you are with Euros for pesos, e.g.) bring $ or Euros and buy pesos when you arrive (I still think bring only US$ frankly).

2. As to paying anywhere with US$ answer this : If you have candy and you visit a 5 year old child, will he want it or not?

Note generally you change $ to pesos and buy everything in pesos at stores or wherever. Echange as you need it at cambios which are all over the place, or banks if you have to. Also you can use ATM cards at bank machines and often get quite a fair rate from your bank account though the ATM fees charged for international cash withdrawls are punitive at times.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
If your in the campos and try to use dollars the exchange rate is less because they have to drive so far to the bank to change the dollars. Thats what I was told in Palenque. It didn't make sense but can't argue too much when that ice cold Presidente is sitting there just waiting to be drunk....Bring dollars and enchange them here.

Dec 9, 2002
I always go with US dollars - you can't get pesos in England as far as I know. I have in the past tried the high street travel agencys/currency exchanges, the bank, the post office and never been able to get them.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Bring dollars. When you arrive into the country, you can exhange some dollars ar the airport exchange for pesos in small bills. Because, service operators (taxi's, baggage handlers,restaurants)) there knowing you only have dollars may take advantage of you by playing with the exchange rate if you pay in dollars only. Pay in pesos. Get enough change for your transportation, hunger, and other needs to your final destination. Then, go to a exhange house or bank to exchange you money at a more favorable rate. Regards, PJT

eboy

Feb 26, 2003
can someone please clarify the entry fee...

-did my tour company cover this $10 entry fee or what?
-the airline attendant actually cautioned us before landing that we might be asked for cash on arrival, but if that were the case, ask to speak to our travel rep. beause it would in effect be a request for a bribe...
-in any event, there is definitely a $10 departure fee.

e

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hi eboy,

Greetings from Atlantic Canada.

When you enter the D.R. there is a $10 US charge per person for the Tourist Card. If you received Tourist Card(s) from your Tour Operator with your tickets, vouchers, etc. then it is included. To see a Tourist Card go to http://www.computan.on.ca/~pdowney/visa.jpg If you didn't get your Tourist Card(s) in your package you will either have to get yours before you leave from a Dominican Consulate or Embassy (or at some airports) OR you can get it/them on arrival at your Port of Entry Airport (POP, PUJ, LRM, SDQ, STI, etc.). If you already have your Tourist Card(s) (you surrender the top portion on arrival and the bottom portion on departure) then you do NOT have to pay anything more to anyone to enter the D.R.

When you depart there is a $10 US per person Departure Tax payable in $US cash (I have heard of rare instances of being able to charge it on a credit card or pay in other currencies but usually only from British Tour Operators - they then pay the $US cash). It is possible that this tax may be included in the cost of your airplane ticket (AA I believe - at least from POP) but this is not the norm for organized vacations from Tour Operators.

In short there is a $10 US Tourist Card per person required on entry and a $10 US Departure Tax per person on exit. To be positive whether either or both may be included in your package check with your Tour Operator or Travel Agent.

Gregg

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
If they give you a tourist card at the airport...

eboy said:
can someone please clarify the entry fee...

-did my tour company cover this $10 entry fee or what?
-the airline attendant actually cautioned us before landing that we might be asked for cash on arrival, but if that were the case, ask to speak to our travel rep. beause it would in effect be a request for a bribe...
-in any event, there is definitely a $10 departure fee.

e

...or on the plane then you have the $10 fee covered by the tour company. If not you don't and you buy one and fill it out on arrival. There is a little window that says "Tourist Cards" and you pay $10 and get one.

So it is not a tax (ho ho) as much as the fee for the card - as to which: one part they keep on arrival and one you keep then hand back when you leave the country, at passport control.

AA and I think CO now include the departure tax in the airfare so no more lineups to get stickers, then blue stamps ( which rubbed off the paper boarding passes anyway, etc., prior to boarding.

I would think charters probably still make you pay, though when I once flew Canada 3000 you paid them as you checked in and not the tax clerk at the boarding area thank God.

Tache

Feb 17, 2003
Exchange

We've just returned from the DR (we want to go back!!!!!!!!!!)

I am from Canada and the exchange you get for Canadian dollars in the DR is not as good as it should be. I brought US$200 and found that it wasn't quite enough. I took a cash advance (RD $1,500 on my Mastercard) and got a very good rate even with the $6 Canadian service fee. I also did an RD $2,000 withdrawal from by bank card that was not bad. The best deal was when I paid for purchases directly with my Mastercard. No service fee and the exchange rate was very good.

For local purchases from Artisanas or at a "rum shack" you are better to pay in cash pesos. You end up paying a better or more reasonable price. Even as the peso devalues against the US$, the price in US$'s does not really go down.

I would suggest going to a bank (once you are in the DR) and getting pesos either from your bank card or your credit card, but try to only do it the one time. Take out as much as you think you will need for purchases from vendors that are not able to accept credit cards. Anywhere that credit cards are accepted use the card.

I think that your situation with Euro's as your base currency will probably be very similar to my experience with the Canadian exchange rate. The DR vendors seem to be using US $'s as a set price, and both the Euro and the Canadian $ have been doing quite well against the US $. If you ask the price in RD $ you will probably get a better deal.