Safest Airport in DR...

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
does anyone know which one is the safest?

I have heard PUJ...not sure though because when I landed there, I started to look for Fred and Wilma as I thought I was part of the Flintstones

;)

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
safest in terms on equipment and tool for planes to land and so on

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Let's put it this way. The airports in the D.R. do not come with a lot of bells and whistles, they do meet international standards. There is order and safety. Ground support is enough to service the aircraft with fuel and basic needs. Aircraft maintenance/repair is fundamental, foreign airlines having a need to repair aircraft will most opt to have aircraft repaired at their own home-based facilites, if the airplane is airworthy to fly even with a defect. Defects that ground aircraft in the D.R. will be attended to by technicians with the necessary parts and tools, even if they have to be flown into the country to effect a repair to get the aircraft off the ground. Regards, PJT

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
cmedina

I think you are worrying unnecessarily.The airports wouldnt be open if they were unsafe.Just fly into whichever one is most convienent for you.
Larry

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
thanks dude

I was actually not worried. I was just wondering which one was considered the safest. You see how they say that Laguardia is one of the worst airports as far as on time arrival/departure? well, something like that.

I agree with your way of thinking

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I would guess

POP and STI

they have huge runways, low frequencies, and from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. almost unlimited visibility. POP soes have a hazard on approach, as the Cubans found out, but if the captain is awake it is never a problem...

I would imagine that Punta Cana (PUJ?) would be basic but safe since theyreceive a lot of "heavies" from Europe there....

HB, thinking out loud...

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
thanks hillbilly...

I heard something about STI and the pilot having to go around the airport to land and also something about birds.

have u heard this? also, whats the exact hazard with landing at POP?

regards

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Large mountain

Just off to the right of the flight path. Some Cuban were coming in one day and not paying attention. You can still see the scars on the hillside.

There might be some Cattle Egrets around the runway, but i havent seen any posts on that. One of the AA pilots contributes to these pages, so maybe he can answer that?

HB

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
Will say this about Santiago's airport, it's a breeze to get through. Off the plane, through customs and out the front door in about 20min. If your staying in the area wouldn't hesitate to use this place.

michelle2504

Jan 29, 2003
RANDYE

Thanks for the input on Santiago's airport when my husband and I go back to the campo to visit his family we were thinking of flying into Santiago, but now that you said it's not a hassle to get through customs or anything we'll probably fly in there.

All I know is when we land my husband will be so excited he'll probably be trying to hop off the plane as it is landing. Hehe.

Regards,
Michelle

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
Michele no kidding. Plane taxied to about 50yds from terminal. Walked out off plane on tarmac through glass door and turn right, customs is there. After customs, straight ahead to baggage claim (everything is on ground floor) turn around and go to agents for checking baggage, walk 50ft and out the door you go!