Packaged Corned Beef

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
PLEASE!!(pardon the shout, but I'm serious) does anyone know where in the DR I can get corned Beef (not canned, please) in the plastic packages????
I'm starving for corned beef and cabbage!!!
I've tried all the supermercados in Santiago, and they don't have any and won't special order, so that's out.
Anyone knowing, put it here or e-mail me at adams28@hotmail.com or flyer76m@yahoo.com.

thanx,
Texas Bill

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
He he he he. . . . .. unfortunately, I had too much of it! I actually prefer Texas style Brisket. I lived in San Antonio for 2 years and became addicted to Texas style Brisket.

When I return to NY, I was dissapointed to find virtually NO stores selling Brisket. Since I usually pack up a few little coolers with USDA meat to bring into the DR, I was happy to find one supermarket that carried "Brisket", wrapped in plastic.

I guess in my euphoria, and confusion of buying several, I failed to notice the words "coned beef brisket"!

So. . . . . .I get the meat here, marinate with liquid smoke, apply generous amounts of Rudys dry rub and start a grillin. Then when I'm all done and start actually eating the damn thing, I realize it has been "cured" with salt!!!!
Disgusting!

I still have one left, and will most likely have to make it corn beef style which I am not that crazy about.

I am not sure when I head to Santiago again, but if I do and if I still have it, I'll bring it to ya! I think it's Nathan's brand or similar.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Corned Beef

Thanks for the info. However I live in Manzanillo (Pepillo Salcedo on the map of DR) , which is near Montecristi. If you will let me know where you live, or give out your phone # I will arrange to get the package asap.
My phone # is 817-1446 celular or 579-9780 regular codetel. The latter may be difficult, since I live on the Internet.
If you happen to come to Manzanillo, just ask almost anyone for directions to BILI's house. I've been here 3 years and it's a small town.
Again, thanx for the info.
Texas Bill
adams28@hotmail.com

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Corned Beef

Thanks AJ

I have a few receipes for corned beef in my database, but can't seem to find the ingredients for the pickling spices down here.
About opening a business doing the same, I'll need a freezer/verycold box to cure in.
Major problem would be in getting satisfactory brisketts to corn.
From what I've seen of the beef here, I'd have to raise my own.
I'll probably end up ordering case-lots from the USA under refrigeration like the rest of the supermercados. That'll be a hassle, for sure.
Thanks for the input.
Texas Bill
adams28@hotmail.com