working in cabarete

RizzzO

Nov 7, 2002
Hey all
yes, i know, with a few hours of searching i'd probably get the info somehow outta this forum, but i'll just make it quick:

I'm going to cabarete this July, and plan on staying there for 1 year. I figured i need some kind of job, just to get along, i don't have the money to stay on vacation all year. I don't want to get rich, just along.
I speak english, german, spanish and french, and i don't really care that much about the kind of job i'd get, as long as it gets me going somehow.

Now, what do you people think, what are chances of getting this? Is it too risky just to just go there and look from there?

Greetz
RizzzO

btw, im 20years old, and i gotta admit, i sorta like risks...;)

marina

Jan 2, 2002
www.kitexcite.com
why are you coming here? to windsurf, kitesurf or ?

It is hard to find jobs in Cabarete that pay decently but your language skills should come in handy. What kind of job do you want... bar, restaurant, sport shop, hotel, or ?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The best thing you have going is your language ability, but even so, be prepared to have a hard time to find work, and do not expect big money.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Hola RizzzO!!!

And

Welcome to DR1!!!!!!!!!!! :classic: :classic: :D :D :cool: :cool:

Where are you from?
You so multi-lingual, I have to ask. Where have you been?

If you decide to do it, bring as much verifiable work history with you. Any documents, letters, certificates. Put it into a presentable package, with a passport style photo, be prepared to leave Photo-copies behind at prospective employers. Also a letter of conduct from the local Police would not hurt.

As soon as you get here, get a cell phone and have Business Cards, made, even if it?s just your Name, Phone #, E-Mail address.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!

Thanks
Tim H.

RizzzO

Nov 7, 2002
Well, first of all, yes, my main goal is to learn how to kitesurf, and improve my windsurf skills, i guess...

Timex: I'm from Switzerland, and here they kinda force us to learn that many languages...but yes, i have lived in various countries, e.g. in the US 1 year, in Colombia some months (my girlfriend's colombian ;-) ), and so on, so yes, i got the languages in alright.

I don't mean to get rich,not at all, to be honest i don't expect to make any extra money at all. As i said, all i want is enough to get along, to pay for food and a room, and that should do. But of course, if theres a chance of making more, I'll take it...What kinda job do i want? I don't care, really....what kinda job you suppose i could get the easiest? what pays best?

greetz
RizzzO

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
RizzO, what we have been trying to tell you that there aren't many jobs to be had for either Dominicans or foreigners. You have a good shot of getting a job in a resort or business that caters to foreigners from a variety of countries, but you won't know what it is until you get here and make the rounds. There are no unfilled jobs just waiting for your arrival. Your best hope is to be able to fill a vacancy that opened up shortly before you arrived or while you are making the rounds.

The last couple of years have been very slow in Sosua/Cabarete, and that won't help you if the coming summer is the same.

If you come, be prepared to take care of your expenses while you search for a job, with enough on the side to go back home if you decide that is your best course of action.

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
here is some hope...

hi RizzO,
from me, too a very warm welcome. Unlike the others, I want to give you some good news and hope. You are talented with languages, you are young, you don't care too much about how much money you will make, and if you have the right attitude, I'm pretty sure, you will find a job in Cabarete.
Try first all the bars: LAX, Blue, JoseOshays, Tike, Barrio Latino, Onno's. Most of the stuff is only here for a few months, so if you are just a little bit lucky you can find there an job as a waiter or bartender.
There is also a German TourOperator, very often they are offering jobs.
How is your computer knowledge? There are several internet cafe's and also providers in Cabarete, you maybe can need somebody with your language skills.
It's right business has been some slow the last year, but there still are lots of businesses around in Cabarete and good people are allways needed.
With none of this jobs you will get a millionare, but it will pay your rent and living - and this it what you want, right?
However, I also advice, bring enough cash with you, so you can get over the first one or 2 months, in case you don't find a job right away. And don't spend in this time the money for your ticket back.. just in case.
But I'm confident, you'll find a job. Just be positive, look around and you will see. Good luck!

RizzzO

Nov 7, 2002
is that right, there's internet cafes and stuff? Didn't know that...actually, don't know too much about the technical situation at all, how the DR's doing regarding modern technology and stuff...

well, good to know, yes, i do have extensive computerknowledge, i work part time in a computer shop, fixing peoples computers, setting them up and stuff...i'll look into that!

Actually, I'm kinda changing my plans at the moment..I'm thinking about working here 3 more months (August till October) to earn some money, and then get to the DR when the season starts, or a little bit earlier, mid November, something like that..might be better to have a little money on the side, just in case, as you all said.

Anyway, depends if i'll get a decent job for 3 months over here...if not, i'll just fly there and try my luck, i'm sure it'll work out somehow!

Thanx for all your nice feedback!

Greetz
RizzzO

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You know, Cabarete is

a mote in God's eye compared to the opportunity in Santo Domingo or Santiago. With your languages, computer skills and drive you really should put surfing and such on a back burner and carve yourself a niche in a major computer service market, and go to the beach on the weekends and holidays.

Think about that.

HB

RizzzO

Nov 7, 2002
yeah, i did think about that too, but no...that would be missing the whole point of my stay. See, i'm going there to get away from all that stuff, computers and such, to just switch off sometime, to surf, meet people, and enjoy life. I do have more than enough of the rest right here, that i'll be getting back to after that year.

So i think i'll stay outta the computer business....:)

but thanx anyway

greetz
RizzzO