What's the secret?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Following some recent threads (e.g.'Change') I thought this discussion would be timely. I mentioned this topic to some friends over a couple of beers last night and as a result today we all went
to visit a town called 'Fundaci?n' near the city of Ban? in the South West, about 1 hr 30 mins drive from the capital. Apparently it is quite well known and a friend of my husband's made a documentary about it some years back.

Fundaci?n is a small town, off the beaten track, but it is strikingly
well-manicured, without being anything near opulent. I have seen towns like J?nico (near Santiago) and Tenares (near Salcedo) which are famous for existing almost exclusively on remittance money from the US, and consequently many of the houses there are new and flashy (not to mention tacky with a capital T), in contrast to almost zero economic activity.

In Fundaci?n there were very few houses like this. The majority were of the very simple palm wood with palm leaf roof type house common in the SW. The difference being that all the houses were freshly painted. All the streets were spotless. The community facilities - main square, schools, hospitals, children's park, playing fields were good quality, well-maintained and again, immaculate.

People were out and about, and many were busy sweeping the pavements and streets outside their houses.

So, what makes it different? According to the friends I went with the 'secret' there apparently is good community organisation and little more. There is no showy stuff like luxury SUVs hinting at drug money or anything of the sort. Although the SW is the DR's
poorest region, Ban? province is fairly prosperous - coffee, agriculture being the main activities. People from Ban? are reputed to be very businesslike and many if not most colmadoes in the capital are run by Banilejos.

I am very curious to find out more about Fundaci?n, because it is a genuine 'model' town. In case you are wondering, it's not peopled by some austere religious sect, there were bars and music blasting out on the main square just like anywhere else in the DR. In a way it was encouraging - see what can be done with relatively little money and good community mobilisation, but also -- if it's that simple why can't the whole country be more like this???

Chiri

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Count me too as another future visitor of that town...

In a trip to the southwest with a friend I commented that the wealthiest towns in the DR are those with a strong community sense. Ban?, Barahona, Constanza, La Vega, Santiago and San Francisco de M. are good example. I wish I knew what exactly makes them different, I could bring a trainload of that to my hometown.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
DRtechie mentioned that his hometown is Bani....don't want to speak for him...but he mentioned that a group of towners took matters into their own hands and used its own time and resources to fix up part of the town...my whole mother's family is originally from Bani...very,very industrious lot, if I can say so myself...that is really the way to go...use your own money and time...under no circumstances should you count on the government....the less they know the better

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
An observation on Ban?

This is not racist.

Did you happen to notice the color of the people in Fundaci?n?

However, amongst most Dominicans, the people from Ban? are notoriously racist . They are lighter than most people in that region that has been so often invaded from Hait?.

There is a Ban? mafia in Santo Domingo and many of the major intelectuals are from Ban?: Miguel Gil Mej?a( the ATM boss), Hector Inch?ustegui, among others. At the PUCMM, in Santo Domingo, the boss is Radham?s Mej?a, banilejo....and it goes on and on...

I am sure it is the cultural composition of the population, mostly Spanish, immigrant, and close knit. The stores in Ban? are predominently owned by people of Spanish origin.

You can maybe count me in on that trip there, too...
DR 1 descends on Fundaci?n!!

HB

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
HB, I don't personally know any others from Bani outside my family...but on my mother's father's side, you can definitely see that they are very light...almost pure Spanish.....

PS There are plenty of people on this board with the capacity,willingness and means to do something substantive and lasting for some of the poor DR folk....

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
There's an old family friend from Bani...

His surname is Franjul (I am sure you've heard of them HB). One of the best human beings I've had the pleasure to meet. There's also a side of my family that comes from Bani.

I visited the town when I was a kid and even back then it was called "the cleanest town in DR". One thing that I've noticed about Bani is that wealthy "banilejos" do invest in Bani.

I don't know, maybe Chiri, our resident anthropologist can analyse it better.

CorletoLovesDR

Jul 8, 2002
Hi,

I know that a lot of immigrants from the Canary Islands, mostly traders, settled in Bani in the end of the 19th century and beginning of the 20th. Maybe the people in this town that you mentioned are direct descendants of these people, inherited the entrepreneurial skills and passed them from generation to generation. Maybe that's the secret, I don't know...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
an important point...

...I forgot to mention was the trees - all the streets and squares were planted with trees and the air was fresh and cool, in a semi-arid area. The SW is practically desert, and the mountains in the background are totally deforested. Villa Fundaci?n is said to have a temperature of 2 or 3 degrees C lower than the surrounding area, thanks to all the trees that have been planted.

On the question of race, yes, whites/lighter skinned people seemed to be over-represented in comparison to their proportion in the general Dominican population, but this is not unique to the Ban? area.

Good idea for a DR1 daytrip: the dunes and Las Salinas beach are nearby.

Edited to add - I think the Franjuls must be of Middle Eastern origin.

Chiri

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
It seems very much like community spirit and the fact that they are proud of their community.

My father has been active in this area for 25 years, it's amazing with the right person, how easy it is to mobilize a community and make it a better place to live.

It just needs that initial effort and push and it snowballs, I'm sure this is the case in some DR towns. As long as it's very obvious that it's not done for political or monetary gain, it's possible.

Power to the people!

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
My cousin married a girl from that town and everyone on my mom's side of the family is from Bani or the Peravia province. I went to Fundacion a few years ago and it seems like a very clean organized town. Banilejos are very business-oriented and they also have the process of coming into the US down. They're pretty slick when it comes to that. As a whole, the people in Bani are pretty light-skinned, I was born light-skinned myself but as the years went on I started getting a "tan" hehe..........

By the way those girls are fine as hell out there!

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
that's my hometown!!!

I was born in Bani but grew up in Fundacion as that's where my father is from. I have mentioned the town a few times on this board but few took notice...Thanks Mondongo & Chiri.

Everything that you see in that town is there because the people took charge and with no help from the government. When people started leaving the town and coming to the US a lot of them settled in NY. In order to help those back home they founded ADEFU which not only raised money for public works back in Fundacion but in many ways acted as an outside government for the town. Chapters of ADEFU have also been founded in Santo Domingo, Boston and Fundacion itself.

Each year in October the town if flooded with people from NY. ADEFU has a softball league here and the team that wins the championships at the end of the summer will go and play the Fundacion team. The best time to visit though is in late June when Fundacion has it's "fiestas pratonales".

For those of you interested in visiting I will be there in late June. Limited accomodations are available for those of interested as well.

Apr 26, 2002
Not Race

Bani is relatively wealthy, white and well-kept. But there are plenty of "less white" towns that are very pretty and well-kept, though perhaps not as wealthy. Many are in the Southwest, like San Juan, Tamayo-Vicente Noble, Ocoa, Cabral and, on Lago Enriquillo, Los Rios (gingerbread architecture lovers, eat your hearts out).

I think that being off of the Santo Domingo - Santiago - SFco de Macoris drug pipeline helps.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
DRtechie - pity I won't be here in June. Do you know anything about the documentary? ADEFU sounds like a very effective body in that the benefits appear to be going towards the community rather than individuals. Any more information? What are the town's main sources of income, where do remittances figure in all this?

Porfio, the towns you listed are worth mentioning but Fundaci?n is truly in a class of its own. Go and see for yourself!

Chiri

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
My vote for Villa Fundacion, too. Coincidentally, just passed through there this Sunday. Was staying at a beach house in Palmar de Ocoa, son needed some medicine, so husband went out to find a pharmacy and was referred to Villa Fundacion and came back commenting on how good the town looked. So for the return trip, decided to go this way, instead of the way through Quija Quieta and Sombrero. Now, after Villa Fundacion the road is pretty bad up to the main highway to Bani, but that's another matter.

Regarding Villa Fundacion itself, from the moment one enters that town, one gets the feeling there is something different to it. The many trees in this otherwise very dry part of the country, not a speck of garbage anywhere, wide streets, you don't see the blasting colmadones, people seem to have something to do. Looks like a good place to live. The high school looks prosperous, there is a large grade school. The hospital is as good as they get in a town of its size, no chaos in this place, missing were the hordes of motorcycle taxis, at least that's the impression from the outside.

By the way, it's hard to beat the delicious fish one can buy fresh from the fishermen in the Palmar de Ocoa fish stores.

My own comment passing by this town, was this was a place where I could live.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Good point about the road, Dolores: if anyone is planning to visit take the Salinas road from Ban? and turn right after Quija Quieta (great name!)

Ditto about the absence of swarms of motoconchos, but the day we went there was a loud and discordant 'bachata war' between two colmadoes on the main square.

Chiri

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I'd be interested in hearing about the Documentary as well. Heck, maybe if a documentary on how the people of Fundacion cleaned the place up and made these improvements was aired on TV, or played for Civic leaders in other parts of the country, there would be a snowball effect?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Viva Fundaci?n!

I definitely want to go back, I regret not having spoken to people while I was there. For example, I didn't see whether there were hotels. It would be a good place to stay for the weekend, combining with a visit to the nearby beaches and the Ban? dunes. They could develop ecotourism, domestic tourism on the strength of the place's beauty and peace. Done in the right way they would attract the right sort of visitor.

I would suggest they run a practical training course for all newly-elected municipal officials in the country: this could also be a source of income!

I'll try to find out about the documentary. My husband says he knows the person who made it.

Chiri

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
Chiri,

I wasn't aware of any documentary but I will ask my father since hie's very involved in the organization. I know they publish a quaterly newsletter but it's in spanish. I could foward you a copy of the most recent one if you would like.

There's no hotels in Fundacion. The closest one I know of is about 20 minutes away in Salinas. It's a very nice and small hotel located right on the beach. I think the owner might be a foreigner but I am not sure. I am sure there's also a number of hotels in Bani but I would have to look more into that.

As for municipal officials....there are none. Well technically there is but he doesn't get involved in the towns politics because he has nothing to gain out of it. The towns $$$ is controlled mainly by the NY chapter so there's nothing for him to steal from.

The towns main source of income is from remittance from relatives in the U.S. Fundacion used to be a big farming community but that's been slowing down over the years. The towns youth is also leaving in droves as there are no opportunities in the town past secondary school. It's sad but more and more the town is being left empty. There's also been a surge of Haitian immigrants on the outskirts of the town.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
DRtechie, it's a bit disappointing to hear that the town owes its apparent success to external support. It would be good if some of the investment was being directed at supporting sustainable local initiatives and industries to prevent migration if at all possible.

Chiri