Importing dogs

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Hi, I'm new to the forum as well as the DR. I'm trying to find out where I can get info on importing a dog for myself from the US. Has anyone here done this or know where I can find the info? Thanks,
Amy

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Certificate from a US Vet that he's got all his "Shots" put him in a cage and bring him down. If your allready here, have someone bring him.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Most places other than England it is pretty simple. You can even have the dog shipped and just pick up the dog at the Airport.

I shipped a German Shep pup to England and the poor puppy went into a 6 month quarantine. I would never do that again.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
No age No tax

If your dog is coming in via Puerto Plata, stop by and I'll introduce you to the Vet. in charge at the airport.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
When I brought my dog she had to have all her shots and rabies vacination. Then I sent the info to the Dominican Consolate in Philly. All the documents were stam[ed and approved by them. Then a week before the flight had to get a cretificate of health from the vet for the airlines. When I got here she was already stamped and approved and it was no trouble.

Sandeep

Jan 8, 2003
www.coralbayrealestate.com
Hi Amy,
I have just looked in to this recently. AA is the cheapest I have found and will carry a dog to DR from the US for $100 as long as it is accompanied (probably pay full fare for your own ticket).

However, be aware that no US / UK airlines carry dogs between May 15th and Sept 15th due to the weather.

Additionally my vet told me yesterday that for dogs going abroad from the UK, the time between the rabies shot and the dog being allowed to travel is 6 months. Not sure if this is the same for the US.
Good luck.