Thread: Importing dogs

Island Body
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Importing dogs

Hi, I'm new to the forum as well as the DR. I'm trying to find out where I can get info on importing a dog for myself from the US. Has anyone here done this or know where I can find the info? Thanks,
    Amy

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Certificate from a US Vet that he's got all his "Shots" put him in a cage and bring him down. If your allready here, have someone bring him.

Island Body
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your reply,....you're sure? No age/breed restrictions? Any taxes?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Most places other than England it is pretty simple. You can even have the dog shipped and just pick up the dog at the Airport.

I shipped a German Shep pup to England and the poor puppy went into a 6 month quarantine. I would never do that again.

Island Body
    Post Thanks / Like

Poor puppy!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default No age No tax

If your dog is coming in via Puerto Plata, stop by and I'll introduce you to the Vet. in charge at the airport.

Island Body
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks eddy, appreciate it. I still have to find a Staffy that I'm happy with but I'll contact you as soon as I do.
    Amy

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

When I brought my dog she had to have all her shots and rabies vacination. Then I sent the info to the Dominican Consolate in Philly. All the documents were stam[ed and approved by them. Then a week before the flight had to get a cretificate of health from the vet for the airlines. When I got here she was already stamped and approved and it was no trouble.

Island Body
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much, that's exactly what I was looking for.
    Amy

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Amy,
    I have just looked in to this recently. AA is the cheapest I have found and will carry a dog to DR from the US for $100 as long as it is accompanied (probably pay full fare for your own ticket).

However, be aware that no US / UK airlines carry dogs between May 15th and Sept 15th due to the weather.

Additionally my vet told me yesterday that for dogs going abroad from the UK, the time between the rabies shot and the dog being allowed to travel is 6 months. Not sure if this is the same for the US.
    Good luck.