Do I need a Passport?

andyhunt

Mar 17, 2003
My wife, our two children and I are coming to the ClubMed in Punta Cana in less than two weeks.
Normally when we travel out of the US we have never used a passport, we have used our drivers license, social security cards and birth certificates.
I saw a US travel advisery dated 3-11-03 that said US citizens are getting into DR using this type of identification, but many are not being let out of DR and back into the US without first being made to go to the US Embassy to get a passport in DR.

Is this true??? Can anyone assure me that my family will be able to get out of DR using the same documents that we used to get in?
please write me at andrew_e_hunt@yahoo.com
Thank you,
Andrew

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
See the attached. Perhaps it is the same document you referred to.

This is the first I have heard about Americans being refused permission to leave until they obtained a passport. If true, it has to be something new, but makes no sense for a country that is trying to attract more visitors from the US to hassle those who come because they don't have a passport, even though not technically required by the DR.

There is nobody on this board who can give you the guarantee you ask for, but I have been living here since 1986 and have never heard of an American tourist being denied departure because they didn't have a passport.

andyhunt

Mar 17, 2003
If you are in DR can you check with people at the airport there to see if this is really happening or not? Thanks, Andrew

This is from the US Dept of State Consular Sheet dated March 11.

"ENTRY/EXIT REQUIREMENTS: The U.S. Embassy in the Dominican Republic strongly recommends that all U.S. citizens traveling to the Dominican Republic do so on a valid U.S. passport. Although Dominican law technically allows U.S. citizens to enter the country on other proof of U.S. citizenship (U.S. birth certificate, Naturalization Certificate, etc.) along with a photo ID, numerous U.S. travelers have been prohibited from departing the Dominican Republic on such documents. In these cases, Dominican Immigration has required the travelers to obtain a U.S. passport from the U.S. Embassy in Santo Domingo - a process that may delay the traveler's return to the United States."

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Kind of a looney approach

Ken said:
See the attached. Perhaps it is the same document you referred to.

This is the first I have heard about Americans being refused permission to leave until they obtained a passport. If true, it has to be something new, but makes no sense for a country that is trying to attract more visitors from the US to hassle those who come because they don't have a passport, even though not technically required by the DR.

The hardest thing to understand is that they (the same immigration agents) would let you IN on the strength of alternative ID but not then let you OUT? How do they think you got in to begin with?

That said, travelling outside your home country without a passport is not a very good practice, IMHO.
Without the passport the DR immigration agents have nothing to flip through and look at and visa stamps to count, they would go crazy with boredom.

Marissa

Feb 20, 2003
passport requirements

I'm having the same problem, my passport expired a week ago without my knowledge. You can make an appointement at a passport office (big cities only, Washington DC, New York City, San Francisco, other cities I don't remember) on an emergency basis, but you need a copy of your plane ticket for them to schedule an emergency appointment. You can get your passport the same day. It is expensive, I think $150 or so. Or if you don't live by a city there are passport services that will do it for you, shockingly expensive about $300 per passport +overnight mail expenses both directions.

Its always good to have a passport if there is any question.

Good luck?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
This is not true on behalf of the Dominican Migration authorities. I spoke to the Department of Migration legal department, legal consultant Antonio de Jesus Leonardo and he is not aware of any change in policy. And I spoke at the Las Americas International Airport to Migration departure supervisor, Jose Flores (the person who would supervise the application of this supposed change in policy) and he said he is not aware of this. He says that there may have been "a very isolated case where a person who is suspect is sent to the US Embassy to get a passport, but this person would be taken there under arrest."

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
I would think you and your family should be fine, but probably for future travel outside the U.S. it would be a good idea to get a passport.

Like Dolores stated when they issued that bulletin it was probably because their were questions as to the authenticity of those "suspect" papers and they were suspect.

Just make sure you are taking orginals and have several copies of everything, leave on set at home with someone you trust and the other have on you. And if you want to be safe, have the embassy phone number handy, Citizen service office. You might want to register with them to let them know you are there, you know with the war and all. That's if you are up for an adventure to Santo Domingo.

Most of all enjoy your vacation, relax and remember bring lots of sunblock!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.

Like Dolores stated when they issued that bulletin it was probably because their were questions as to the authenticity of those "suspect" papers and they were suspect.
[/B]

Actually, my post was written to show that the information on the consular sheet does not appear to have any foundation on actual practices of the Dominican Migration authorities, and rather seems to be a unilateral opinion of the US State Department not based on fact. When asked, the legal advisor to the Department of Migration, Antonio de Jesus Leonardo said he had not been notified of any change in the policy that allows travelers to enter and depart with proof of citizenship and photo ID.

Migration Department officer Flores was speaking about rare extreme cases, so extreme that the suspect person would be taken in arrest to visit the US mission.

Later in the day, I also checked with the management of the Punta Cana International Airport (of interest to the original poster) and Jose Oliva, speaking for the airport, denied this was happening.

We have requested from the US Embassy the factual base for this consular information sheet notice, but they have not gotten back to us yet.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think I know why

Last week a huge cache of forged and forgeable documents was discovered in New York. We are talking about Drivers Licenses, Birth Certificates, Social Security Cards..the whole nine yards..Thousands and thousands of them. So any illegal immigrant in the area could have travelled to the DR on those documents.....

I would not worry about travelling to Punta Cana, but as you have already been advised, please provide your family with passports...

HB

joseoliva

Mar 18, 2003
www.puntacana.com
Dear Andrew:

Don't worry about your planned vacation trip.

As explained in the e-mail sent to you directly, we know of no restrictions or problems getting in and out of the Dominican Republic thru our Punta Cana International Airport of any US citizens bringing Birth certificates, Driver licences, voting registrations,etc.

I hope you and your family will enjoy your vacations.

Best regards

Jos? Oliva
Punta Cana International Airport

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I spoke with Susan Emerson of the US Embassy regarding this consular information sheet. She explained it was part of the interest of the US government so that their citizens get passports for traveling abroad. But she did acknowledge in the case of the DR this could have a backlash effect on travel to the Dominican Republic of US tourists and said she would be speaking to the US consular officers to see how this could be reworded.

She promised to send an email, but I have not received anything from her yet. I pointed out that in the case of the Netherlands Antilles the US just recommends US citizens to travel with passports. What is very strange here is that in the case of the Dominican Republic, the US State Department goes as far as saying it is the Dominican Migration authorities who are requiring US passports for the travelers to depart the country when this is not true.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
According to Susan Emerson, Information Officer for the US Embassy:

"Individual U.S. citizen travelers are reporting increased scrutiny by Dominican immigration authorities. The U.S. Embassy applauds Dominican efforts to verify the validity of travelers' documents and so fight terrorism, drug smuggling, illegal migration, and child abduction. However, to avoid travel delays and frustration, all U.S. citizens are urged to obtain a passport before leaving United States territory."

Note that this official statement is very different than one confirming the factualness of the statement in the Consular Information Sheet that says that the Dominican Migration authorities have sent numerous US travelers that have entered with only proof of citizenship to the US Consulate to get US passports in order to leave the country. Migration categorically denies they have changed the country's migration policy.

The government of the Dominican Republic continues to require that all US citizens present proof of citizenship and photo identification for entry into the Dominican Republic. A US passport is recommended, but other US citizenship documents such as a certified copy of a US birth certificate, a Naturalization Certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Citizenship are acceptable. US citizens boarding flights to return to the US should be able to present these documents as proof of US citizenship, along with photo identification to prove citizenship for readmission into the United States.

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
thanks dolores

I was almost ready to cancel my visit to the DR in a couple weeks over this birth certificate flap. That's all that I've used, plus drivers license in last 7 visits. The last thing I would need is to be detained in the country, because of not having a passport. That is one of the reason's that I come to the DR as well. No passport hassles.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
For someone as smart as you are

Why the hell haven't you gotten a Passport? It is cheap, easy and nearly foolproof...

I expect that back in the hollar, they just wrote down:" Ma Jenkins had a nuther wun..."
but I understand that WV Vital Statistics does have Selectric III typewriters now...

jees, you embarass the hell outta me!! Git chew a Passport feller!!

Hb, gigglin' like a fool

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
Well, you see it's like this HB. I live in Northern Virginia where there is a population base of 5.5. million. When you go to the post office to present your passport documents for an interview, there are already 22 people in line in front of you. At that's when the gates open at starting time. So, I guess if I give up an entire vacation day, I might get an interview. But, it's not guaranteed. They only take applications and give interview 4 days a week and many times, the same people have to get in line the next day. I'm sure this sounds exaggerated, but it has been written up many times in the Washington area papers. Getting a passport in Northern VA or Washington, DC is a pain in the bazooka.

I suppose if I wanted to pay $300. for a stand-in that I could get passport. Now, having said all that, as long as I can keep slipping in the country and getting out unsnagged on a birth certificate, I'll keep doing it. Though admittedly, I am prone to wallow in procrastination.

Geez, I want to come to the D.R. to remove the vestiges of winter and they are letting the S.D. streets pile up with garbage. Guess, I might have to delay another few weeks. Mercy.

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
You aren't limited to Post Offices for passport applications. Depending on your location, you might be able to complete the process at a county court, circuit court, or public library.

Just go to the following website to search for a location convenient to your home or work location.

Click here for locations.

Swede

skymall

Feb 11, 2003
Hi,

I work for an airline in the US, and I can tell you that it just makes everything so much easier for everybody when passengers have passports.

One of the reasons an airline won't allow people to travel out of DR without a passport is that if the passengers don't have the correct travel documents, the airline is held responsible and will be fined by US Immigration. Although you may not need a passport to enter DR, you do need one to enter US from DR.

In other words, get a passport!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Not if you are a US citizen you don't, or a legal resident

That was not a well written post skymall.

IF you are a US citizen and have proof of citizenship, Birth Certificate, Drivers License and an addition picture I.D. you don;'t need a Passport to get back into the States, nor do you need one if you have a Green Card.. I do agree that a traveller should have his/her passport. Of course..

dispite Cheech's movie to the contrary.....

HB