Easter Week Ban?

northstar1

Mar 17, 2003
i will be travelling to one of the barcello resorts the week of Easter and heard rumours that there will be a ban on watersports and possibly a restriction on alcohol service during this time

Anyone heard of this?

debbie2332

Feb 20, 2003
Easter Holidays

My husband and I travel to the Dominican Republic every year at Easter and although, there is a ban on water sports, there is never a ban on alcohol! They stop the water sports as it can become quite dangerous as many of the local partake in the Easter celebration with a lot of alcohol and it is safer for the tourists. Easter Friday is the most celebrated day. By Sunday or Monday everything is back to normal.:cool:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
As debbie says, don't worry about getting a drink. They may call it Holy Week (Semana Santa), but it is a time for beach and booze. Santo Domingo and the other big cities empty; everyone that can goes to the "country" to party.

northstar1

Mar 17, 2003
does that mean that there is absolutely no water sports? ie. i can't kayak or snorkel?

that's too bad - i wish the travel agent had let us know before booking

debbie2332

Feb 20, 2003
It really depends on the resort. Many of the excursions that include boats of any kind are usually cancelled on Friday and Saturday. They might allow you to use sporting equipment that is not motorized.

northstar1

Mar 17, 2003
Debbie - thanks so much for your help!

We arrive on the Saturday after good friday - so, by monday things should be back to normal (ie. watersports back on)?

First time I've gone to the DR, so i'd like it to be memorable!

debbie2332

Feb 20, 2003
Everything is back to normal by Sunday or Monday at the latest.

You will be able to book excursions that include water sports for Tuesday and on.

Have a great first trip! You will be hooked and want to return year after year.

We are going to the Grand Paradise from April 8 to 22. It is our fifth trip to the DR and we are already planning the next one!

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Semana Santa

Let's hope it rains all through the weekend. That way the chopos from city don't come to polute our beaches and towns.

debbie2332

Feb 20, 2003
I certainly do not hope that it rains all weekend as I want to enjoy as much of the beautiful beaches as possible. You would think that people whether from the city or towns would all take pride in their country and not polute it. We here in Canada form groups that clean our beaches, towns and cities as we take great pride in the cleanliness of our beautiful Country.;)

debbie2332

Feb 20, 2003
You could be! It depends on the amount locals the resort gives access to. Also the resort is usually pretty full of tourists as many do not leave the resort on that weekend. Usually it has not been anything wild as the locals that are allowed in are related to people who work there. Last year we did not find the easter weekend any wilder than any other weekend at the resort. The public beaches would be much wilder as most of the locals go to there to party!

northstar1

Mar 17, 2003
thanks! although i appreciate a good wild on party, this trip is to relax for a week and destress - not be kept up all night with keg parties!

mmilone

Mar 25, 2003
The show at the hotel on the 'Good Friday' will probably be cancelled also. Maybe replaced by a movie.