schools in cabarete

kukla

Mar 13, 2003
Hello everybody, I am new to this forum. But I am not new to the DR, Cabarete.

Recently I sold my business and now I just want to get away for a few months to my favourite vacation destination.

So I want to go kite-surfing but also I would like to go to school and learn spanish.
Can anybody help me out here and give me information about schools in the Cabarete/Sosua area.

happy with any information
kukla

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
A very good school in Sosua http://www.edase.com/ Individual instruction or small group instruction are options. If the latter, they will pu you in a group at your level. There are many program alternatives to choose from. Well worth considering. Getting between Cabarete and Sosua by cheap public transportation is no problem, as you already know.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Hola kukla!!!!

DR1 has---
Members: 3,286, Threads: 21,003, Posts: 121,561

Do your homework (Search, Search, and Search again!)
Ask your questions.
And Good Luck!

By the way---
Welcome to DR1!!! :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Thanks
Tim H.

Help, and be Helped.
That?s why were here!!!

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
But I update it each time!

Look

Members: 3,288, Threads: 21,007, Posts: 121,595

Since I posted it 2 hours ago-
We have 2 new members.
And 4 new threads.
And 31 new post's

Now that I look at it, You're Right!
It is old already.

Get used to seeing it for new members posting in this Forum.
It's not meant for you OLD TIMERS !:lick:

Thanks
Tim H.

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Hi Kukla

I go to a local Spanish Professor who has a school in Cabarete called Coral Languages Institute. This is not too formal although he structures classes according to your liking. If you want to learn with a few others, he will structure that. I go by myself as I progress faster this way.

I don't have the number at hand but will take it off his billboard next to the road in the next day or so. I can really recommend Coral Languages Institute. The Professor has a knack of doing for(to) you, just what you need to progress.

I'll let you have the telephone number in the next day or so.

abe

Jan 2, 2002
If you are self-motivated......(longwinded, I admit)

here's a suggestion about learning Spanish. Save the money you might pay for formal lessons--instead buy the tapes and books that are the published versions of the Foreign Service Institute's intensive language study courses. This is a US Gov't agency charged with teaching language to diplomats and others entering foreign service. They are published by Barron's, I think.

They are without question the best way to learn foreign languages because no matter how good the local teacher might be, the fact is that you need to drill repeatedly and consistently to get the pronunciation and rhythm correct. You really need to have tapes to do that.

I was trained in French by the Foreign Service Institute method before going to the Peace Corps in West Africa well over 30 years ago. My French is still very good because the training method created the language equivalent of muscle memory that a good athlete only gets after thousands of drill-like repetitions.

It would take an exceptional teacher to be able to duplicate the quality of instruction in these tapes. You will get all the interpersonal fun stuff you want in the day to day life on the island. Yes, Dominican Spanish is not the same as what's on the tapes, but never fear. You will be so motivated by the desire to communicate with the people of this great place, that you will gain fluency very fast. TV will help too.

But, I contend that fluency will not happen by taking classes anywhere--you need the mechanical repetition and drill and the ability to practice whenever you want.

Good luck.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Before you invest in tapes or sign up with a "professor" in Cabarete, I would strongly recommend visiting the school in Sosua and talking with them about their program.

kukla

Mar 13, 2003
ok, thanks for all the info people. I will go and check them out both the school in sosua and the local professor. So yes Chris if you can get me that phone-nmb, would appreciate it. The school in Sosua looks perfect for me but i'm open for any other suggestion.

As for you're suggestion Abe, I'm affraid i'm not that self-motivated. I tried this method in my own country so I have tapes and books but it's not working for me.

Kukla

marina

Jan 2, 2002
www.kitexcite.com
Begonia, a spanish woman (wife of the owner of windsurf resort in Cabarete) also teaches spanish from her home next to hotel playa de oro on Kite Beach. You must do 10 lessons minimum within one month. Cost is $100-$125 last time I checked. People have been very happy with her.

There is also a guy by Gri Gri/Mercedes that I have heard good things about but I don't know his name or number. May be the gentleman that a previous poster recommended...

good luck!

Marina

kukla

Mar 13, 2003
Chris, I don't know if you had the time yet, but I would really appreciate if you could get me that phn-nmb from that professor in Cabarete.

Thanks

kukla