Beer, the true barometer of inflation.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Well!

We all can be assured there is inflation to remind us of the economic woes in the country. The beer and tobacco industries, Cervecer?a Nacional Dominicana and the Industria de Tabaco Le?n Jimenes, have raised their prices. Presidente grande is now 27 pesos, 18 pesos for the peque?a and 12 pesos for the peque?ita. Marlboro 20 pack is 26 pesos and the 10 pack is 13 pesos.

I can handle paying higher prices for fuel, blackouts, strikes, no water, Pepe, no change (cambio), traffic jams, tolls, public toilets, two-way traffic on one-ways, waiting long hours in gov?t office lines, crowded buses, AMET, no camiones now-come back later, street vendors, large menu's - one item available, yes men and Hippo. But, the price increase of beer is just about too much to manage, don?t think my limited budget will be able to withstand it.

Beer, the true barometer of inflation.

I just may have to go for a walk and see some Dominican smiles to calm myself down.

Just venting, Regards, PJT

Last edited:

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Beer distance tables

I was thinking, the distance tables for the whole country will have to be reformulated downward because the ch?feres will not be able to afford the quota as it now stands. For example: The distance of Santo Domingo to Santiago is a 6 Grande tariff, the old price $RD 25 cada uno, would have the cost of the trip at $RD 150. Presently the price for the Grande at $RD 27 brings the cost to $RD 162.

To keep the cost of the trip at the former level the tariff would have to be revised under the new beer prices. The tariff would have to reflect: 2 Grandes-$RD 54, 2 Peque?as-$RD 36, and 5 Peque?itas-$RD 60 or a reasonable substitute, to bring it to the $RD 150 level. Beer consumption would be reduced and there would be less zig-for-zag on the Autopista Duarte.

If this is now going to be the case ,will Cervecer?a Nacional Dominicana be willing to subsidize the publishing of a new tariff?

Regards, PJT

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Talk to your guy!!!!

When my guy at the Colmado told me about the price increase, I responded with the Colmado across the street would keep the old price for me, if I moved our account over there.:angry:

I had some people in from NY for 14 days. (Started as just 2 guys, after the 2nd day, they had 2 girl-friends.)

Saturday, as I was paying my tab, we were discussing the above.
My TAB for just the Cervesa came to 6,500. Pesos.

( I keep the tab book, I present each time we use it, and take it home with me. It's sucks when I don't have it on me, No book=No credit! I have actually had to go get it, if I didn't have the dinero in my pocket!)

He's keeping me at the old price:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Thanks
Tim H.:angry:

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
Out in the campo from where my husband is from we have been paying 30 pesos for a grande for the last two years. To go and find it at 25-27 you have to walk about half a kilometer into the mountains. Some colmados just love to take advantage of the already poor campesinos.

One of the reasons trips to the capital were so much fun was one could drink and drink and drink and get great cold beer, with out campo colomado prices...