Is it possible?

Negro Lindo

Dec 26, 2002
Okay everyone, I have heard the horrifying stories of mailing things to the DR via regular mail, but I sent something there back in December and of course never got there. I was mailing it to San Juan de la Maguana, Juan de Herrera if that means anything to anyone. I wonder if there would be a way for me to track it down or find out which post office, airport, or trash can it might be in? Anyone have any ideas? It was only a Christmas card and pictures. Let me know something.....

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Sorry to say but those people at the postal service over there only wanna steal and rob, the last president overhauled the whole thing and this one just decided to loot and plunder and mess up the service again. Best hope is to send it with someone you know down there ...........good luck

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
I'm about to mail some stuff (books), one package to the capital and the other to a pueblo near Azua. I am sending in Global Priority Mail, it's $9 usd for a large envelope -up to 4 lbs. and $5 usd for a small envolope up to 4 lbs.

I have been sending these this way for the last two years and they have never been lost. Opened, sometimes, particularly those that go to the capital. The USPS website states they reach their destination anywhere from 5-7 days, but its more like 2-3 weeks. I know it will reach the campo faster than it reaches the destination in Gazcue. There is no way to trace it.

It works for me, but I can't say it would work for others. I know that those in Azua don't steal it as they know who I am and who it's for, they wouldn't open it. The one in the capital I send to a friend who works at a bank so it's addressed to her office, it makes it a bit easier but not by much, there have been times she has had to go and collect it and pay duties on whatever it was that was sent. That's primarily why it takes longer to get to her.

Negro Lindo

Dec 26, 2002
I think maybe I will set up a box at the Mail boxes Ect in Santo Domingo or something, I don't think there is anything in San Juan, and I don't think it will get delivered from the capital to San Juan because it's like a 3 hr drive and I just don't see anyone taking mail to el campo like that......... Thanks everyone.

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
kjdrga said:
I am sending in Global Priority Mail, it's $9 usd for a large envelope -up to 4 lbs. and $5 usd for a small envolope up to 4 lbs.

I have been sending these this way for the last two years and they have never been lost. Opened, sometimes, particularly those that go to the capital. The USPS website states they reach their destination anywhere from 5-7 days, but its more like 2-3 weeks.

kjdrga's post reflects exactly my experience over the past couple of years. I use USPS Global Priority when sending to wife's relatives in San Francisco de Macor?s. Also have successfully corresponded directly with the Postal employees at the Boca Chica post office. 2-3 weeks delivery time is typical.

I agree with Robert that your December mail is probably lost.

Negro Lindo, I do have an offer for you if you are interested. I plan to travel to the DR April 21 thru May 2 and plan a trip to San Juan de la Maguana (I usta work west of there). If you have anything to send to the SJM campo at this time, I would be more than willing to deliver it for you. You could send it to me in Illinois and I would hand carry it.

Just let me know.

Swede

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
Negro Lindo said:
I think maybe I will set up a box at the Mail boxes Ect in Santo Domingo or something, I don't think there is anything in San Juan, and I don't think it will get delivered from the capital to San Juan because it's like a 3 hr drive and I just don't see anyone taking mail to el campo like that......... Thanks everyone.

N. lingo the campo I send my package to is further away from San Juan and in fact at the cruce de las yayas, you go straight to get to San Juan and turn to get to Padre Las Casas. I really wouldn't expect there to be much difference between, except San Juan is much bigger.

By the way, I had a great visit to san juan and think it is a great little town. I hear there is a transvestite night on weds. in a certain discoteca (don't remember the name)!

Negro Lindo

Dec 26, 2002
Thanks m65swede, maybe I will take you up on that offer, you can email your address here at DR1 or I will email you another email address that I use and we'll work out the details later.

kjdrga, can't say that I know anything about a transvestite night, I hung out in the town center I think it was and at El Coucho.