DR reaction on the Start of hostilities!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
I have already been in Contact with some people in the DR and heard their reactions to the start of hostilities.
I am just curious of other peoples reaction down there.
Has Hippo made a Statement? If he did was it as stupid as I expect it to be?

NOTE: Please do not make this a thread about your own opinions of the action! Keep it confined to the DR!

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Escuela

We've had people come in and talk to the students about the conflict.

I discuss articles in class I get from major newspapers - we're currently working on "authors purpose".

Some of the kids seem annoyed by it, others couldn't care less. Many have reacted by writing about it - at my prompting.

I have a few that are working together to write an editorial/letter to the editor about their feelings towards the war - in ingles - to be sent to the major papers in the US. But these are Dominican kids, so the assignment is - of course - late! They would like to see Bush "get fired by the people."

I was at a Middle Eastern (owned) restaurant last night and there were no murmurs or anything of the like, and my food wasn't tampered with - that I know.

So, from my view, I've seen no outward reactions at all, and I don't expect to see any either.

Day to day, the Venezuelan crisis is far more relevant.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Of interest is the fact the US Consulate in SD in sending to all North Americans registered with the Consulate the notice put out by the State Department warning Americans overseas of the possibility of increased threat as a result of the conflict in Iraq. The notice just appeared in my mailbox within the last 15 minutes.

I don't think there is much risk in the DR, but the notice is being disseminated here just as it is in all other countries outside of the U.S.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Cleef : I think that it is great that you are trying to enlighten the kids to things of importance in the world and to spark their interest in this.Dont be discouraged that many dont understand of care.You may be reaching a few and may be broadening their vision.

Quote by Golo:
A stupid Dominican asked me why U.S. soldiers are such good fighters and are so well motivated. I said this..."Our boys(which include hundreds of Dominicans) have a real ideology. It is an ideology that works. It has nothing to do with religious zeal, or political theories, or revolutions...it has to do with the fact that they go to war to defend their flag, their homeland and their families...that simple. They don't follow a man, or a god, or a fashionable political theory..just bread and butter baby!!!--GOLO

Why is this difficult for them to understand?It scares me how poor Dominican ideology is.

Larry

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
We have CNN en Espanol going here all day long.

The people with the lowest education levels don't really have much to say about what is going on.They know that I am an American,and a disabled Viet Nam veteran,so they automatically think that I just love any war.They like all the "High Tech" equipment,and the live coverage,but really don't seem to have any "Politically Driven" opinions.Poor people everywhere are more concerned with taking care of the basic needs of their families than what is happening half a World away.If there were not such a strong bond between dominicans living here and dominicans living in the United States,I doubt that they would care at all about what is "going on" in the Middle East!CCCCCCCCCCCCCC

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I've had some brief conversations with my novia about the war. She didn't feel too strongly one way or the other. I gave a her a few history lessons and I think she understands better now.

Most other dominicans don't seem to care all that much. We'll see how long this "war" lasts. I think if it is quick, Dominicans will forget all about it really quickly.

They'll go back to more important issues like tire burning;-)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Jazzcom, I'll repeat the reply I made to that point about Dominicans needing to fix their own country before earning the right to protest: by following that to its logical conclusion only citizens of 'sorted' countries i.e. New Zealanders and some Scandinavians would ever be allowed to express views on world affairs.

I notice that you excluded golo from this category - so is it all right for a Dominican to express an opinion as long as he is in agreement?

Incidentally the peace protesters in the DR and elsewhere are not 'sticking up' for Saddam: we are concerned about the wisdom of a war which could potentially create more hatred and instability than this world already has.

In conclusion, my point is not really about the war:

I say that golo, Pib and all other Dominicans have as much right as anyone else on the globe to express any sort of opinion.

Chiri
'don't mention the war!'

Last edited by a moderator:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
like the anti war protests...

...this debate is proving to be a noble but lost cause.

I prefer to reserve my respect for people who dedicate their lives to improving the lot of their fellow-citizens in the Dominican Republic. Many of the people at these demonstrations are tireless and usually low-paid workers in educational, health, human rights, and environmental organisations.

So -- they are doing more than a bit towards 'fixing' the mess their country is in. Some are highly educated, many are well-travelled. Many of them voted for the PLD or minority parties who have tried to break the mould of clientilism and corruption. In their spare time, like you, me and many others across the world, they follow world affairs and come to their own conclusions.

I have respect for most opinions, provided they are backed up with facts, research and convincing arguments! This does not always oblige me to agree however.

Chiri

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have VERY STRONG opinions about the "WAR",George Bush,Saddam,.......

....United States, English,Arab,Moslem, Israeli,Iraqi,and "everyone's" Foreign Policy,but you will not read about them here on DR1! Your opinions about these same topics will not be welcomed here either.Make life easier for all of us,you won't have to spend your time and effort posting your personal opinions about the "WAR"(unless they relate to the "Dominican Experience"),and I won't have to spend my time editing,deleting,or closing threads. We appreciate your concern! "Moderator" "CC"

Last edited:

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Do you think Hippos stance against the war will effect relations with the US?
I, For one, believe the the US is making a list of who is with us and Against us. I will not be surprised when the DR's president goes the the US with his hands open begging for another handout the US will not be as generous as it usually is.

Petaka

Nov 8, 2002
You did not mention Viet Nam, criss

How about a little Country Joe?

Well, come on all of you, big strong men,
Uncle Sam needs your help again.
Yeah, he's got himself in a terrible jam
Way down yonder in Vietnam
So put down your books and pick up a gun,
Gonna have a whole lotta fun

Well, come on mothers throughout the land,
Pack your boys off to Vietnam.
Come on fathers, don't hesitate,
Send 'em off before it's too late.
Be the first one on your block
To have your boy come home in a box.

And it's one, two, three,
What are we fighting for ?
Don't ask me, I don't give a damn,
Next stop is Vietnam.
And it's five, six, seven,
Open up the pearly gates,
Well there ain't no time to wonder why
Whoopee! we're all gonna die.

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I don't doubt that it will be an advantage to be on the "for" list. But I don't see where the DR's opposition has been much more than a mosquito bite. If there is a problem, I believe the next president can put things straight, especially if it is Leonel. He is well regarded in the US as a man and a leader.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Tony C said:
Do you think Hippos stance against the war will effect relations with the US?
I, For one, believe the the US is making a list of who is with us and Against us. I will not be surprised when the DR's president goes the the US with his hands open begging for another handout the US will not be as generous as it usually is.

I was very interested to read in today's DR1 news summary that Hippo is voicing strong support for the US, even though still opposed to "war in all forms". Probably hoping he won't be turned away empty handed next trip to Washington.

Petaka

Nov 8, 2002
The DR "Prez" says yes to one thing and no to the other according to DR1 News.
He probably thought our Cowboy was going to go around with a big sack of money buying UN votes. Reason why he was reluctant to say yes for free......sorry, man.
I did not mention any names or the "w" word. :)

Pavan

Jan 18, 2002
Criss has a point

I can clearly see why Criss has to say what he has to say. Most people -specially- Dominicans has not seen a modern day battle or know people who have been involved in it.

It is very easy therefore in the Dominican to sip a presidente in front of the television and say..."go get 'em".

Wars these days are fought long distance....hand to hand combat is very rare.

Criss was involved in the most gruesom war (and I insist war - not conflict as it is officially known) in the history of mankind and knows what is is all about. Vietnam was a real war after WW2.

Status
Not open for further replies.