Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What is the best part of living in the DR ?

Hi everyone. This is the first time I've posted to a forum so I wasn't sure where to post what I know will end up being the same tired story so I hope posting it here will be OK. I live in Iowa right now and have decided to sell everything I have and move to a better climate (bet you've never heard that before). I ran across some info on a web page about 'escaping America' that led me here and
    after reading about 7,328 posts I'm still left with a few questions that I was hoping to get some feedback on.
    What do you like most about living in the DR ?
    Why are there bars on almost all the windows there ?
    Is the humidity in the DR comparable to that of Florida's ?
    What am I missing about a 1,600 sq ft house w/pool,elect,gen,furn,etc... that sells for 100K in what looks like a lil slice of paradise ? <-- I'll bet there is no simple answer to that.
    Sosua seems to the most affordable as far as housing goes but I don't see anything to indicate the reason for that...is there an easy explanation for this or am I mistaken ?
    I better quit...seems like my questions are getting longer and longer.Thanks in advance for any input.
    Clueless but excited about the DR, Kari

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you read Tim's adventure yet?

http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread...threadid=21177

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default re: Have you read Tims Adventure yet ?

Hi Anna and thanks for the reply...ironically enough 'Tim's Adventure' was the first post I read. I was browsing online at the same time as a friend was...he sent it to me (an attempt to dissuade me I suspect) before i could figure out how to navigate the forum. I think it was a good post and I hope to avoid many of the situations Tim encountered but I know there will be problems. All that aside, I think I can survive if I can just keep these rose colored glasses from blinding me.
    Kari

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Larry said "we get to go to the DR with a fistful of money"

uuuhm..ok...lemme see if I have this right...Larry is the blunt, honest, no nonsense guy ?
    Kari

aka - shadley
    Post Thanks / Like

first, ignore larry, I think he has sand in his underpants this morning,.....

The nicest thing about the DR is the people... Of course the climate is great too...

Bars are on the windows to keep people from breaking in... In the DR you have to take care of yourself and your friends. Dont expect much help from the government...

As for affordable, there is a wide range of living styles you can choose to live. To live like a European/American in a major city it can easily cost you more than the US. If you want to live in a shack way out in the country and eat rice and beans it will be much cheaper...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info,Shadley and Larry too. I had my house burglarized here once a few years ago so I guess it can happen anywhere...it's no fun. But I have an 115 lb Akita now and it makes me wonder if he would be as big a deterent to those in need of my 'stuff' in the DR as he is here. As far as the city life goes I think most of us prefer that to the country life from what I saw in the 'survey for newbie's' but on an island like the DR, the city isn't far away is it ? And from looking at houses there it seems like you can buy a nice house for less than you can here and live on less money with reasonable comfort provided one has backup power, a good water source and all the lil things we take for granted here in the USA. All while enjoying sandy beaches as you plug away at your new lil business. But I can't help feeling that I'm missing something that will become crystal clear when I come over to explore this first hand.
    Kari

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

If you buy a house, just be sure it is in a gated community that has good security. There are several such residential developments in the Sosua area. Price ranges vary, but they have 24 hour security. In one of these gated developments, chances are you will have no problem. The home owners that do are those who live in an area where there are individual homes with no community organization that collects maintenance fees to pay for such very important things as 24 hour security and a generator that provides electrical power during the many hours that government power is off line.

If you are interested in the Sosua/Cabarete area and want me to put you in contact with an American ex-pat realator who is 100% honest and reliable and who can answer your questions about available housing, prices, security and generator availability, etc., send me an email by clicking on the email button under this post.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What is the best part of living in the DR ?

thats rather easy
    ofcourse the climate.
    then the beautiful island.
    the fantastic sights all over.
    The lifestyle.
    the following is probably not going over well.
    Its not the people.
    While ofcourse there are many great dominicans.
    Dominicans are not the reason why its great living here.
    Gringos have no rights here.
    Have an accident here which is not your fault.
    Your problems will be endless.
    Have a dispute with an employee that
    made false statements to the secretariat
    Your problems will be endless.
    A dominican lawyer stole a house from a friend of mine .
    No lawyer wanted to take this case as it was political.
    This case is well known here
    Talk to your own lawyer for details,
    Only due to much power did he get an meeting with the supreme court who appointed a lawyer. Its stll ongoing.
    Not many of us have this power.
    So if a lawyer and a judge decide they like your house its gone.
    You have no rights. It has happened for real.
    You shoot and kill a armed burglar in your house ..
    5 days in jail and 150 000 pesos in bribes later the case still goes on , even with a letter of thank you from Candiliero ( spelling?as it was a wanted killer that was killed.)
    This also hapened to a friend of mine.
    Real cases. Real scary..
    Renew your papers you have to pay bribes to get it done.
    In general the dominican people do not make it easy to live here.
    So i would say
    Inspite of the dominican people its great living here.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default RE: If you buy a house, just be sure it is in a gated community

Thanks, Ken...that says a lot. It was as if no one wanted to say it. I am basically guaranteed to 'have problems' unless I live in a gated community. I don't think I'm old enough or rich enough to live in one of those from what I've seen while browsing. They'd burn me out for loud music in a week...thatch roofed cabana and all. Thanks for the offer to help with your real estate connection too, Ken and I might take you up on it when I get down there. I'm still selling out and moving somewhere. Right now I'm just trying to figure out where I'm going to visit so I can get a real feel of what any perspective new home is like. Hmmm...know of any '3rd world' countries where I can live like a queen without being robbed while I'm at the beach ? It doesn't look good does it.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What is the best part of living in the DR ?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Paul Thate
    Inspite of the dominican people its great living here.

Wow, Paul...now that is scary. With that kind of thing going on it must be very risky to have any kind of business that involves a risk of injury to others...even if it's sightseeing or something of that nature like whale watching i.e. I slipped on your boat. Of course that would most likely involve only other foreigners I suppose so maybe that's a moot point.
    What's this about armed robbers ? Is this a common occurrence ?I got the impression that violent crime was very rare in the DR.
    At any rate, I'm still going to visit the island and check it out for myself...there has to be a way to make this work.Thanks for a little brighter perspective anyway, Paul.

Gleefully stubborn, Kari

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast