weather and hurricanes

laila

Mar 22, 2003
Hi everyone I have been reading a lot of information on this forum and I think it's a great idea and very useful. I am thinking with my family to move to the D.R., we have been doing a lot of web search and we plan to make a first trip before we go ahead and decide on enything. I'd like to have more information about the hurricanes and earthquakes, I read somewhere that there a lot of earthquakes but i haven't seen anyone metion it on this forum, is it a real danger like for hurricanes or is it something that does not cause major damage? I would also like to know about school, I have a three years old and he speaks spanish since we live in Spain, how are the domincan schools? Is it really necessary to send him to a private english school, I have seen they are not very cheap and i would prefer a local one if they are good.
I laso speak three languages and have been working in toursim for over ten years, would it be easy to find a job for someone like me?
I f we well our property here we will have maybe around 120-130 K to move over there buy a house, settle in and then start to look for a job. Would that be enough until we start working or we should have more?
thank you for any help you might give me , really appreciated
laila

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The answers to your questions depend in very large part on where you will be living. In other words, if, for example, you will be living in Santo Domingo the answers will be different than if you are living in Santiago or Sosua. We need to know where you plan to locate in the DR.

laila

Mar 22, 2003
would sosua be good?

we were thinking of relocate in the north cost, as I understand sosua or cabarete seem a good area to stay.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Because I live in Sosua, I would agree that Sosua/Cabarete area would be a good choice.

Hurricanes are not nearly as much of a threat to this area as they are the south coast. There are faults that could cause earthquakes, but much more likely is an occasional tremor. People living here don't even think about earthquake danger.

There are a variety of private school options in this area. Best if you check them out yourself. Prices vary. You might want to look for one of the posts by mainer and send her an email with your school question. She has recently done some investigation on the subject.

laila

Mar 22, 2003
how about work in sosua

it is reassuring to know that hurrucanes are not a very big thret in the north, how about work and emplyment, i do speak three languages and have ten years experience in tourism, could have any chance of finding somethin? My husband is a professional singer, very good in what he does, been working in tenerife for six years now, and performs every night in front any crowd, young tourist, old ones, a lot of hotel work. Could he find something over there?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Yes, there are possibilities, especially during the winter tourist season. But you really have to be here and make the rounds of the resorts, etc., in the Puerto Plata, Sosua and Cabarete area. I have a friend from Canada who sings and plays and I know he has found work. But I can't give you any of the details.

laila

Mar 22, 2003
any idea how much you can earn

you are being of great help, thanks. Just out of curiosity do you know ( avargae) how much your friend earn in a month? Is just to have an idea if a family , once you bought your place can make a living in this profession or not. and by the way what would you advice is the best time to come if we want to check out places and wrok scenario before we make a fianl move?