Seeking advice from those who are in the DR

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
Good morning from rainy Toronto! At least all the snow is gone...but I digress. I have a friend in Puerto Plata who is a 21 year old male Dominican. He is seeking some advice about what career he should ponder. Two years ago, he went back to high school and he graduated this past December. He had taken time off earlier to attend an english school (he completed that and has his certificate). He has also completed one computer course at a private school (just minor things like the Internet). Now, he is taking a German course. Since I don't live in Puerto Plata, I really don't know what advice to give him. Do any of you? Should he go to university or to a private college? In Toronto, there are places that can teach you various things at an accelerated pace. Money might not be a factor since relatives will probably assist him if he really needs it. Do these schools exist in Puerto Plata and are they worth it? I hope to hear from some of you! Please!!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
University

There are university extensions in POP. He should try and apply to one of them. He won't make it at a private, upper level college. Too much competion and too many distractions. He should probably seek guidance from some sort of councilor there in POP. Usually, what the student wants and what the student is capable of doing are two very different things. At 21 he might have an idea as to his goals.

HB

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
Thanks for the response. He's contemplating Civil Engineering (in Santiago) or computers. But there's no point in going to school for something there is no need for or too much competition.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Maryanne....since no-one else has replied

I'll ask the question that this young person should be asking (perhaps the counsellor HB suggested).

What skills are needed in the DR for what type of positions?
Where are the employment opportunities?

A look through the help wanted adds will also give an idea of what type of employment is available at present however may not be indicative of what skill sets will be needed by the time this young person completes college.

Another good question is:
Where are the growth areas in business and industry in the DR and what human resources needs will these growth areas have in four years time.

Hope this provokes some responses for you........

(I'm usually pretty good at provoking! :))

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Let me be the shit disturber and ask the question on many minds
Is this friend asking you to pay for his education if not the answer to your question will be very different than if he is,
J.H.

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
No I am not paying for his education. He has taken courses before and he has paid for them. But nice try! I just don't want him wasting his money on something that won't get him anywhere.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
What Maryanne didn't say Johnny .....

is that you haven't been around lately to see what happens when we try to inform by example as to what often takes place here in the DR.
If you'll read her thread "MY Experiences" you'll see that's she's a wise women indeed and is just doing like some of us and trying to effect positive change one person at a time!

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
I have a supporter!!!

Thanks MommC! I knew you would stick up for me!
The person I am making the request for is Guillermo. At the time I posted these questions, I didn't want to get into all the details. Guillermo pays for his own education because he says "he doesn't believe in taking the easy road". Yes, Johnny, Guillermo is Dominican, he has a good job, he has a bank account with some savings, he pays for his own rent and other expenses, and he wants to provide me a good life. Hence, he would like to go to school, study hard, and make a good living.

Enough said....no point in trying to stir the pot....nothing here to boil....slow simmers only!

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
OK point taken por favor tell me what is this I have missed by being absent for a month,Maryanne I wish you and your friend only the best dont forget I am married to a Dominican its not a prejudiced biased thing when I ask unless we aretalking about activitys staff,I think civil engineering is a very good choice as is any line that is in demand here and in other countrys in case he should decide to leave this country in the futur
J.H.

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
Guillermo would like to go into Engineering but he also has some interest in computers. One of the drawbacks for Engineering is that he believes that the best place to attend university for this is Santiago (not POP). However, since he works full time, going to Santiago for school would only be possible on his one day off (Saturdays). Now, with regards to computers, he has taken one course so far at a small, private school. It actually didn't cost him too much. And he learned some basics but found that without a computer to practice on, he was having a hard time. The school had a computer to practice on, but it was hard to get some time on it. So, now he has saved some money and he's going to buy a computer. I'll be down in POP in a couple of days and I'll try to help him find what he needs and make sure he has enough memory and space. Then, he'll enroll for more computer classes. This time, I want to speak to the school and find out what they are going to teach him. I could probably teach him in the basics in half the time and I'll try to do that next week. I've picked up some cheat sheets for him and I'm bringing them down to POP. In September, he would like to either enroll in University or continue studying computers. What I need to know is where can you take course like UNIX or Java or Web Designer? Are these only offered in university? Are there private schools either in POP or Santiago that offer such courses? He would rather spend all day Saturday in school then trying to attend everyday. Currently, he is taking German every morning.

A mouthful....sorry...but this is "our" future that I'm talking about.