Happening on the Malecon?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Here ya go...

Opposition to Malecon Libre
Several Santo Domingo PRD city council members have criticized Mayor Roberto Salcedo for going ahead with plans to launch the ?Malecon Libre? this Sunday, instead of concentrating on cleaning up the capital, which according to the councilors should be the mayor's only priority. Parts of Santo Domingo are still suffering the unpleasant effects of the recent stoppage of refuse collection. Rolfi Rojas of the PRD also claimed that the Malecon Libre plans had not been submitted for approval by the councilors. On Sunday at noon, the Malecon?s seafront avenue will be closed to traffic between Av. M?ximo G?mez and the Obelisk. The public is being encouraged to use the promenade for pedestrian recreation, roller-skating and cycling.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
You'd think insteda of closing it off to traffic they'ed mayce try to make it safe to cross the street! Ever try to cross thhat street in mid day? It's impossible. I'd love to walk along the sea with the dog in the day but there is no way I could ever get her across the road.
What do they think closiing the road is going to do? Just cause more traffic headaches everywhere else in Zona Colonial area.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Thanks Jan. Closing off the Malecon is going to divert traffic onto streets that are already congested. George Washington Ave, the Malecon, serves as a main southern artery to exit and enter the city to and from the east using the floating bridge. Traffic that would otherwise use it will have to detour through narrow streets of the Colonial Zone to get to the bridge or manuever their way to Av Mexico to cross the river. The public would be best served to have better traffic control over vehicles and pedestrians on the Malecon rather than close it off. Regards, PJT

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Maybe they should build some over the road walk ways...something. Instead of closing the road and making things worse make it more people friendly. I still see things from a tourist point of view sometimes. That road is a main tourist area and it is the most tourist-people unfriendly road I have ever seen. Can't trust the lights. I will never cross where any road comes out. Have tyo cross in between somewhere and stank in the center of the road til you can finish crossing. At least where the parks are they should make a little bridge or something.
Have you been to the little resturants on the sea side. Those poor wait people have to carry food across the street! It's unreal!
But still love this country!

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
anybody willing to comment on how it went yesterday?

fun or inconvenient? crowded or dead?

mob :classic:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
According to the press it was a success. I wasn't able to go and see for myself though.

I think that basically it is a good idea but that it has been put into place too hastily and without making provisions like parking. There are several empty lots in the area, on Av. Independencia, which would make excellent parking lots, and it would be a way for the owners and the municipality to make money, if they were to charge a small fee like RD$10 and split the profits with the owners.

I also agree with Jan about making the malecon more pedestrian friendly during the week. Along with the rest of the city...

Chiri

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I went yesterday. It was pretty cool. Stunt riders on bicycles doing tricks etc. People rollerskating, riding bikes and horses etc. I video taped a bit and also met people that worked for malecon libre. I might try and get some footage from them as well. I made it late and was pretty sick all weekend. We did hang out at La ceniza and watched Los Toros and Tulile. Tulile seemed pissed as he played a short set to leave time for Los Toros.

My new buddy that works for Malecon Libre had me get up onstage and videotape during Los Toros.

I never really thought about it but the Malecon is probably one of the only safe places to Roller Skate in SD. With the street closed off people were able to have a good time. We'll see if it catches on.