golf prices

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
How much does it cost for a round of golf at the Dorado complex course, and since I'll probably rent clubs, how much for that also?

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Ok......I just happened to pick up a rate sheet when we were there Tuesday!

18 holes US$55. assuming you are sharing a cart with someone, from 7AM to 1pm. After one the price drops to US$35. but remember a cart will cost you US$20.
Club rental is also US$20. and you MUST use the services of a caddy for a flat fee of RD$150 plus a minimum RD$200 tip.
Don't forget the 12% ITBIS (tax) on everything but the caddy fee and tip!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
In your dreams Larry!!!

Green fees alone are about double - plus,plus,plus!!
So all in all it's about the same to play here on the south side.
Guavaberry is $78 but includes the cart.....
Metro is $75 and includes the cart. Of course if you want to play Metro with us we are members so it ends up costing you about half that (RD$475 plus RD$450 for the cart-RD$225 each for two for the cart).

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
MommC

I had heard that you could get a lifetime membershiup at playa grande for about 2,000 dollars USD and then play whenever you want for a small fee each time like 10 dollars.If thats true it seems like the way to go if you live near there and golf frequently.Can anyone confirm this?
Larry

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Yes Larry, (plus Bob et al)
Membership of Playa Dorada IS US $2,000. MO annual renewals (at the moment) & green fees are RD $112 per person per round. NO mundatory RD $150 for caddy but you MUST pay him a "Tip" for his work - Again RD $200 or US $10 is minimum expected!! Before 1.00 you must have a cart (RD $350) but pm you can walk the course with your caddy!!

Membership of Playa Dorada gives you VERY reduced fees at many other courses too ..... Playa Grande is ONE of them!!
Membership definately pays for itself if you play often. Give me a call or e-mail if you want more, I am a member & would gladly introduce you to the people that matter - might even manage to play a round of golf with you!!!! - Grahame.

Last edited:

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
Will be joining next year. Grahame, is there an annual maintenence fee? Can't remember what Jon told me last trip.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Grahame

Thanks Grahame,
Actually,I think you were the person who informed me of the lifetime membership price previously.I wouldnt be purchasing it now but would definately be interested in that at a later date when I am able to spend more time in the DR.Thanks for the invitation to play golf with you and I am going to take you up on it on my next trip (after the summer). My golfing experience is limited to 3 days during a trip to Ocean City Maryland a few years ago and about 3 or 4 more times here in NY so if you dont mind putting up with an amature I will join you(maybe MommC can come too?).Playing golf is something I want to spend more time doing in the future. Besides, I have heard so many people raving about Playa Grande that I have to see it.
Thanks again,
Larry

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Playa Grande truly is a sight to behold!!

BB is also correct about the discounts. We have a membership at Metro and received a discount at Playa Dorado (nice!!) also available at Playa Grande. We're more than willing to bring "guests" with us to play at Metro so they get a good discount also!!! ;)
As far as I know the only golf courses that don't give discounts for memberships at other courses are Guavaberry and Teeth of the Dog altho' ToftheD does give a half decent time of day discount for play after 2:30PM.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
How to play golf in DR

This is the way to play golf in DR.

Join Fedogolf see link http://www.fedogolf.org.do/beneficios.asp

It costs 1750 pesos a year and then you play for 600 pesos including Cart at Playa Grande which is the most amazing golf course I have played... Without the memebership you pay over 2000 pesos, so...

Good luck

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
MommC - Where is Metro Country Club? (When we come down, we stay in our house in Sosua - so is it far away?)

Dr MPE - Wow! Are you saying it just costs about $70 US a year at Grande and about $24 US per round if buying a membership??

To anyone - If driving from Sosua, how long does it take to get to Playa Grande?

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Yeap

The membership is in Fedogolf but that is even better because you have great discounts on other courses also...

From Sosua to Playa Grande about an hour without beer-break..

http://www.fedogolf.org.do Membresia.

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
DR Mpe - Thanks for info. Noticed the web site has some English, so I THINK it is a conglomerate of golf clubs that offer membership to travel to certain clubs in the Caribbean? Right?

About the trip to Playa Grande, there is a Tour bus that leaves Puerta Plata/Sosua and goes to the golf course. It's like $135 for the day, which includes transport, lunch, green fees, & cart I think. Sounded kind of high to me. What do you think.

Jan

Last edited:

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
The price is for tourists...

Of course it is high.

Fedogolf is a nice golfcourse also. I do not know about the tourist thing...I think it is 90% dominicans in fedogolf, most tourists goes to Playa Grande and pay 2000 pesos,,, ;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A note for golfers

FEDOGOLF is the Dominican Golf Federation and is composed of the Golf Clubs distributed throughout the country. the most important ones, for Dominican players, are Santo Domingo, Santiago, La Romana, Puerto Plata, and Jarabacoa. There is a club at Playa Grande that is new but active. Membership in one club does bring privileges to play at other clubes, but the membership in FEDOGOLF is the more important and brings the larger discounts. Membership also provides handicap cards just like the USGA.

The federation also has its own golf course, Las Lagunas, just to the North of Santo Domingo, and it is a very good track.

so...if you want to play a lot of golf while you are here, and not break the bank, please feel free to join. You will meet a lot of good folks that way.

HB

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Hillbilly - are you a member? Is the membership per person? Wonder if they have family membership. Am particularly interested if my dad could play with our membership when he comes down with us.

In fact, he asked if a rental scooter had the rack for holding golf clubs! we'll have to inquire when we come down Easter. (He's 73, but spry) ha

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
They are not real uptight

Frequently a member will pay all four green fees-a member rates, but yes membership is generally on an indifidual basis. I am sure that families could be accomodated. Marco Troncoso, the current president is a very wise man.

I am not currently a member, although I do serve the federation in various capacities...My son is, however. But he plays everyday.

And yes, they have club carrying facilities!!

HB.

Afterthought: Since you will be living in Sosua, you should join the POP Golf Club. Then you get a very good discount at Playa Grande....AND at Playa Dorada where you would probably play most of the time.

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
HB - Now, that's what I wanted to know - but didn't know to ask - the POP club is THE answer for that area! What did you mean by 'club carrying facilities'?

I noticed a small resort between Sosua and Cabarete that had a golf course. Don't remember the name, but it would be about 5 minutes away from us - which would be great for a quick 9 holes in the evening. Is anyone familiar with that one?

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Costambar maybe????

They have a golf course but I think you have to be a resident of the Costambar complex to play it!
I could be wrong tho' so maybe HB or Grahame or Ken would know!
BTW- Ken where the heck were you when I was in Sosua????

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
Costa Azul, in between Sosua and Caberete. 9 holes. Cost is 10US with caddie. No where's near the quality of Playa Dorado or Playa Grande. Los Mangos is in Costamber, cost is the same. Played an afternoon round there in Jan., course was in terrible shape. Shame, fun liitle layout. Jan, take a 1hr 15min trip up to Santiago. $18US w/caddie walking with no membership needed. Good layout and they have been putting money into the course. Maybe you can even get ol' man HB to join you.