Immigration question

aNdY

Mar 30, 2003
My wife is a citizen of Guyana (I am Canadian). Since theoretically a Guyanese cannot enter the DR with a tourist card, we applied for and received a Tourist Visa for her from a DR consulate overseas. The visa stamp in her passport was issued in July 2002.

We entered the DR in July 2002 and my wife has not left the country since then. They let her through immigration fine, although they scratched their heads quite a bit at the Visa and about 4 Immigration officers ended up looking at it before they gave her an entry stamp and waved us through. In hindsight I suspect that they would have let her through with just a Tourist Card, but who knows for sure.

Anyway we do plan to stay here and are getting our act together to buy a home and also to apply for permanent residence.

My question is if she were to leave the DR now for a short trip abroad, can she expect any problems in Immigration upon returning? Would it be better to make a trip AFTER starting the application process for permanent residency? IF she does make the trip, what are your opinions on whether she should buy a Tourist Card at the kiosk, stuff it in the page after her Tourist Visa stamp, and just see what happens?

There is no expiry date on her Tourist Visa. It does say "La Senora xxx pueda realizar un viaje a la Republica Dominica", so I suppose that could be interpreted to mean she can make 'only' one trip.

Another question regarding permanent residence. I do plan to make the application through a lawyer, though I haven't selected one yet. But does anyone have any recent experience? Specifically is it currently possible/advisable, as I have read in other threads here, to apply directly for permanent residency without going through the process of getting a residency visa?

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

hansbert

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 1, 2002
linguisticservices.aio-world.net
Visa expiration and residence application

Normally a tourist visa issued by a Dominican consulate abroad entitles the tourist concerned for a 2 months staying in the DR (only once unless it is a multiple entry visa) If the tourist stays longer than 2 months a fine is due to be payed at the office of the immigration or (more practically) at the airport before leaving the country. The amount depends on the length of overstaying. A tourist who has overstayed the two months could have problems to have another visa issued. Therefore I would advice your wife not to leave the DR right now but to apply for a provisional residency permit first. While the proceedings are pending the applicant may obtain a permit to leave the country. Even in such a case there might be problems to have another visa issued because of the overstaying. The best and safest way is to wait until the residence permit has been granted, usually it takes about three months. A person with a valid resident permit in the DR does not need a visa to enter the country.