mugged at POP airport!

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I just returned from a perfectly sublime trip to Sosua (I'll write a trip report) with one big exception. I was bringing a stereo (as a gift, and un-opened from the store) through customs. The inspectors, with big sadistic grins, opened it and started to take it apart, making sure that I knew they were f***ing with me. As I objected, someone came up from bechind me and said essentially that he was collecting for them. When a supervisor came over, I thought I could get some relief, but he was in on it as well. It was only $20 (US), but so outrageous! A US customs officer would be sent to jail for this. I love the DR, and think the country would be better off without this kind of crap. I want raise a stink. Whom should I contact now that I'm back in NY, Ministry of Tourism? I know nothing will happen, but I'll feel better if I don't just lay down for these punks. - Danny W

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
So what?

You paid $20 for the right to import an electrical appliance! What makes you so damn special that you don't have to pay import duties?
Next time don't bring something like that in its box, un-opened!
Switch the power cord for one that looks used.
DON'T tell them it is a gift!
Haggle!
And most important of all.....Leave your NY attitude at home!

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Now commom Tony...
The import taxes arn't the point. I know this is DR but its still not right and if people don't at least try to report a wrong and make the system right then this stuff will keep on happening. Just because its the normal happening here that these guys rip people off doesn't mean that people should just keep letting it happen.
I'm not usually one to repramand someone but I fwwl in this instance you need a smack up side your head Tony my friend!
I don't know where you can call to report this but I think you should at least try.
Bad! Bad! Tony!!!

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Tony - What do you mean NY attitude? Do you think it makes you a cool laid-back Dominicano if you put up with it? If I move to the DR one day, I'd like to be treated with the same respect I try to show to other people. One of great things about the DR is how nice the people are. I understand "bakshish", but this clown wasn't smooth about it; it was like he was spitting in my face. And by the way, isn't tourism the golden egg? So it's just plain stupid and bad business. - D

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I find many Dominicans short sighted and only look out for the immediate payoff not caring about the future. Until the rest of the people instill morals into this group of people they will remain a country of wannabees, couldabees and shouldabees.

Tony is a Cuban and NOT a Dominican. He looks down from up high:) Just tell him you are going to spend your next vacation in Havana and you may see him self destruct.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
jazzcom said:

Tony is a Cuban and NOT a Dominican. He looks down from up high:) Just tell him you are going to spend your next vacation in Havana and you may see him self destruct.

HAHAHAHA shutup man I got coworkers looking at me because I busted out laughing........:laugh: don't do it Tony!!!!! Hehehe

Well Danny the jib Tony threw at you about the NY attitude wasn't right but what he said about bringing stuff already opened works, it works for me every time.....my old man's been traveling to the US and back since the 60s and he always brings stuff opened up so the Customs pricks won't mess around with him

Last edited:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Yeah what he said Danny, I guess:)

They NEVER check my bags. I didn't even downshift on my way through last time and they didn't give a damn! Was wondering if they were ever going to go through my bags since they haven't since 9-11.

Maybe it is the honest face or the I don't give a crap thoughts that go through my head, who knows.

justme

Oct 3, 2002
I have been down several times and each time I have always taken electronic items such as coffemakers, stereo's etc. I really think it had a lot to do with your attitude Danny, it is their right to inspect stuff going in, that is what they are there for no different then your US custom guys. Maybe they just felt like making you pay for some of the attitude you dished out. As the old phrase goes"what goes around comes around".
Really Truly unfair to put your heading as 'MUGGED AT THE POP AIRPORT"

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
My dear friend, I have so many questions I would like to ask you. It is so rare to have contact with someone truly psychic. Thank you for speaking about my attitude out of total ignorance. That seems to be a prominent trait of this web site. Too bad, because there are many intelligent and informative people who post here.

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
I gotta agree with JustMe, I was going to say something about the title of the OP when I first saw it.
It's bad for people who might come to the Travel section to read something like that when its not actually true. You make it sound like you were held at knifepoint by thugs at the taxi stand, come on, you could have titled it with Customs Robbed Me or something.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I've had my tons of suitcases opened and checked several times!

Doesn't rattle me at all! The only time the customs agent made a fuss and told us we'd have to pay duty was when we brought down a counter sized water cooler/heater. The box had been opened then taped shut and tied with cord to make a handle to carry it. We called the supervisor over and told him we knew there was no duty to be paid and he told the customs agent (who was just looking for a "post-Christmas" bonus) to let us pass!!
No problemo!!

As for "mugging" we've experienced that also here in the DR. However in the true sense of the word and not just as an attention getting headline.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Sorry for having a little fun with the heading of my post. I'm sure glad you folks aren't around to edit my speech and behavior all day long. I guess I don't measure up to such a high standard.

As for my attitude that day - if I must defend myself - I was thrilled to be entering the DR for my 2nd. visit, and came up to the inspector with a big smile. When he opened the package, I felt that he was doing his job. It was only when he and his friend were passing the cd player back and forth between them and trying to pry it open with a knife(laughing as the did it) that I objected. As they were about to break it, their co-worker (will you politically correct people accept that inaccurate description?) let me know that he could rescue the player for $20 - if not, it was done for.

And please, no response is necessary. Life is too short to be spent arguing with a bunch of strangers. Peace. - D

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
You don't have to be an a$$&ole to be p!$$@d about what goes on in the POP airport. I've seen AA employees selling cuts in line, and much worse.

I've also spent weeks trying to "legally" import goods only to find that the system is setup so there's no way to do anything without bribing someone.

I was willing to laugh about it and pay the small change without a second thought untill I saw these same kind of lowlife officials kill 3 suspected criminals and 1 innocent "paletero" on the street in the free zone at lunch time. I'll never get the smell of fresh meat and the sight of human intestines on the road out of my head.

I would have second thoughts about anybody who didn't have a bad attitude towards illiterate trigger-happy lowlifes with guns. You don't have to be from Cuba or New York to hate that. I'm sure any of those victims would have happily traded places with Rodney King for the day.

I love the country and the people, but it takes a lot of nice weather and friendly people to make up for a sight like that.