Hello, Just a few questions .... first post.

owdumlad

Mar 31, 2003
Hello everyone,
My wife and I just registered here after spending about a week reading lots of the posts, most of which we found very interesting.
We just returned after a week in Puerto Plata at one of the all inclusive resorts, this was our fourth time in the D.R. in the last two years and we are planning another visit later this Summer and maybe we could meet up with some of you regulars and have a pint or two?
The reason that we?re posting is that we have been considering moving down there and we have a few questions. (All you regulars are probably saying ?Oh no, not another?).
We have read a couple of postings laying out experiences in moving down there and it sounds really complicated and frustrating.
Is there anyone who has moved down and didn?t have the assistance of any friends, relatives or companies to help them to get set-up and settled?
Are there any major restrictions or requirements for foreigners buying property and or businesses?
Can anyone give us the name and email of a reputable real estate person on the north side (Puerto Plata, Sosua area) of the Island and also on the south (La Romana area)?
Anyway I?ll stop at that ? I?m sure you have all gone through the above questions a million times and it must be tedious to keep responding over and over.
I forgot to mention that we live in Canada but are originally from the U.K. myself from Lancashire and my wife from Northern Ireland.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Hola owdumlad!!!!!

DR1 has---
Members: 3,381, Threads: 21,203, Posts: 123,107

Do your homework (Search, Search, and Search again!)
Ask your questions.
And Good Luck!

By the way---
Welcome to DR1!!! :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Thanks
Tim H.

Help, and be Helped.
That?s why were here!!!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I have been setting up my move for about 2 years now. I do not have family there although I have made a ton of friends and met lots of decent people.

Legally you cannot work without residency. You cant get a drivers license without it either. That should be the first thing that you do in my opinion and it is what I did. I just got my permanent residency last week.

Use a attorney to do your residency, cedula and your drivers license. It will cost you a few bucks but the relief of not having to put up with the bullcrap there has been well worth it for me. With your residency it makes things easier and legal to be in business and to live there. Your Canadian drivers license is only good for 3 months on arrival in the DR and the residency which is a prerequistie to a drivers license can take longer. I used Graziella Fermin and it was as smooth as possible.

There are a lot of real estate agents on the north coast on the internet. American Realty for one, Palm Hills for another, Century 21 Purdomo, Remax North Coast and a few others are on the net. Check out properties first and then contact them to view them in person.

Hope this helps you.

Regards,
Scott

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I take it from your post that you are thinking of locating on the North Coast. That would be a good choice. Of course, I'm prejudice because I live in Sosua.

If you are planning to buy property, get residency, or any of the other things that are best done with an attorney, you want to be certain that you have an honest and competent one--not one who takes your money and leaves you with little to show for it. One attorney I can highly recommend for all your needs is Fabio Guzman, the attorney who answers questions posted in the Legal section. His office is located in Sosua, and he and his staff can handle all of your needs. During the 17 years that I have lived here, he has helped me with real estate purchase and getting my provisional and permanent residency. His website is http://www.drlawyer.com/index.htm and his email address is info@drlawyer.com. For real estate related matters, another attorney in Sosua I can recommend is Guido Perdomo. Go to http://www.juanperdomo.com/eng/index.htm
and click on "Consult our Notary".

As your realator, I highly recommend Dean Brown, an American expatriate who is very honest and conscientous. If you read this thread during your research, you saw his name http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21735 He works for Perdomo Realty and is the Century 21 representative for the North Coast. His email address is islandcruisers@hotmail.com

If I can be of further help relative to the North Coast, you can post your question or send me an email by clicking on the email button under one of my posts. Good luck.

owdumlad

Mar 31, 2003
Thanks for the Welcome Tim

And thanks to Scott and Ken for the very helpful information.
Now I?m going to show my ignorance but what is a Cedula ?? Is it identification or a residents card or summat like that ??

The process for residency, do we have to make applications while in the Dominican ?

I've been searching for information on Trade Schools down there such as Tool and Die , General Machinists etc... is there any or is there no real call for that type of work ??

We (Janis and I) have been thinking of opening an English type pub / Bed and Breakfast here in Canada. How do you think summat like that would fly down there ????

Tony and Jann

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Cedula is the identification card issued to all Dominicans and legal residents. Click on the "search" bottom near the top of this page, then search the archives for residency. That will take you to the many threads in which this subject has been discussed. There is a lot of information there on the subject.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Cedula is Dominican ID card. You cant get it without residency.

You need to bring down 3 certified copies of birth Certificates, letter of good conduct from Police dept at home. I brought letters of Credit from my bank and stock broker.

You should find out exactly what you need before you go on the next trip.

Tourism is dead in the DR compared to what it was before 9-11. No one is doing great in my opinion. I will drink with you at your bar though!:)

Last edited:

owdumlad

Mar 31, 2003
Thanks a lot

Thanks for all the above information , we certainly have lots to read and digest now.
We will probably be back down there around the third week of August. Not too sure where we will be staying, we have to keep and eye out for a good deal a couple of weeks before we plan to leave.

Cheers Tony and Jann