July AA Rates to DR

lindalyn

Feb 15, 2003
all jokes aside

currently the rates to sti on AA.com are 570. tax included for the month of July ... do you guys think I should buy now.. or will they go down.... I know i have asked this question about 10 times or more & i am sorry to keep repeating myself.. but you guys are more experienced at this then me. Sorry to bother ;)

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
lindalyn,

it's eleven times but who's counting..lol.....j/k

I think $570 is a good deal for July. Here is the issue though, with the war stuff, it may be possible that people may not feel safe flying and this may cause the airlines to drop it's prices. You already see the issues with AA so they made decide that they will bring it down a bit.

Once again I will say that I think $570 is still a good deal for that time of year.

:)

Last edited:

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
lindalyn,

You will notice that I took your comments and split the April Fool's thread.

I did this so that others can give their opinion on the prices to visit DR in JUly. This will give you the oppotunity to hear what others think and help you make a decision.

:)

Last edited:

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
lindalynn

I will keep a lookout for savings for you because I am constantly checking airfares. From where do you want to depart (what airport/s) and what airports in the DR for July(and special dates?). I wouldn't buy tickets yet though.
dale7(Howard)

lindalyn

Feb 15, 2003
dale7

i am looking to go from the second week of july until the last day...roughly 3 weeks from jfk or newark to either POP or STI.....Thanks for your response. :cool:

Lore

Mar 9, 2003
Not that I can see any logic in this whatsoever, but I bought my ticket on AA from Montreal-Miami-POP two weeks ago for the middle of May and I have frequently checked since to see which way the price has gone. So far it has only gone up. Now it is 130.00 more than what I paid. Like I said, no logic!! I certainly figured, like most else, that with the war, prices would hit rock bottom, just to get people to travel. Looks like, in my case anyways, the few that are flying may be the one picking up the biggest tabs!!

lindalyn

Feb 15, 2003
lore

go figure........... i'm hoping for prices to go down and i see them going down but only for pre-summer dates. lets see what happens ....CIAO!!!!

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
For AA, the tickets they have are good for travel until June 16. Once it becomes close to mid May or so, the next travel itinerary from June 17 and on should start to go down, I always buy my tickets around 5-6 weeks before my flight because I have to plan a trip and can't take last minute offers. I would wait and see if airlines will lower prices soon because what is going on in the Mideast is starting to affect international travel, though not real drastically, and airlines will have to lower ticket prices to fill seats, to avoid bankruptcy, and raising the prices will only harm the airline.
dale7(Howard)

lindalyn

Feb 15, 2003
dale

that makes alot of sense. I take you up on that. i'll keep checking w/ AA.com

Thanks for responding!

Linda

locaNYer

Mar 28, 2003
American Fares from NY

I have found that the prices to POP are more expensive over the June/July summer months. I am from NY and have flown to the Dom Rep over the summer a few times. The most expensive tickets I have ever paid for to the Dom Rep have been during the summer. I fly out of JFK and in the winter I pay between $250-$300 US in most cases and over the summer I have paid between $450 and $650.

I go to the Dom Rep every 4 months, and the above fares seem to be the average I pay. You can take the chance and wait to buy your ticket. But with AA in finc. trouble I don't see fares coming down too much.

I bought my ticket for June for $65.00. But I also used 25,000 of my advantage miles. I couldn't beat that deal!

Good luck!

locaNYer

Mar 28, 2003
AA

Personally I think the prices go up and down in New York because there are so many Dominicans living here. Thats been a rumor for a while and I am starting to believe it. Summers are the best time for most people to travel and visit families, due to school being on summer break and people having to use up vacation time.

Just my opinion! :cool:

lindalyn

Feb 15, 2003
locaNYer

your are absolutely right about school being out. I'v been told that in the summer ALOT of families send their children out to DR . I was looking at a flight out of JFK to POP for July 12th & alot of seats have been sold ALREADY! . I guess they are getting the kids ready !:cool:

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
Re: American Fares from NY

locaNYer said:
I
I bought my ticket for June for $65.00. But I also used 25,000 of my advantage miles. I couldn't beat that deal!

Good luck!

I too have about 26,000 AA miles what is the minimum needed for a free ticket? I would love to cash it in and at least be able to fly down there when my husband goes.

I would be flying out of DC area and into Sto. Dom.

lindalyn

Feb 15, 2003
NORTH AMERICAN AIRLINES

North american Airlines has prices for July are 463.80 incl taxes for adults & $373.80 for children ......and AA & Continental no longer offer children fares! Oh Boy ...what do I do NOW?! Never flew w/ North American before...anyone here has a comment on North American Airlines? :confused:

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
I think I'll sign up for one of the AA credit cards and recieve about 8,000 more miles, that should be enough for a trip in July right?

It's good to know that the numerous trips to the DR to visit friends and family can now pay off with a free trip...well almost free.

locaNYer

Mar 28, 2003
Usually it is 30,000 miles....thats why I was suprised!

Most of the miles reward programs require 30,000 miles for a free tix. I was suprised also when I only had to use 25,000.

I am going back for 3 weeks in June and had no problem getting a 'great' seat on the plane. As long as you book atleast 2 months ahead (Sometimes less) you are guant. a seat. But I booked as soon as I got back from another trip to the Dom Rep a few weeks ago.

You can always wait and get yout tix at the last min. You can get great deals..but you also run the chance of being locked out of a flight or put on standby...or you get the middle seat on the last row of the plane! Ha ha

The credit cards with AA Advantage programs are a good idea. It's amazing how quicly your miles add up. Plus you get all the bonus miles just for signing up. You might as well get soemthing free while spending you money! Hah a ;)

As I hold up my cuba libre, I toast you all a safe return to the Dominican Republic! :confused: