Missin' Food!!!!

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I've been here almost 1 1/2 years and starting to go through food cravings. I WANT SOME FOOD FROM MY OLD HOME!!
Brunsweiger, Leabonon Bologna, City Chicken, Durkee's Franks Red Hot,
Texas Chili, Jalepino and Hajanero peppers, Virgina Baked Ham, Perogis, Halooski, Shoo Fly Pie, Chef Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing,
Hot Wings with Celery and Blue Cheese or Ranch, Macintosh Apples, Homemade Apple Butter and Aple Jelly, Lone Pine Short Grain Rice and Sweet Brown Rice, Umebosshi Vinnegar, Kings Resturant Peanutbutter Fudge Sundae....
So much more..
What foods do you miss form the ole homestead?
Lets get hungry!!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Jan said:
I WANT SOME FOOD FROM MY OLD HOME!!Brunsweiger, Leabonon Bologna, Jalepino and Hajanero peppers, Perogis, Halooski, Shoo Fly Pie, Hot Wings with Celery and Blue Cheese or Ranch, Umebosshi Vinnegar

What country are you from, Jan?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I miss "FRESH" seafood!

"Maine" lobsters,raw oysters,"steamers,dipped in melted butter!Clam chowder(New England style only!) "Catch of the Day!" How about a "Steak & Cheese Sub?" Fried clams and oysters.Mussels in garlic and oil,served over fresh made linguinni.Warm"Indian Pudding"a scoop of vanilla ice cream melting on top!"Freedom Fries" and a "Natural Casing" hotdog,with a chocolate "Frapp"!(Only in Boston,or a cold "Tonic"?)Cris

Pavan

Jan 18, 2002
Here goes my list

Naan, Seekh Kabaab, Tandoori Chicken, Murg Musallam, Tandoori Roti, Biryani, Kheer, Gulab Jamun, Rasmalai, Spicey Salad, Fruit salad with masala on it..........

Anyone hungry..........

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Cris, I arrived back to the North Shore from the island a couple of days ago. My first big meal was a large plate of fried clams, had to satisfy the craving immediately. Next, lobster. Regards, PJT

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
missing DR - do you know enough about Dominican cheeses to be able to answer this question: which of the following is the best substitute for paneer (as in sag paneer = spinach and cheese curry) - queso crema, queso de hoja or queso de freir?

To Dominican cheese connaisseurs - what is the difference if any?

Chiri
not missing anything since marmite stocks were replenished

Pavan

Jan 18, 2002
Queso de frier

Chiri,

It is definitely queso de freir. There are three different types. Try them all as I don't remember which one does not break apart.

I remember we used to see the hardest one in the package.

In Mexico also we use queso para frier. You will have to fry it a little bit for Sag Paneer anyway.

Good luck..

Missing

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Oh yeah? Well I miss

habichuelas con dulce, prepared by my MIL

batida de lechoza (papayas here just don't taste the same!)

sancocho (who here has time to make it...besides, our chivo is not raised to eat)

flan (who has time to make it?)

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
food

Ken,I was thinking the same thing.I never heard of half the things Jan said either.The hot wings I would definately miss if I moved to DR. Nothing like good nyc pizza either.

Its a cold dreary day here and Crisco has me craving a nice not bowl of New England clam chowder now with some fresh black pepper and fresh bread...mmmmmm.

Larry

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Not pregnant so don't even think that!
Made me think of more stuff tho...A Pranantis Steak and Cheese Sandwich with the fires and slaw on thhe sand...White pizza w/ fetta cheese, spinach, and lots of garlic.....Blue Corn Chips....
Love the masala fruit salad, almost out of masala here then what will I do? Some hummus would be tasty too.
I'm from Mars. A little town near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Lots of Polish, Pennsylvania Dutch, Indian foods around. I was also into alot of natural organic foods too. I always did eat a little strange.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Re: Queso de frier

missing_dr said:
Chiri,

It is definitely queso de freir.

Thanks missing -- I'll try it out and let you know how it goes.

Queso crema - blech.

Queso de hoja - mmmm.

Queso para fre?r - meh.

Jane J -- it's perfectly clear now...

Chiri

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Honey Hots

I'd eat my left arm right now for a plate of Honey Hots (that's Buffalo Wings) from Buff's in Newton Corner (MA).

I miss Indian food (americanized or not, I don't care).

Good pizza, any good pizza. Russell Inn in Russell Mass. is simply the best ever.

The seafood is good here, but I'd still go for everything my former buddy CC said. However, I'd hate to split the tab with him.

I know people will split over this, but I really could go for a Budweiser - or 168.

I miss the Greek restaurants in/around Boston too. They make some good eats, shish kebobs and the like.

Finding a ripened blackberry bush before a bear gets to it would be a real treat too.

Beyond that, I love the food here.

Amber

Jan 24, 2003
awwwww... Ray?s Pizza..

A Giro!! Mississippi mud cake from RJ Scotties topped with French vanilla ice cream.... Ohhh people.. what have you done!! I need to go back now!!!
Baklava... Taramusalata...
I miss so many things it?s not funny... I?d like to sit in Central Park eating a huge messy Giro....
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......:bandit: