medical insurance

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Can anyone tell me about the medical insurance that's available to Dominicans? My novia has an asthmatic and, I'm pretty sure, hyperactive 3yo son. She lives in Santo Domingo and is unemployed. At least one night a month she ends up in the hospital on an emergency basis with her son. Is there an insurance plan available that they could benefit from? Or perhaps the public health system is decent. She seems to have proper medicine and doctors. Since she speaks no English and I have little Spanish it's hard for me to understand the situation. Chris Colon, are you an MD in Santo Domingo? At any rate, any info would be appreciated. - DW

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Local insurance runs approximately 12 bucks per month for the 65,000 por caso plan with a 260,000 peso per year for the family limit.

20 bucks US for adults per month

There is a plan that is slightly cheaper with a 50,000 peso cap per event.

Sorry, I don't know anything about public health care, and I live on the North coast.

Mainer

BTW All 3 year olds are hyper.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Thanks, Mainer. What company issues the insurance? Thanks, Danny. And I know, I have two grown sons - but this kid is something else, or perhaps I've forgotten.

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Compania Nacional de Seguros, C. por A.

Planes de Salud Humano Porque todos lo somos.

I am sure that there is an insurance agent in Santo Domingo. I can try to look it up in the phone book, but there must be someone on the board who lives there and can help you.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
The two companies suggested by Mainer have an excellent reputation. Stay away from Intercontinental or other "Micky Mouse" companies who, when the "Chips are down" don't pay.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
mainer said:
Local insurance runs approximately 12 bucks per month for the 65,000 por caso plan with a 260,000 peso per year for the family limit.
20 bucks US for adults per month

mainer, not clear to me what you are saying re $12/month and 20/month. Also, are the limits you mentioned from the best, most expensive plan or are there others at a higher price?

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Ken,
Danny asked for rates for the baby. Kids are about $12 US per month (sorry, I don't have exact kids rate in pesos). Adults are 257.50 pesos for the more expensive plan.$192.50 for the less expensive. The coverage is not high, though. Only $65,000 por caso and $260,000 per year/familia for the more expensive and $50,000 por caso and $200,000 per year for the lesser one.

In addition, you could get critical care/medivac insurance for about $20 per YEAR for a small child. It covers major illnesses like cancer, trauma, heart, etc. with an international medivac.

Edited to add: There is a tax added to the adult peso rate. When we converted the pesos to dollars at 23 to 1, the adult came to almost $20 US and the child to $12 US. These were both tax included.

Local insurance can be paid every 4 months, every 6 months, or yearly. Most other insurances needed to be paid in full one year ahead. The local insurance needs to be paid in pesos, some of the others need to be paid in US dollars (cash).

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Are plans with higher limits available?

Is the med evac/critical care coverage only available for young children?

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
I do not know if there are higher limit local health insurance plans.

There are a variety of International Insurances with up to 2 million dollar limits that include Medivac. They can be used world wide as long as you live outside of the US. The International plans run from 1500 to about 2000 US per year for a 50 year old. I am just giving that age as a base figure.

Mas Vida covers (now this is to the best of my Spanish reading ability)

1. Neurological disorders
2. cancer
3. Cardiac
4. organ transplants
5. trauma including accidents and cerebrovascular accidents (strokes)
6.Kidney disease.

The rate for a person age 50 is about 353 per year. Medivac is also included. I don't remember the rates exactly, and I cannot find them.

I was going to scan and email the plan to you, but they blew into the sink and are saturated.

Sabine Mertes in Sosua has been very helpful with insurance.
Her cell is 841-7600 and her email is sabine.mertes@codetel.net.do She came highly recommended by other people in the community.
Mainer