Used/New Computer Systems

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
Can anyone assist me, please? I would like to buy a used computer system. If all else fails, then I guess I will have to buy a new one. I'm in the Puerto Plata area but I'm willing to travel around as long as the deal is worth it. Can anyone recommend some places either in Puerto Plata, Santiago, or any where else?
Much appreciated!

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Maryanne,
We visited a computer store in Sosua and found a Dell computer with DVD for less than $600 US. It was a new computer. The laptops are more expensive than the US, but the PC's seemed to be very reasonable prices. I cannot remember exactly where the store was, but Ken would as he told me where it was.

I believe that they sold used systems also.

mainer

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
What sort of computer system are you looking for? How 'OLD' can the used system be? I know a company who is upgrading it's computers & one (they have 3 to sell) might be suitable to you. - Grahame.

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
Thanks Mainer!

Thanks for the response Mainer. Hope you're settling into DR quite nicely. I have enjoyed reading your posts, as well as many others. I have been along time reader, but only recently, I started to add posts. I'll be in POP for almost 2 weeks soon and I'm trying to get my "homework" done (ie. where to buy things). I travel back and forth from Canada quite often and one of these days, I'll too settle down in DR. Anyways, I am hoping to hear from Ken....do you remember the name of the shop in Sosua that Mainer is talking about? I was contemplating bringing down a laptop but if I buy a used one, there is no warranty and quite frankly, there isn't a lot of memory on some of them. Also, it's quite easy for someone to walk away with a laptop. And there's no way I'm going to try and lug a computer down to DR in my luggage considering American Airlines won't let me lock my luggages. And hey, I'm a female and it's really difficult to give up valuable space in my luggage!!! Thanks!!!!

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
Grahame....I need enough speed for the internet and enough memory to be able to run Windows 95 and all Office software. I won't be playing games much. Minimum criteria would be Pentium 2 (or equivalent) with at least 400mhz, 128 mg, and 6-8 gig memory. I need a CD and floppy too.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I got what you need

If you end up in the Santiago area come by Descuento Electronico, we're on the second floor of the same building where American Airlines office is, accross from Plaza Texas on Bartalome Colon Ave. (#3)

We have a variety of new and used computer systems, we sell distribute to resellers but I would be glad to show you what we have in stock - It's always fun to be able to speak English at work.

or you can call me at 809-581-8431 M-F 8-6. Ask for Michael.

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
Thanks for the reply Michael. I will be in Santiago but I'm not sure when, but if it's during the week, I'll pop in. Would you be able to email me some prices (approximately)?

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
sure, if you post or send me your email

It doesn't look like you're setup to receive email from this board, I typed you a nice long message with pricing and other details but I had to save it instead of sending it because it went over the 1000 character limit.

T

TiberiusMineola

Cecomsa? Ceducomp?

I've dealt with Cecomsa, Santiago, for a number of years. Exc. customer service & reliability. The prices of its clones are only slightly higher that the US. If you live in POP, going to Santiago for service gets to be a nuisance. Ceducomp, Puerto Plata, is also very reputable. A very competent collection of young Dominican technicians.
Used?? Proceed with extreme caution; swapping parts & skulldugery is extremely common here. LISTIN DIARIO? Try its Classififed section. Some shops in Santo Domingo advertise rock bottom prices; I've had no personal experiences with them? Also, indiviudals sell fairly new computers. If you buy used, I suggest you stick with a name brand, not a clone. Dell, Compaq, & HP [to name 3 of probalby severel] can be easily repaired in the DR, usually in Santiago or the Capital. Food for thought? If you're coming from the US, why not buy a brand name in the States, bring it in your suitcase in the original box; then, buy the monitor here? Good hunting.

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
I have contemplated bringing a computer and putting it in my luggage, but one of the biggest problems is that I am not allowed to lock my luggages. I'm flying from Toronto with a connection in Miami, and then finally to POP. American Airlines is checking all bags and I know because I just came back from a short trip from the states. Things in my luggage were shuffled around and if I'm going to go to the trouble of packing my computer nicely and then someone is going to move things around, then I can't ensure that my computer will make it to my final destination without any damage. I'm not even sure if I have a luggage large enough to hold a computer and if I have to buy a luggae just to bring it, then I might as well buy it in the DR. I'm babbling....sorry....lots on my mind.

Email is mwalczak@mobility.com.

Last edited: