RN wants to move to DR...some advice?

Frankmia

Apr 5, 2003
Hi...I have been reading the posts during the past few days...and they have been so helpful and have answered many questions that I had. I have been to DR several times over the past few years...and I have really fell in love with the place...I would like to spend a year or so there, and I plan to do this in about 7 months. Don't get me wrong...I know that living there is not all roses....but I'm a pretty flexible person and adapt easily so I think I'll do fine. I lived in Colombia for a year as an exchange student, so I'm fluent in Spanish. I'm working as a registered nurse in Florida at this time. I have read in some old posts that nurses in DR don't really make too much money and that their function is really different there. I'm not looking to make very much money. Hopefully enough to pay my rent :) From the posts that I have read, finding a job will be a little rough...I'm not too picky....and I'm looking for an adventure. My question is this: Can anyone advise me of some area that I could maybe take a short course in here...I mean, something that would assist me in acquiring a job there? Photography is one of my hobbies. I know how to develop and print black and white photos. Hmmm.. I just want to try to plan everything so it goes smoothly. I'm still in the early stages of planning.....and will have many more questions to come as things start to develop. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
RNs in the DR

There are some RNs doing fairly well. However, 99% of the nurses here are little more than bed pan changers, housekeepers, occasional bedmates and so forth. It is really sad that a profession with such status in the Northern Hemisphere is in such bad condition in the Tropics...

There used to be a real nursing program at our university, but it closed down for lack of students. Everyone wants to be a doctor!. What, me a nurse? No way!

That said, a good graduate nurse with credentials and work record, should be able to finda decent position in one of the private clinics. If surgery room experience is added, more the better. This is a job that has to be obtained on a personal basis. On line or emails won't do it..

There are only 5 places in Santiago that might be able to pay you a living wage, and perhaps twice that number in Santo Domingo.

Good luck,

HB

Frankmia

Apr 5, 2003
Thanks for the info

HB..thanks for the reply..

I will definitely look into hospitals/private doctor's office. I also am getting some ideas of others things that I may be able to do. Like I said...I'm pretty outgoing and adventurous...and always willing to learn something new, so I am sure that I'll find something. I'm going to try to bring enough savings with me to survive at least a year. So what ever else I could earn while I'm there would definitely assist with the bills. The one problem I have is that I'm not really sure where I would want to live. I have been to many different cities... and each city has unique things that I like about it. For example...I like Santo Domingo...because it's pretty big...seems like easy to get around...shopping is good...more things are available. I like the smaller towns better, because the people seem more friendly...life a little slower...and in some places...the beaches are nicer...(ie. Las Terrenas). Also I have some good friends that I have known for many years that live in Cabarete and suggest that I move there ...I was just there two weeks ago...I had a wonderful time...but I was on vacation. I think that life there would get "old" really quick. It's a party town...you know? I think that I would probably like to live in a moderate size town (that has nice beaches) that is close to a fair/larger size city....within an hour or two. Have any ideas? LIke I said before, I'm still in the early stages of planning...so I've got time to do research, etc... I'm really excited though....I have been wanting to do this for many years... and I have finally realized that life doesn't just hand you things.....you have to MAKE them happen.

Take care.

Frankie