Place like Sams Club here?

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Ok..thanks. Got the location now. But can anyone join? The cost? And is it really cheeper to but appliences there or at the ..it is Plaza Lama? Looking for good prices on household items. And some bulk food stuff. They are just like Sams Club? mas o menos..

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
RD$300 to become a member. If your not a member they charge you 5-10% more. It works for bulk items, but I'm sure you will get a better deal on white goods etc at Plaza Lama.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Go take a look...

It's free to walk around :)

That way you can make up your own mind and compare prices etc.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
IMHO Pricesmart seems to apply the same percentages on everything that they do in the states, figuring a little extra (probably the actual amount) for transportation cost and duties. I doubt that they have any buddy deals with corrupt officials for cheating on import taxes but their prices are pretty fair on most things none the less. Foreign food is probably the best buy in the store since they don't mark it up nearly as much as the other grocery stores in town.

Plaza Lama is relatively new (at least in Santiago, I don't know about the capitol) and are trying real hard to take some market share away from Distribuidoras Corripio and other more established electrodomestic distributors, so they are selling many items at or near cost, this is hard for anybody to compete with. The only problem is they handle alot of factory seconds and refurbished products, and won't usually tell you that at the time of purchase.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Price Mart has some things that you won't find anywhere else!

Some prices are low,some high,some "Just Right!" You MUST know what you are buying,or you may pay to much.It is really fun to visit,as Robert said!Cris

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
Pricemart is pretty good in my experience, that is where the orphanage buys most of its stuff in order to keep down cost. They have also bought a scanner and stuff really cheap there.

But remember Jan - its not pronounced the way we do. It took me a good 6 months of my boyfriend saying he was in "Pree says mart" and me learning the name that way before I finally noticed it in the DR and was cracking up that is was Price Smart.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
or...

'Pryce Essmart' is how people I know pronounce it.

Espanish espeakers can't manage the consonant cluster beginning with s at the beginning of the word. Hence Steven = Esteban, Spain = Espa?a and my favourite Stockholm - Estocolmo. Not forgetting Scott - Escott.

Chiri