Baninter finally taken over by Banco Central

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Those who followed the much read Pepegate thread remember, if you paid attention, that I kept mentioning the fact that Ramon Baez(Figureo)Figueroa....(the "Figureo" nickname was my own baptizing of this infamous personality, who has now fallen in disgrace due to his bank failure) should have resigned after the Pepegate scandal. I also mentioned many times how this man's demise at Baninter began with his scandalous multimillion wedding.

Well, it is now official. Banco Central has now taken over Baninter as published in a memo all over today. His name has been missing from the statement and he is totally out of the picture. The other remaining question is where is Banco del Progreso in all of this, since the transaction to take over Baninter has also been placed in the waiting list. Can Progreso have a problem too?

What is going on. I was lucky enough to pull out substantially out of Baninter the minute I heard the earth shaking. However, Banco Central guaranteed today all the savers' interests. What one doesn't know is if banco central also guarantees holders of "fixed-certificates" which were paying over 27% for amounts over $1,000,000 and up.

What can Hippo say now. Remember I kept saying that Hippo, Pepe and Figureo were too close together. Any banker or businessman who gets close to this government administration is going to get burned. But Figureo was burned from day one, the minute he decided to hold office as a banker and act as an entertainer and jet set figure. The two don't go hand in hand. Bankers are supposed to be conservative and hidden from so much publicity.

The most outrageous thing is that media, entertainment, music and news people in DR are all lining up to thank Figureo and give him public recognition for all the bank money he used to patronage all these people with his ads, promotions, etc. which created a cult to his personality. So much so, that people even began to clamor this man as the savior of DR and humanity.

The dominoes keep falling. It's hard to know what to do now. Is my new bank credible? Is any bank in DR credible?

The new Banco Central certificates are not getting many takers. Hippo says they are to pay debt. How can they pay the interest if they go to produce nothing?

A joking question...what is the new name of Los Duques de Baninter? Well it's not going to be Los Duques del Banco Central. I suggest that these Diablos Cojuelos from Las Vegas Carnival, if they ever exist again, be named Los Aterrizados del Figureo.

TW/golo

jojocho

Jul 10, 2002
Either the powers that be didn't like my post or I screwed up posting my reply to this one. So here it goes again, just in case....

Banco del Progreso had many clauses in the agreement that they signed that allowed them to get out of the deal. One of the clauses gave them 60 days to evaluate Baninter as a whole and the word in the street is that after they saw the mess that existed they decided to pull out. It seems they found problems ranging from very "unconventional" accounting practices to the fact that Mr. Figureo (is this the best nickname ever or what!) had taken on huge personal loans from the bank.

The Central Bank intervention was known by a lot of people in the financial world since last week, but it wasn't until this week that the whole thing blew up.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Rule of thumb:

If the PRD is in power, and the president is very close to the CEO of a certain bank, stay away from it, like the plague.

Leonel Almonte anyone?

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Pib said:
Rule of thumb:

If the PRD is in power, and the president is very close to the CEO of a certain bank, stay away from it, like the plague.

Leonel Almonte anyone?

Damn back to the 80s..........I heard from a "bird" that Almonte had enough money left after the scnadal with his bank to pay people again and rebuild Banco Universal but he chose not to......just some interesting stuff to think about

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Jojocho

You're right. Besides all the hanky panky with Pepegate I heard that a well known TV personality with a Middle Eastern name who bought a P.R. baseball team and also owns a DR team has a huge debt with Figureo's former bank from all these transactions.

The word is that the take over bank got scared-off when they looked at the bottom line and found that most of the loans were in areas that banks usually stay away from, fitting exactly the image I have of Figureo. Notice I blasted his involvement with RNN News and his association with the man who is the cause of the Reformist Party's woes, who is one of the owners of this station, which I often wonder how they could call themselves MedCom, without having a trademark conflict with the world known medical supplies firm.

That man is the one Porky Pig blames for buying off the Wolfman's primary victory. This is the same guy that along with Anibal a.k.a. Furgon or "Container Anibal"(my own nicknames) used to fill in the neighborhood of Mirador Norte with ship containers full of cheap toys which every Christmas were distributed at Maximo Gomez 25 and created that miserable mob scene every year and a "beggars lifestyle" still operating today. These two guys created also the brown bag with $1000 pesos given at political rallies.

Note that even The Lion was not able to stop this system of buying people and had to brown-bag money wherever he went when he was president.

TW

Apr 26, 2002
I'm horrified by the Central Bank's statements about how all transactions of any kind involving the Baninter, or something like that, will be honored by the Central Bank. First, it's likely a lie. Second, if it's not a lie, it's irresponsible. But, then, look at the Hippo incest on the Monetary Board.

I'm also suprised that it was not reported that Figueroa's Visa credit card insurance would cover the insolvency of the bank. After all, this was reported without scepticism when he said that Visa insurance would cover the Goico fraud.

Finally, I'm not sure that the negative comments that I've heard about the Banco del Progresso are due. It is standard in any merger for the books to not be opened up until a tentative agreement has been reached. Once opened, either party can pull out if it uncovers mischief. So I don't think people should blame the Banco del Progresso for discovering the shananagans at the Baninter - something the Central Bank should have been monitoring anyway (but, again, we know what the DR Central Bank is, don't we?)

And has anybody noticed the similarities between Figueroa's group, as well as the Banco Popular group, and the "oligarchs" of post-communist Russia? The cross-ownership of media, banking, insurance and industrial interests is a recipe for disaster.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
We have a friend here in Juan Dolio who has

substantial deposits both in deposit accounts in pesos and US$$$ and in certificates at Baninter.
Last week he was told they would be honoured however he would have to wait for US$$$ but could take out the pesos and also the $$$equivalent in pesos if he wished.
He went to the bank on Fri and while waiting over two hours to speak to someone learned that while he was waiting a meeting was being held where it was decided that no "foreign" interests would be honoured.
I don't think the Central Bank knows what it's doing either.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Offshore money

My understanding is that while Baninter savers and holders of certificates of investments in pesos can make withdrawals and claims for their money, those who opted to have certificates in dollars placed in Baninters offshore site in the Cayman Islands must take their plight to the Caymans directly.

The Central Bank, from what I have heard, will not honor those certificates or investments.

For those who believe that investments in dollars are safer, also be aware that other banks place your certificates in offshore locations. For instance, the BHD bank has Cayman Island depositories too. I am not sure what the liability is in cases like this.

However, savings accounts in dollars are supposed to remain in the DR.

TW

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Back when I was young...

I had a US$ CD in BanReservas. I asked them and they assured me that BanReservas keeps the money here.

Anyways, it is a relief being poor. No more worries about where's my money.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
If I understood correctly......the bank owes a lot of money

to "foreign" depositors and investors as well as foreign financial groups. From what our friend was told (and no I didn't have money in Baninter so yes the info comes from a personal friend who does as I stated in my original post) those "foreign interests" will NOT be honoured! He was NOT given his money!!!
However he was told to come back later once the Central Bank had had more time to "sort things out".
It was a few hours after he left that the public announcement was made that Baninter would not be "run" by the Central Bank or sold to off shore interested parties but would be "liquidated".
I'm not sure of the Dominican definition of "liquidated" but back home it means assets held by the bank would be sold to pay off debt - first to "secured" debt holder then to unsecured - (they have a "guide" as to who gets paid first) and those at the bottom of the pecking order (usually depositors hold unsecured "fixed" certificates) end up with nothing when the debts exceed assets as is the case with Baninter.

Keep in mind when reading this post that the "normal" definitions of certain terms used are not necessarily "Dominican" definitions and that if the Central Bank "waffles" as much as other "official" parties the above could mean anything!!

Editted to add note to Criss:: Sadly to say Criss, oftimes in this world it's not who YOU are but "Who you know" that counts most!
What you have is secondary to the above!

Last edited:

JoeTurist

Jan 30, 2003
Should I kiss the account goodbye?

I do have a personal USD account with Baninter, balance is $800 to $900 USD, should I kiss this money goodbye? They were money for my next trip in December 2003, for gifts to relatives and such. This account I have it for years and was very convenient, instead of bringing travelers checks or cash,I was bring a certified world money order and let the bank manager figure things out ...
J.T.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
PLEASE Don't quote me JoeTurist.......

but my understanding is if you're willing to take it in pesos at an exchange rate of 21 to 1 you shouldn't have any problem. If you want to take it out in US$$$ you may have to wait a bit for it but it also shouldn't be a problem.....passbook personal savings accounts are usually considered "secure" - note the emphasis on usually.
If you're not coming down until Dec. it's kinda up in the air as too whether there will be any assets left to pay you with if the bank is indeed "liquidated" before then.

Apr 26, 2002
If you're not coming down until December, you should pray that the bank's assets are transfered to another bank rather than liquidated.

JoeTurist

Jan 30, 2003
Thanks for reply,
Should I spend the money on air fare and hotel to recuperate $800-$900usd, don't think so, I will leave this for Christmas, and pray in the mean time.
Thanks to all replys,
J.T.

NYC_Girl

Apr 15, 2003
WOW!!
I've just read through some posts regarding Baninter.. I wish I knew about DR1 sooner. I just joined while I was looking into the Baninter problems. I can look back and see that these problems were brewing since November 2002. Being in NY I just hear rumors but I can see Golo was on the money..

Interesting reading, I will continue to keep informed.

Thanks,