hotel rec.-single woman- SD

margherita

Apr 8, 2003
I am soliciting recommendations as a woman traveling alone. Is Hotel Palacio a safe bet? While cost is important, I prefer atmosphere and security to a cheap dump, and would prefer to stay in the Zona Colonial or Malecon. If it's relevant, I do speak some Spanish. I would like to get a true sense of the town, and not deal with chain anythings. Also, I love to dance, but don't want to give the wrong impression going out alone at night. Is that possible? Or is there a place I can readily meet other travellers or unassuming locals? Finally, would you recommend Boca Chica as a day trip to the beach, and would I get a hard time (as a woman) renting/riding a motorcycle there or to Puerto Plata and/or is it iffy theft-wise? I am a good driver and have had some experience with bikes. Thanks in advance for all your help. I have read the archives postings to other women travelling there alone, and am very excited to be visiting DR for the 1st time.

CMS

Jan 28, 2003
Palacio

Hotel Palacio is in a very safe place although I wouldn't recomend going out dancing alone at night. Maybe work out a deal with a taxi driver to drop you off at a club and pick you up later.
If you want to meet the people go to Boca Chica public beach, if you just want to rest quietly on the beach go to boca chica but get a day pass at the Hamaca.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Forget the motorcyle going to Puerto Plata. It is a long ride and dangerous trip from Santo Domingo to Puerto Plata on a motorcycle. The big danger is not theft but Dominican drivers and driving practices here.

There is excellent bus service with Caribe Tour between Santo Domingo and Puerto Plata. There are buses every hour both ways. Takes about 4 hours.

margherita

Apr 8, 2003
thanks

Many thanks for the tips and speedy reply. While I have a ton of experience traveling by myself in the U.S. and Europe, I realize the culture must be vastly different in the DR and don't want to get into any stupid situations. I am eager to meet people there, but don't want to give the wrong idea or do anything all-inclusive. Thanks again!

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Don't listen to Ken. I fear driving in Boston or LA more than I do Driving in the DR.
rent a Motorcycle and see the countryside. Meet the people. have fun.

anitabonita

Mar 6, 2003
fellow traveler

i have only travelled to the DR twice, the second time was alone. the main question is really whether you would like to meet people along the way. there will be many tourists as well as dominicans around you almost everywhere.

generally speaking other tourists were very open to conversation and i had no problem finding companions to go out dancing at night, etc. dominicans are also friendly and generally helpful as long as you are courteous.

basically you will have no problems anywhere if you use commons sense and are basically courteous but clear in your communication.

anita