live from the DR

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
Hey folks,

I am here in the DR at last after years of planning and waiting. I am still getting used to my new life but I am very happy so far. I spend most of my time getting my farm up and running.

Things i miss? hot water and a DSL connection...

Things I like? everything else...

Other notes: I had no problem getting into the country on a one way ticket, but i didnt enjoy paying an extra $100 for a 10lb luggage overweight fee.

If I ever get DSL installed I will post more on my adventures another time.

Stephen

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
WELCOME SHAD!!!

Glad you made it!!
Its a bit getting used to no hot water but after a while it seems normal.
Too bad about the over weight luggage. I used to weigh myself then hold the suitcase and wieigh me again. I'd rather pay an extra $100 for a whole suitcase than $100 for 10lbs. Big rip!!
Glad all is going good for you!!
Miss you in the chatroom!!

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Welcome, sjh, glad that you are here! We did the same thing as Jan with our luggage.

We are looking forward to bringing the kids out to see the farm.

Mainer

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Welcome Shad, hope it all goes well for you there and that our families can meet one day. Any excuse to go back to Cabrera!

Chiri

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
So good of you to let us know you arrived safely Shad. Hug and kiss the kids. Hope to read more soon.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hope you do well

Welcome to the DR.

I really hope you do well. Farming is usually pretty thankless.
Are you going to do cows? Pigs? or what?

HB

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
Good Luck sjh

Hope you enjoy your new life and good luck with the farming. I was raised on a farm and we work hard as hell. I am curious as Hillbilly what type of livestock are you raising? Beef cattle, Dairy cattle, hogs, goats, sheep, chickens, etc. I would assume you aren't a crop farmer but what type of soil are you in? Sorry about so many questions?
dale7(Howard)

linamia

"an unexamined life is not worth living"
Jan 2, 2002
www.pascual5designs.com
congrats!!!

Shad, I am so glad you are finally home, you must be a happy man now that you are with wifey (remember all those lonely nights in the chat room lol), missed chatting with you.

Guardame un aguacate para el veranao del 2004!

Siempre
Lina

Last edited:

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
Thanks for all your greetings..

Still no net connection so I will be brief.. I have some more great stories which I will post when I get a net connection

Yes I am very happy to be with my family again.

Raising Cattle... beef now moving towards milking. Will be doing some small scale agriculture too. I am attempting to go organic, but only if it is economically feasible.

No hot water because our house is an older one with only cold water lines. I will have to fix that soon.

I weighed my luggage too. I dont know how i was off by 10 lbs...

more later folks...

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Congrats on the move!!

Keep in mind that organic means higher prices automatically and there is a big demand in Europe for organic meat and produce.
Growing demand in North America also....

Good luck........and consider keeping bees as well!
I hear there's "Gold" in that golden liquid........