Apartments in Santo Domingo

Ryan Smith

Apr 9, 2003
My wife and I are moving to Santo Domingo this summer and need some advice about finding a one-bedroom apartment in the city. We're looking to spend in the $400-$600 U.S. range. Is that realistic? Are there any agencies or services that can assist? We're making a preemtive trip in June to find teaching work and a place to live before we move in late July. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Ryan Smith

CorletoLovesDR

Jul 8, 2002
Apart-hotels are a good option

Hello,

If you plan to move to Santo Domingo you can start by renting an apartment in an "Apart-Hotel". These are small furnished apartments with kitchenettes, that are also cleaned in a daily basis by service. About three years ago, I stayed in one of these for about 3 weeks, and the rent turned out to be around $5000 dominican pesos for that time period. It might be more expensive than that now. There are also different categories of apart-hotels. I stayed in a budget type, but you may also choose a more luxurious one if you like.

The apart-hotel that I stayed at is located in Jose Contreras Avenue (behind the U.A.S.D. university) which is a very nice and quiet part of town. I think there are two or three of them in this same area. Also, you could find some apart-hotels in the Naco neighborhood, which run for more money but are in a middle-to-upper class neighborhood. Also, I remember the Apart-Hotel Delta, in the Sarasota Avenue in the Bella Vista neighborhood, a very nice and pleasant neighborhood.

It would be a good idea for you to move into one of these first (since they don't require a deposit), and then, from there to start looking for a regular apartment to rent.

Good luck with your apartment hunting!