Buying a car in Puerto Plata

dpesante

Mar 24, 2003
I am trying to start a business in Puerto Plata and will need to buy a used car. Any reconmendations as to where to go to buy a car. Will I be able to get a much better deal if I pay in US $$. How about registration, etc. BTW I do have a close friend there that is native to Puerto Plata. Is it better for us to buy the car under him name instead of mine?

David

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Had you been reading this board for a period of time, you would have seen strong recommendations against putting up money but putting the purchase in the name of a local person. This is true whether the "purchase" is a car or investment in a business.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The dangers of owning a car

If you purchace a vehicle, place it in the Company's name.
Get a good insurance policy.
Do NOT put the vehicle in the name of anyone else. Either you or the Company.

Be cautious, always. consult a lawyer, be wise.

HB

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Your best bet for buying a car here is to go to Santiago - more choice, more competition = cheaper prices & better deals!! Take a mechanic with you, one you can trust, to check the cars you are interested in!! If you have problems in this respect, call or e-mail me.
Just heard today of a friend going back to UK for three months who wants to sell her Chevrolet pick-up. 1996, 4 cyl., GOOD working A/c, recon engine, complete with 6 months Fully Comp. insurance for RD $150,000 (negotiable). I don't know condition, but my friend is normally meticulous in what seh buys & uses personally.
DON't put the vehicle in the name of your Dominican friend - FAR too dangerous. Let him negotiate it for you certainly, but YOUR name must go on the bill of sale AND Metricula (or the Company name if you have one!!).
I live here in Puerto Plata so if you want more just yell me, I am in the Tel. Book. Feel free to e-mail or PM me if you prefer! - Grahame.

dpesante

Mar 24, 2003
I hear you. I guess I can put the car under my name even if I am a US citizen with a Florida driver's license.