dual citizenship

estrella

Apr 11, 2003
due to a job I need security clearance. I've been told that because I have dual citizenship (US and DR) it may hinder my clearance. I was told I have to relinquish my DR passport..do you have any information about this? or where could i find out? I'm a little confused with this situation and I don't know what to do. thanks

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Sounds like a load to me....

Giving up the passport means nothing as you can just apply for a renewal or replacement.

I am not sure if you can renounce your DR citizenship (if that is what the actually mean which is not the same) nor why you would or should.

Even "no longer dual" the risk would be the same.

I'd be right offended if anyone stipulated that.

BTW was it DR first then US or the other way or by birth to DR/US combo?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dolores is the guru on this topic

i think that further down the page she posted a bunch of websites that offer help with these types of problems...

HB

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
I think that having contact with foreign nationals will hinder your security clearance so either way you might not pass the test. I have a friend who just obtained hers but knows people who were unable to pass because they still had contact with their foreign relatives.

This all a load of crock in my opinion just because you have friends/relatives or dual citizenship has nothing to do with whether the gov't can trust you....IMHO.

Good luck I hear they look under every stone and will find all and any skeletons in the closet....