bringing 2 computers / Need to buy a car in July

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Your best bet is to wait untill you get here to shop around for a car. As for your computers, I assume you mean laptops (Notebooks) you should have no problem at all. Tell them you are writers or periodistas. As for Las Terrenas, well if you were there and liked it, what can anyone add. Good luck on you move.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
For GOSH sakes Phil, SLOW down!!!! Everything takes time in this country. Where are you staying before you go down to Las Terrenas, surely you're not going down there the day that you arrive? If so, why buy a car up here, wouldn't it be better to buy your car down there??!!
Nearest car dealer to Puerto Plata airport is Sosua. Nearest HONEST car dealer is perhaps in Miami!! The nearest "best deals" would be able to be seen in Santiago where there is much more choice (& competition!!). YES, I can recommend my mechanic to come with you, he would need about RD $2,000 for a full days work - but he DOES speak English & he IS honest & reliable .... I trained him myself!!!!

I know of a 1996 Chevrolet pick-up 4 cyls, with A/c, recon engine etc going for RD $150,000 (negotiable), which includes 6 months worth of Fully Comp insurance. Haven't checked it over yet, I only got the information today. It belongs to a woman friend who is going back to England for a short while. If you want more info I will gladly go check it out with my mechanic friend.

Bringing in your laptops should not be a problem - you are only here for a "holiday" after all!!! Well, that's what you tell the customs people, you'll be taking them back out of the country when you leave in two weeks time!!!

If you need more, e-mail me. I live in Puerto Plata & can introduce you to some rogues who mascarade as car dealers!!! - Grahame.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
phileco, I strongly recommend that you take BushBaby up on his offer to be of assistance. You will end up far better off with his help than on your own.

I lived in the Samana area for a number of years before moving to Sosua. I recommend that you buy your car before going to Las Terrenas. As BushBaby indicated, you will probably get the best buy and best selection in Santiago.

Get a room in Puerto Plata for a few days. Puerto Plata Beach Hotel has good deals; there may be others equally good, or better. Talk with BushBaby about this. And let Grahame (BushBaby) advise you.

You can contact Grahame by email or PM by clicking on one of the buttons below one of his posts.