power outlets

olechowskimd

Mar 5, 2003
I will be travel to the DR next week from the US and was just wonder if they use the same power outlets as in America or do I need to buy an adapter...

Thanks in advance for any info.....

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
olechowskimd said:
I will be travel to the DR next week from the US and was just wonder if they use the same power outlets as in America or do I need to buy an adapter...

Thanks in advance for any info.....

120V AC/ 60 hz, but depending on the location power outages and surges are not rare, so a surge protector (and there are reasonably small ones to travel with) are a good idea.

katty

Mar 14, 2003
iIn punta Cana I had to have an adapter to work cell phone and (got to have the curling iron) at the resort I stayed at

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Only if you came from Europe

Unless the plugs are very strange, unless you come from Europe, there is no need to use an adapter. The surge protecter is a good idea..that's for sure.

HB

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Re: Only if you came from Europe

Hillbilly said:
Unless the plugs are very strange, unless you come from Europe, there is no need to use an adapter. The surge protecter is a good idea..that's for sure.

HB

I have found at some Italian designed hotel properties those round two prong sockets are there for some odd reason but usually there are plug adapters since the appliances and TV's they bought don't fit the plugs. Maybe that was the case but strange to find. Still 120V/60Hz.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
YUP! That is exactly what I meant

By "Strange". They use the European outlets, built for 220/50 cycles for our 110/60 cycle and the flat jacks will need an adaptor to work......

Good call, Rick...

HB

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Re: YUP! That is exactly what I meant

Hillbilly said:
By "Strange". They use the European outlets, built for 220/50 cycles for our 110/60 cycle and the flat jacks will need an adaptor to work......

Good call, Rick...

HB

So if you are coming from Europe you are in luck, from Canada or USA buy the adaptors which in my multi ethnic neighborhood were only 89 cents each - I had to buy some for Chile where they are quite in vogue as power there is 220V/50Hz.

Thank goodness there for computer powersupplies/battery chargers that are dual voltage switching.

BTW the Costalunga in BC is one that has all these wonky plugs, and the adapters are darned helpful as are 3 prong to 2 prong (North American) adapters as the plugs are not grounded either.