Good bye codetel (internet flash) and hello cable modem.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Good news for people who are fed up with Codetel phone company which provide (DSL) internet flash at an expensive cost and not to mention the hassle and the waiting time to have the damn thing installed properly. Cable modem is here and spreading rapidely in SD and in santiago. It would be very simple to have it installed and without a heavy duty contract (as in internet flash). CableNet is one company in santiago which is wiring up my neighborhood, however, I had also seen Aster wiring up the rame area as well. Seems like we will be having a stiff conpetition among the cable providers.
EX: cablenet is offering 80 channels plus 256 KBPS download / upload speed of internet for only 750 pesos / month. This certainly frees up your telephone line and gives you fast internet connection for alot less than you would pay for DSL from codetel. Currently the better neighborhoods are being wired in santiago and I imagine SD is more wide spread.
Look into it and please give me a review of this new service.
Have a wonderful day.
AZB

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Interesting. I was wondering why codetel called me the other day for an "internet survey".. and then a few days later my bandwidth speed was increased. I now have 384k down, 256k up, it used to be 256k down, 128k up. I still pay RD $995/month, which is US$41.50/month. That price is lower than most DSL in the US, although with a lot less bandwidth.

When I last checked out Tricom's DSL service they charge 3X the price for equivalent service. They were not at all competitive.

Competition is definitely a good thing, and I'd be happy to see the prices drop. However I would be careful of signing up with a brand new ISP. Usually there is a learning curve for the company to learn how to manage a network - particularly for a cable company which has no internet experience. If my internet access was as unreliable as my cable TV, I'd go crazy.

Even though Codetel used to have lots more outages - as of lately, the service quality I am getting is close to perfect.

Anyways, I'll be very interested to hear if someone is using either Aster or Cablenet.

Adrian

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Hmmm. . . . .Adrian, where do you live. I have had the 384/256 plan for months and started off paying $1450 pesos per month. Then there was a fairly decent increase. Maybe, I'll call and see if I can get my bill lowered or better yet faster bandwith.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
I'm in Santiago.

Of course, my increased speed could be a codetel mistake as well. One never knows!

Check your bandwidth by doing this:

Go to http://www.myip.dk. This will show your ip address.

Then view http://xx.xx.xx.xx (entering your ip address from the previous page).

You will see your up/down speed there, along with other configuration information. You may already have a faster connection.

Adrian

Chilipepper

Mar 28, 2003
Where in Santiago...

are you? My parents just moved to La Esmeralda and were waiting for cable/moden installation.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
La esmeralda is one of the better neighborhoods of santiago. They should have the cable modem already, if not, then soon.

JDub

Apr 7, 2003
i live in the US and I was wondering if DR had broadband yet. By reading this topic, I see that it's cheaper than it is in the US. What's the catch? Do you still have those 1 year contracts too?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
We have had DSL at DR1 since 1997. One year, nope, two :)

In many parts of Santo Domingo we also have cable (Aster and Tricom).

JDub

Apr 7, 2003
that just goes to show you how long it's been since i've been there and how much has changed!!! The crazy thing is that i didn't even have a computer in 97!!

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
WHAT ADEAL GUYS

I'M PAYING $59.00 DOLLARDS HERE IN MIAMI FOR 128 K UP 128 K DOWN MAN! IT COST AN ARM ANDA LEG TO HAVE THOS 384 K IS LIKE $300.00 DOLLARDS HERE WITH BELLSOUTH WHAT A DEAL GUYS:mad:

RedrumXIII

Jun 20, 2002
que mal!

Dude, look into RCN. Look what came my way last week; I signed up!

___
Put the WOW! back into your Internet experience. RCN MegaModem, the newest RCN advantage, is all about speed. This super-charged high-speed Internet access provides you with up to 3Mbps download speed - that's twice the download speed of a regular RCN cable modem.
___

Edwin

T

TiberiusMineola

Puerto Plata. Cable Modem?? When?

Any information or intelligent speculation on when Cable Modem will come to Puerto Plata? Oh wel, . . . uninformed speculation? Rumors? Wishful thinking? Thank you.

theartofbone

Oct 28, 2003
Wow, poor miami guy. How can bellsouth charge so much for DSL? Here in New Mexico I pay Covad approx $51.00 per month for 128K UP / 1500K DOWN! Im lookin to find similar rates in SD when I go down there..

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
I use Aster Cable in Santiago and I'm happy with it. I currently have 256k and I'm thinking of going up to 512k.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
How much do you pay for Aster cable service in Santiago?

I thought Aster didn't offer this in Santiago yet, it says on their website they only have it in Santo Domingo..

Bobs

Jan 8, 2002
DSL or Cable ?

I'm somewhat familiar with the problems of Codetel landlines for DSL. But I also know about a shared medium like cable/coax.
The two don't compare. Once more cablenet-connections start being added in your neighborhood, you lose speed pronto.
Sure, they can spice up a coax-connection and try and make it more stable. None of the schemes I've seen really made a difference. Not until I switched to xDSL, could I watch the news on CDN via the internet, here in Europe. Best thing would be fibre-to-home, but they are still working on that. Best think twice before going to cable.

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
Call up Aster they will tell you if they have it in your area. Not all of Santiago is covered yet.

128k was 600 pesos and change if I remember correctly. 256k is just under 1,000 pesos per month. 512k is 1,500 or 1,600 pesos per month.

The problem with cablem modems in the US is they hook everyone with a 10 megabit connection. It doesn't take long for a few people to sap most of the bandwidth.

Aster is selling the bandwidth more like a dedicated connection. By limiting the maximum amount of bandwidth anyone user gets (dictated by how much they pay for), you don't get a few people killing the line.