DSL computer hookup

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
What kind of a port does one need to get DSL hookup. This is something I know NOTHING about, so, please, bear with me.

Thanks
Mainer

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
No special port. What is important, I understand, is where you live. You must be within a certain proximity of the appropriate Codetel facility.

For example, Dean Brown told me that homes in the Perla development would probably never have DSL because they live outside the service area.

I know when I applied for DSL, the first thing they asked me was where I lived. Until they verified it was within the service area, they wouldn't talk about giving me DSL.

(Just deleted the reference to Sea Horse Ranch. When I wrote it, I was thinking of Flash, not DSL.)

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
DSL and Flash are the same thing.

You need to be within a certain distance of an exchange that has the necessary DSL equipment.

Your computer needs a network card.
Codetel will supply a DSL modem for a small monthly fee that plugs into the network card.

If you want to share your connection you just plug in a DSL router into the modem and everyone in the house can be on at the same time.

DSL works over a standard phone line (twin copper).

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
Here's some info

Ken and Robert bring up good points. Your physical distance from the phone company's central office determines whether you are within a valid DSL service area and if so, it also determines the receive/transmission speed.

Click HERE to see how distance affects those speeds.

I know a couple of people here in Illinois who live close enough to their CO that they achieve download/upload speeds of 1536/768. Fast! See Verizon's 12,000 ft. data.

Even if you now live outside a DSL service area, technological advances might allow you to connect in the future. I don't have access to DSL or cable, so am probably looking at one way or 2 way satellite as the next-best thing.

Swede

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
For those able to get DSL service, Codetel will also supply the card. I got mine from them when I switched from dial up.

Maybe someday codetel will put a central office in Cabarete. Then homes in the Perla area will be able to get DSL. Of course, you can also hope for technological advances that permit your area to receive this service.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
What about this new Cable Modem service from Astre? DSL is OK, but I have always had Cable Modems etc. Plus, I heard it is cheaper and I get 80 channels or so? Is there a website or phone number?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
You need a LAN connector in your computer to accomodate DSL connection. I have seen codetel simply connect to phone modem on your laptop with standard phone jack type connection. this defeats the whole purpose and you never see the DSL speed. This happened to my friend when he had a laptop. Now he bought a desktop with a LAN connector built-in to the motherboard. Now (for the first time) he is seeing the blazzing speed of dsl.
Note: If codetel would to supply and install a LAn card in to your desktop PC then make sure you have empty PCI slot to accomodate it. If you have a laptop without a LAN connector in the back, codetel will not install a LAN card into your laptop.

JDub

Apr 7, 2003
^^^Like Hlywud said you can use USB instead of a ethernet adapter(aka LAN connection-the connection needed to connect the DSL modem to your PC). If you're not sure if you have an ethernet adapter, then just stick with a USB modem cause all computers made in the last 5 years have USB ports. USB will be cheaper and easier, which is the best thing if you're not too computer savy.

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
I have a LAN port that lets me connect to a LAN via an RJ45 connection. At least that is what the book says.

Am I understanding correctly that my computer is compatible with DSL hook-up, or do I still need a network card.

Provided, of course, that I move somewhere that it is offered.

I guess, to explain further, I am looking to move to a temporary rent with no phone service. I can kinda sorta get DSL hook-up if the computer is compatible. My husband thinks that he was told when we bought it that it was not DSL compatible. We have no idea where or how to find out.

Thanks for your patience.

Mainer

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Yep the lan port is all you need. If you didn't have one it would be no big deal as they are cheap cards anyway.

I had an old Pentium II hooked up to my DSL at one point and I might add it back on when I get back down there.

I have my apartment wired for WIFI so my laptop has net connection without having to be tethered to the router.
The only problem is my battery has died, so I need to plug in anyway!

JDub

Apr 7, 2003
mainer said:

I guess, to explain further, I am looking to move to a temporary rent with no phone service. I can kinda sorta get DSL hook-up if the computer is compatible. My husband thinks that he was told when we bought it that it was not DSL compatible. We have no idea where or how to find out.

I think this is another question so I'll try to answer it. If you're asking whether or not DSL will work without a phone line the answer is no. SO if you're moving to a temp place with no phoneline, then you can't get internet access

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
addendum

Robert said:
DSL and Flash are the same thing.

You need to be within a certain distance of an exchange that has the necessary DSL equipment.

Your computer needs a network card.
Codetel will supply a DSL modem for a small monthly fee that plugs into the network card.

If you want to share your connection you just plug in a DSL router into the modem and everyone in the house can be on at the same time.

DSL works over a standard phone line (twin copper).

Certain DSL modems (including Westell), which may or may not be available through Codetel, have USB connectivity. That capability could save you the 30 to 40 euro cost of a NIC (ethernet) PC card.