Dominican in Iraq & Citizenship

semperinfidelis

Apr 15, 2003
As you probably know, a Dominican serving in the Marine Corps died in Iraq. Though this news is very sad, I am torqued at the comment the Marine's father made...

"Eight years in the military, and they never made him a citizen," he
complained. "I wouldn't be surprised if President Bush now grants him
citizenship after his death. But it's too late - a piece of paper is
not going to bring my son back."

Whatever man, get your facts straight. I served five years in the Marine Corps and I became a citizen last year. To be eligible you must have served 3 years of active duty. Matter of fact, the 3 year rule thing has been done away with and as of July of 2002, President Bush signed for a law that requires just one day, that's right, 1 day of active duty in the U.S. military to become eligible for citizenship.
The military is not going to automatically make you a citizen 'cause you join. It's your responsibility to fill out the appropiate INS forms to get your citizenship going. Becoming eligible is one thing, but applying for naturalization is another thing. So why did this gentleman not take the necessary steps to obtain his citizenship when having served eight years?
My only advice to the father is to not blame the citizenship issue on the U.S. but rather on the Marine himself.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
I think your discussion belongs in the Open>General forum..this is more for General travel issues. I also notice this is your first post so welcome to DR1.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
It's called "stubborness"........

My husband's brother was adopted by an aunt living in the US when he was five. He automatically had the "rights" of a US citizen until the age of 18 when to retain those rights he had to apply himself for citizenship (while citizenship may be inferred for a minor it can not be "forced" upon one so at the age af majority one must apply personally for citizenship). He never did!
He did volunteer for the military and spent time as a Marine. He figured if he was swearing loyalty to the flag every day he was a citizen and didn't need to do anything else!!
He refused to go to apply for his citizenship because he WAS a citizen...........had no problem voting,working etc until 36 yrs later when he went to get his passport to come visit us in the DR and discovered he was in deep doodoo 'cause he'd never renewed his residency either!!
We've been telling him that for years!!!
Go figure........

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
I'm currently active-duty AF and I've been told by alotta people here that to re-enlist I'm gonna need to get my citizenship. Maybe its different in other branches but in the USAF you can't get jobs that require secret or top-secret clearances or re-enlist without the blue passport

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
Citizenship

May those who died for freedom in Iraq rest in peace.

I know MANY people who live in the US eligible for

citizenship here who do not apply. Whatever there

reasons that remains there choice. Is it possible

that our fallen Marine did not want to apply?

Semperinfidelis, I agree with you.

Semper Fidelis,

JD

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
jose?to said:
Co?asasazo, dejen que ese padre opine lo que le de la gana. After all, he lost a son.

-Jose?to

So what?

Does that give him the right to Lie? Or at least be a pawn of a liberal media with a anti-American agenda?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I got edited, I might as well delete the whole thing.

Last edited:

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Some rules I live by:

If you make a comment in public expect people to respond!

Ignorance is never an excuse!

Nobody is innocent!

Nobody is off-limits for whatever reason!

Life goes on with or without you!

I have lost many friends and some relatives over the course of my life. I never used that excuse to make ignorant statements.
I can think of a lot of more people who are responible for his son's death than The President.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
The U.S. Military provides ample information to its troops regarding these citizenship matters. It is up to the troops to act upon them.

...........And Tony please be sensitive to an "ignorant" Dominican man's heartbreak, he is a pawn to his emotions not the liberal media. Regards, PJT

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
PJT said:
The U.S. Military provides ample information to its troops regarding these citizenship matters. It is up to the troops to act upon them.

...........And Tony please be sensitive to an "ignorant" Dominican man's heartbreak, he is a pawn to his emotions not the liberal media. Regards, PJT

That's true, normally news like this are mentioned during formations by unit commanders or also during roll calls. Sometimes those things are divulged at the commander's convenience. I'm already working on my papers so I could get that out of the way. And Tony, remember what you just said about expecting a response every time an opinion is made in public, that shit goes right back to you or whoever made the comment in the first place. The man is in pain. He should be able to express how he feels, it doesn't mean that he's a motherfukkin liberal, besides old Dominicans never go against the grain, they're very conservative. That's part of my duty, to help protect the rights and freedoms of this nation, maybe someday some conservative idiot who wants to censor everyone who doesn't agree with him or some nincompoop liberal who wants to pull some sneaky shit on people just to make money will understand what the fukk that means.

Excuse the foul language yall I'm just venting.:angry: :mad:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I read in the papers

that the man did not want to change his citizenship. In fact the first articles sort of made that a point.

As Semper Fi said, it was his option.

The kid did what he wanted to do, God rest his soul.

HB

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
This thread leaves a really sick taste in my mouth.

The marine that was killed was the first cousin of one of my close friends in Santiago. I spent some time with them on Sunday. The entire famiily was absolutely devastated, it was terrible to see. They just couldn't believe it.

For people to be attacking someone at a time like this is in really poor taste. You should be ashamed.

Adrian

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
His families feelings at what must be a tragic event for them is not lost on me. That said I can honestly say that I feel no shame with what I have posted here.
My chief complaint is with the Media who used the fathers ignorance in pushing their own anti-american agenda.

G.I.

Nov 25, 2002
Life was not lost in vain....

I feel sorry for this young man and his family.And all that have lost some in that theater. For the citizenship issue it was his right to choose what he wanted and he did. But to write the Statement SEMPHI FI like you know what that hell it means, is a joke. I have over 16 years active duty time and I am Hispanic as well am married to a dominican and served with many dominicans in the military. And I am as proud to have served with them as equal to any American Citizen. I dont know why he joined the military, but it seems it wasnt to get his green card. He had a job to do like we all do in the military.

http://www.pressaprint.com/som/wesupportu.htm>

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Semper Fidelis

To loose a son in war must be a horrible experience but I dont see how making his son a citizen would lessen the pain of such loss. How would granting a deceased person an american citizenship make his death more understandable or tolerable? Unless, his sole reason for joining the marines would be to obtain the citizenship he so badly wanted. (i guess)

I cant help but think, if he were alive today and was given a choice, to die in order to become an american citizen or to live the rest of his life as an immigrant, what would he choose?
Would he be 'semper fidelis' to the corps even if he were never a citizen?
Did he join just to be a citizen or did want to be a soldier?
I think he should be buried as what he was when he died, a soldier.

I dunno. Oh well, life goes on.

Sorry, I've never found much idealism in war.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
the left wing media

Continues not only to use the pain and suffering of these families, but in addition some parents are acting irresponsibly in their grief and in some cases are beginning to pressure for special dispensations not given to other soldiers.

For instance, a Latin family went to a TV program to denounce that the U.S. government did not help them with the burial arrangements of their son, because they did not pay the additional cost of burying him in Mexico. The U.S. has a regulation for every soldier, and every soldier knows when they sign up, that they must be buried in the U.S. if the cost is to be paid.

Besides, the parents are not respecting their sons and the reasons they joined. They join to defend their new motherland at all costs. They wanted it to fight, regardless of how their families felt. Duty was bigger than family.

It is a sign of weakness, hypocrisy and self-interest on the part of these parents, who are now trying to show their true colors.

They never complained when their sons sent $US dollars for years to support their asses.

As for me, I have no respect at all for their grief. Its phony to me.
This is the time to show these heroes to the world who fought for freedom.

I was extremely proud to see a Dominican soldier showing our flag in Bagdad. He did the right thing. Besides, Hippo legally supported the war and is going to send soldiers soon. Our Dominican contingent exceeded 200. They fought well and wanted to fight for both flags. They all have rights to dual citizenship. But in the case of the U.S. they must apply for it.

TW

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I hope they receive those rights.
I thought military service was an automatic approval.
mk

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
We do receive that as a right and it's approved because of the Executive order that the President gave last 4th of July but all the proper forms still have to be filled out and sent in. The INS set aside one of their processing centers exclusively for military applications and it speeds up the processing time, bringing it down to about a 6-8 month average for each application. Then it goes even faster because that's the first and largest hurdle to clear. I believe the center is in Nebraska.