Want to know what "LIFE" is really like in the Dominican Republic?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Then "clic" on DR1.com,and read the Daily News" summary for today(Wed.16 April) read all the news summaries! You will see why there is very little hope for the future in this country!Even the Cardinal agrees! The Government steals every cent available that should be used to improve the living conditions for the 90 % of the people who are poor! Then taxes the 8 % who earn a good living so they can be "poor" too!IT really SUCKS!!!! Enjoy your week or two at the "All-Inclusive",but you might as well be on Mars if you think you know the DR!CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Last edited:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Better yet come on down for six months or so!!

It's a great place to visit!! Even for those who live here!

But those who DO live here know what you have to be willing to "accept" to do so!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Whats wrong with the system?

If everyone were rich and treated fairly on even basis then who would do the following? ex: wash your car for 30 pesos, work in your house for 2k pesos / month, have sex with ugly tourist for 300 - 500 pesos, polish your shoes for 5 pesos, cut your grass for 100 pesos, fix your car for cheap rates etc etc.
the list goes on.
The only reason you old gringos have girls younger than your daughters is because you have the money and they don't. If you think they are with you because they are in love with you, you are mistaken. So thank this corrupt dominican system for giving you exactly what you enjoy the most in this country.
As for myself, I love it the way it is. I am part of the system and I know the ropes. The sooner you realize the reality of this country, the better your life will be. I used to complain like you all until I realized that you can't change the system, might as well join it.
Now I actually prefer to pay from under the table rather than to have it done legally. Its always faster approach and things get done the way you prefer them to be done at your convenience. I break red lights when there are no traffic concerns. I make friends with important dominicans who protect me and help me get what I want. I love the mismanagement and chaos this country has to offer. I am the type of a person who doesn't like too many rules and imposed laws. Just can't walk between 2 narrow lines. I hate legal paper work and all the deadlines one has to meet in USA. If fact, we have no rules and the unorganization kills any new rules that the government want to implement. If you don't see the way I see things in this country, then maybe you don't belong here. this is a great place to visit but very few can actually survive here if they don't go with the grain.
Viva republica.

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
Is this directed at me or Chris CCC, AZB?

First, if it is, I am not some old gringo. I am a very attractive, 26 year old male and my photos are in the gallery. I major in social work so of course I am a humanitarian and work full-time along with that in Construction. I am sorry, only those with the money applaud the system. I don't have anything else to say. I don't delight in the privilege of some and the oppression of the poor. No angel here but I do have feelings for others beside myself and I have been the tourist that exploited women but if I didn't others would have. My mindset has changed recently and I like the DR and its people but it needs an overhaul and I know I could live there and eventually I will. Now if you were criticizing Chris CCC, continue on, lol.
dale7(Howard)

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem!!!

So some of us do try to improve the situation of those facing hardships........

Dec 9, 2002
"clic" on DR1.com,and read the Daily News" summary for today(Wed.16 April) read all the news summaries! You will see why there is very little hope for the future in this country!
I don't often agree with Crisssssssssss (or however many s's you need), but I do on this one! It is only since I started reading the DR1 News that I realised how little I actually knew about the DR. Even though I have been visiting 3 or 4 times a year for the last 4 years, and even though I always get out of the AI, I still didn't realise how bad things are over there.

It is still my intention to live over there, but the DR1 news has made me realise that now is not the right time.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My post is not meant to discourage anyone!

That is not my style.Just to inform,in my own cynical/sarcastic way.Let it also be said,that living in the DR as a single person with no responsibilities to others,like "you know who",is not the same as taking care of ten people,if you include the maid,and one more on the way!Even if you have money,and know how to "work" the system,life is not just "Beaches",and "Bitches" in the DR!You have to do everything yourself!If you have the money you can find people to do "things" for you.They are usually incompetent,and try to "Rip you off"!
Keep both eyes open,and both hands on you money!CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc(NO "S"es!!!)

"They DON"T love me???" You've GOT to be kidding! "NO WAY!"

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Another on the way? Wow Criss buddy. Congrats!

We are talking about a baby right? Not another maid.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
It's not worth it Indie...it's accepted as humour on this board

Indie, I agree that the statement was a gratuitous non-sequitur and a dreadful slur. I'm embarrassed by it frankly, even though I didn't make it.

I don't think it's a worthwhile use of your energy protesting it here because it only encourages more of the same. I am an optimist who believes we are intrinsically more good than evil. So, I'm confident that time and the natural course of human development will cause this sort of thing to go the way of bloodletting, slavery, ritual killings, and the plague.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
I understood linamia's remark perfectly...

That's just the sort of comentario t?pico that people make to us gringos who choose to procreate with Dominicans. I'm more familiar with "refinando la raza", myself.

Laugh or cry, it's your choice.

jose?to

The thread finally snapped...
Jun 19, 2002
MamIndie...

Please do not worry about a thing. C. Col?n's wife is having my baby; I'm her baby('s) daddy. What a lovely way for her to tell me that she loves me!

-Jose?to

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Are you the same one who posted that there is little or no discrimination in the DR?

Jane J. said:
I understood linamia's remark perfectly...

That's just the sort of comentario t?pico that people make to us gringos who choose to procreate with Dominicans. I'm more familiar with "refinando la raza", myself.

Laugh or cry, it's your choice.

There are many choices besides the two you mentioned, of which I made one.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Being Cuban means that every woman I have had sex with I have also been mejorando la raza!

You people really need to lighten up.

BTW If a German has sex with a Dominican just which one is Mejorando la raza?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Tony C said:
BTW If a German has sex with a Dominican just which one is Mejorando la raza?

Good question!

I don't think it's a subject that can't be joked about, as long as it is clear that it is a joke. This was not the case in the post that led to these discussions.

Chiri

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
listen

I have known lina from here for a long time.There were no bad intentions there.She dosent have to explain herself to anyone.Give her a break.
Larry

jose?to

The thread finally snapped...
Jun 19, 2002
I agree with Chiri.

And Larry, while lina didn't mean it, your knowing her from here is not the question, for you also know the jazz man.

Tony, some of us don't need to "lighten up"; we love our dark skin.

-Jose?to
Mitad indiecito claro, mitad morenito sepillao. And 100% pariguayo.

Last edited:

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
The underlying racism in our country (as opposed to the sheet-wearing lunatics) is sometimes TRULY annoying. Some comments have sometimes even gotten almost-violent responses from me. Specially when people - condescendingly or not - tell me "you're not really black". Nowadays it just gets a "whatever" out of me.

Having gotten that out of my system... I think Linamia was joking. I am confident that she is NOT a racist. But I understand the knee-jerking from others. I myself have kicked my own forehead a few times on hearing such comments.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
it's not so complicated

I don't remember asking anyone to explain anything. Neither did I accuse anyone of any particular viewpoints. I did in fact characterize certain comments and if the shoe fits then wear it.

Generally speaking, I am only somewhat less disappointed when I hear that sort of thing from Dominicans of average education and cultivation (in this country, rarely more than 8 years of formal schooling and next to no international exposure) than I am when I hear it from those who have had greater advantages.