hop skip and jump from the next island over

Clarita

Apr 18, 2003
Well I have just returned to Jamaica after a week in DR. My friend known to some of you on this site as Chirimoya (or something like that - sorry if the spelling is wrong) put me up, put up with me and welcomed me open armed into her home - Aunt I, I thank you! But she has also told me I have to write a trip report about my stay....Humph, it feels too much like a school assignment so I am not going to go into every detail ("On my first morning I got up late and had coffee, bananas and pineapple for breakfast etc etc etc).
What I will say is that I had a great time, that I was very grateful after four months of living in Kingston to discover some fabulous shops in SD (Zara! Mango!), that I stuffed my face on delicious fresh food every day, that I met some great people - including others known to you on this site as Amber and Pib (Amber - my knee has more or less healed now! Sorry about being such a clumsy clot and thanks again for the wonderful meal). We also visited beautiful beaches on the Semana peninsular, drank plenty of your local beer and spent hours discussing the faults of the Dominican men (and the faults of the Jamaican men, the British men etc etc etc).
I gather there was a little debate going on on this site at one point about the differences between jamaica and DR, and which was a better country. I can't say, after one week in DR that I am an expert. But I would like to offer a few opinions:

DR probably has better beaches
But Jamaica is probably a prettier country overall. (ok I only saw a small part of DR. But Jamaica IS very pretty...!).
DR has a greater variety of eating establishments in its capital.
But Kingston has a fabulous Thai and Indian, both of which I am informed are lacking in SD.
The seafood in DR is wonderful.
The seafood in Jamaica is outstanding.
There is no jerk in DR. After I have eaten jerk chicken for the nineteenth time in three days, this would seem like a good thing. However I think I would miss the chilli if I lived in DR.
Driving is probably worse outside the cities in Jamaica, but worse in SD than in Kingston.
The men are apparently usually unfaithful in both countries.
The women are fantastic in both countries.
Generally I find the Jamaicans friendlier to strangers - but that could be because my Spanish is not too good.
There are better shops in DR. Without a doubt.
Sex tourism appears to be more of a problem/issue in DR, although it exists here. HIV/AIDS is a massive problem in both.
The Domincan government appears not to be toeing the Caricom line about the Iraq war. The jamaican's remain steadfast in their anti-views.
Which music is better depends very much on your taste. I am a little tired of the whole dancehall DJ rapping scene. But some of the Jamaican music is excellent. On the other hand, I am a big fan of merengue and Kingston generally is going Latin mad (have just returned from a salsa class myself!).
Baseball v Cricket? Give me a good game of footy any day!
Presidente is a good beer. I still think I prefer Red Stripe Light though.
The rum is good in both countries, but the Cuba Libres I drank in DR were better than any I have drunk here.

Well I guess this has gone on a bit long so will end here, but please feel free to add to my list or tell me it is total rubbish (are we allowed to swear on this site? Rubbish seems a bit tame!)
Cheers!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
A+

Wow - that was quick! Great report.

I gave you an A+ on your school assignment. Any quicker and I would have called you a girly swot.

Chiri

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Hi Clarita!

Nice to hear that you enjoyed your visit to our little piece of an island. That was a fun trip report to read. Nothing else to be expected from a fun, nice girl.

I hope that you come back soon. Really soon.

Pib

Amber

Jan 24, 2003
Great report, Clara!

Loved having you over and promise to catch you next time :)
Hope next visit wil be lsoon and longer so I can take you to Gringo Beach.
xox
Amber