Medical Transportation Insurance

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
We are thinking about spending the winter months in the Sosua, Cabarete area after retirement. Although there seems to be good medical care offered in the area I think I would feel more comfortable knowing that for more specialized procedures I could have transportation back to the N.Y. area. Thanks for the help!
John
:cool:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
What sort of specialized procedures are you thinking of? Unless I needed something like brain surgery, I would be inclined to have it here. There are excellent doctors and medical facilities in Santo Domingo and also in Santiago.

Citizens of some other countries come to the DR because of the quality of the medical services available.

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
There are many International Insurance policies that will cover you here and provide Medivac for serious illnesses/injuries to the US. It will not cover you if you live in the US.

There is also Mas Vida, which provides Medivac and critical care treatment in the US for residents outside of the US. I will try to email you the rate sheet.

We have had a lot of help through Sabine Mertes in Sosua. I posted her number on a previous thread. Let me know if you need it.

Mainer

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
Thanks Mainer for your reply. I didn't receive your email rate sheet. Could you try again and give me the # of Sabine Mertes?

Ken, I was in no way being critical of the available medical care in country! In fact everything that I have read is reassuring. This is strictly a "piece of mind" thing. I was thinking about complex cardio-thoracic surgical procedures or oncology type care, chemo and radiation therapy.
John

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
johnsr,
Sabine's cell phone number is 841-7600.
Her email is sabine.mertes@codetel.net.do

I cannot send an attachment via DR1 email. You need to pm me with an email address that I can use with yahoo to send the attachment of the rates. Or Sabine can send it to you, as she is the person who sent it to me. The insurance is called Mas Vida.

Mainer